iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

treefarmer Skidder help

Started by HuZzEy, May 16, 2011, 07:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuZzEy

3 years ago me and my father bought this  old treefarmer skidder the guy we bought it from said it was a 1968 c5 but I'm not sure I do know it has rockwell pr 54 axles (had to buy a planetary for it) Ronni at Nash helped us out with that. 353 detroit. The ID tag at the top says cancar garrett treefarmer. the modal was left blank? I do have a serial #  6A05451 thats all that is on it. I talked to someone at Franklin and there is no record of that number. anyways I'm looking for a parts manual for it I would just like to have one I have pics also it's been a great skidder just don't try pushing rocks 2 times it's size Thanks James.

thats a JD winch

treefarmer87

mine is similar to that :) im not sure about the manuals. ebay maybe? or a dealer can help
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

you need to talk the the boys at davco in farmington. they know their treefarmers better than tree farmer.

HuZzEy

davco was trying to sell me a planetary for a pr 68 instead of a 54 thats why I'm thinkingit's a c4 not c5 ronni at nash said it could be either but neither could tell me the year thanks for your help

HuZzEy

treefarmer87 does ID plate say any thing or not thanks

tapper2

Don't know but, I love that skidder!! Older machines are awesome!!
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

HuZzEy

thanks tapper we picked it up for 5k and have only put like $350 into it in 3yrs and it's very easy on fuel like 5gals per 10 cord I do need a tire for it if anyone has one they are 18.4x34's it can be bald as long as casing is good no deeeeep cuts thanks

mad murdock

HuZzEy, I'd guess it was a C4.  It looks to me like that winch is a JD3310 or 3315? The machine is roughly the same size as my "64 Tree Farmer, mine was built in Enumclaw, WA before CanCar bought the line from Garrett, and has a Ford 172D and Gearmatic 8A winch.  Here are a couple shots of it for comparison....

The blades look real similar in size and design.
Here is a copy of a vitnage brochure from Garrett
and the other side of the brochure
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

BTW HuZzEy, that is a nice looking machine you got there!  I paid 3k for mine, and am just getting around to really fixing her up.  I used it with all it's ailments for the past 5 years, drug out about 10 truckloads of logs with it over that time, and it was about done. (see my thread on Ford industrial question(s).) I should have it back and purring in another week or so. If Davco doesn't have what  you need I was able to get some info for my machine from Don Garrett, who passed away a little over a year ago, but his son, (great grandson of Dwight Garrett, who invented the first articulated skidder), was trying to sell off the rest of what they had there in Enumclaw.  I had a post on this forum about it a year or so ago.  I have also seen some old skidder manuals on ebay and craigslist from time to time.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Huzzey,welcome to the forum. Good job on the pictures. Nice skidder.I see you are new here. Have you found this thread,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html        Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
Post a few of your pictures in this thread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HuZzEy

thanks murdock it is a great machine for what we do we just selective cut off our 250 acre wood lot. It's not a peach but it gets the job done

treefarmer87

HuZzEy ill check it in the morning and write it down or take a pic. i know one part of it says C5. :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bushmechanic

Looks like a C-4 to me but modified a lot.Timberjack blade,C-4 differential and planetaries,18.4-34 usually on C-5's,353 Detoit Diesel usually on C-5's but I think they made a C-4 "pulpwood special" with a 353,transfer case don't look like the Cotter one mabe Franklin,John Deere winch,a real mix-match of parts.I don't think a parts manual would do you any justice as there are so many different parts on the machine that are not original.If I were you I would try and get parts manuals for the different components,one for the engine one for the rear ends one for the transmission etc.Nice looking iron(I love the old stuff). 

HuZzEy

thats true it is really mismatched also the tranny it not original it a np4590 out of a old dodge big horn or IH truck it has reverse and still has the backup light switch in the cover so just never mind. I think I will just rename it and paint it pink. anyone have an good names for it 

treefarmer87

mine has the detriot, ford transmission, and small axles. i wish it had the can-car axles under it. the best treefarmers i think are the ones with the 5 cyl deutzs and can-car axles. they can pull :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

HuZzEy

a friend of mine and his brother have 4 skidder a 79 540b a 73 c6 with a 453 and eaton front axle and a timberjack rear amazing machine. a 75 c5d 353 with eaton axles from a c6 and a 1985 c6d direct drive with that 5cyl duetz with eatons and both of them love the duetz i seen it pull 3cord in 3rd gear(2nd kicks out)  just lugging through some nasty spots

logman81

There is one for sale on ebay right now that is very similar to the one in the pics but think it is mostly original it's in PA. ;D 
Precision Firewood & Logging

mad murdock

Quote from: HuZzEy on May 17, 2011, 08:40:18 PM
thats true it is really mismatched also the tranny it not original it a np4590 out of a old dodge big horn or IH truck it has reverse and still has the backup light switch in the cover so just never mind. I think I will just rename it and paint it pink. anyone have an good names for it 
I'd be proud of that machine! call it the wood eatin' beast or Tree Farmer "Special".

logman81

Yup a pulp wood special they were made to run hard and fast.

Maine372

i hadnt noticed the blade was wrong! good catch.

id dub it 'the mutt'

HuZzEy

I do agree about the blade to there are massive welds just behind the piston pin. it don't run fast the 353 is tired and it seem to me that the tranny ratios in that np4590 are to fast. 2nd gear hi range with good size twitch even on a good road. 3rd gear is just to far apart for the old girl. we aren't in it for the money just to keep taxes on that 250 acres paid. one of these days I will rebuild it I'm diesel a techincian so weekend job with the old man it will be great  >:(     

UN Hooker

HuZzEy
Your C-4 looks alot like mine. A basic C-4 with a lot of mods & updates. Mine is the "Firewood Special".
Its small enough to go through the woods to pull the firewood but not do too much damage to the good trees.

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

logman81

Love that skidder UN Hooker. ;D

logman81

Found one of these tree farmers for sale on craigslist rite in ct. It has a 88 hp Mitsubishi diesel Rockwell axles #9 Gearmatic. Looks like a decent machine but think it is priced way to high. I have been trying to find a cheap small skidder to up grade from my tractor.

treefarmer87

I like any treefarmer. i like the little prentice on the truck too :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!