iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting compound angles?

Started by logwalker, May 15, 2011, 12:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logwalker

If I want to make a tapered column, what is the best way to determine the angles? The numbers are 14" square at the bottom tapering to 6" at the top, in 58 3/8" of height. So this can be a teaching moment, explain the process. Thanks
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Lud

There's probably a math answer but I'd say draw it out fullscale on cardboard or even make a model so you can see it .  Four taper joints are still going to be 45 degree cuts from the one perspective but could be a challenge to fit.  I'm assuming you'd make a taper jig for the tablesaw, right?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

logwalker

I think the taper will result in less than 45 degree miters.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

Is the base square and the top round?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logwalker

No, it will be a mitered square column, 14" tapering to 8" in 60". It will be setting on a square stone pedestal about 4 ' hight supporting a porch roof.

beenthere

:)
Might be a learning moment too.

Is it now 8" and not 6" at the top?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DouginUtah

I had it all figured out but realized I had used a base of 16" instead of 14" just before posting.

I'll be back with the corrected answer after I get a haircut. (I told my wife give me ten minutes.)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

DouginUtah

I'm assuming logwalker will be cutting this on his Wood-Mizer--too big for a tablesaw.

The process of determining the angles: Run a CAD program.  ;D

Answer: The angle from the centerline is:

If using 58 3/8" and 6" = 3.92°. (If using 60" and 8" = 2.86°.)

However, you don't need to know the angles to cut this column. Lay a 14" cant (cut to correct length--58 3/8") on a 2x base on the mill. Put a 4" block under one end and cut so one end remains at 14". Turn 90° and repeat. Turn 90° and put an 8" block under the narrow end. Turn 90° and repeat with the 8" block. Now you have a column 14" on one end and 6" on the other end.

(For the 60x8 column use 3" and 6" blocks.)

-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

Doug-in-utah has the right angles. and the easy method to cut it.

After the first cut, should then have a wedge to use for support.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

Hold the saw. This is a mitered box around an existing post. If it was non-tapering I would cut 45's on 4 pieces and box the post. But it will be a tapered box with 4 mitered sides and that is where the request comes in. I know it is slightly less than 45 but thought there could be a traditional way to figure the proper angles.

I will cut the 4 pieces on a sliding panel saw.

I did change the taper from my first post to 14 bottom, and 8 at the top in 60".

I hope this is a little clearer than mud. I feel a little sheepish that I didn't make myself understood better.

Joe

WH_Conley

Use some scrap stock. Come in 3 inches from each side on one end, 3 inches to nothing would be what you are cutting off each side. Set your blade at 45 and run each side through, adjust if necessary. The taper from 14 to 8 is going to be what it is going to be. The 45 should be close.
Bill

redbeard

If you were to use a glue joint bit on a router and use straps with blocking on corners you will get a much tighter joint and it will give you the look of a solid piece of wood. Good ideas on cutting a tappered column on the mill I want to try it thanks guys.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

jamesamd

The angle remains 45 Deg.
The top and bottom will need to be cut at the slope angle of the post.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

DouginUtah

I would have to agree with James.
-Doug

---

Lud

Seems like James and Doug got to where I was in the first reply! ;D ;D

I concur with Redbeard about the routered joint.  Would be real strong.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

logwalker

I have been away from the computer for a few days.

It seems to me that as the taper gets more pronounced the 45 degree angle would have to get smaller. Imagine the angles on a pyramid. they can't be 45 degrees. Can they?

WH_Conley

Bill

SwampDonkey

Quote from: logwalker on May 20, 2011, 11:48:56 PM
I have been away from the computer for a few days.

It seems to me that as the taper gets more pronounced the 45 degree angle would have to get smaller. Imagine the angles on a pyramid. they can't be 45 degrees. Can they?

Yup, 4 isosolese triangles, 90 degree to the top, 45's on the bottom corners. Lay them out so the bases form a square, stand them up to lean into one another. Pyramid. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logwalker

The angle does get less as the taper increases. Here is a neat compound angle program that figures the miters and the end cuts. Try it out and watch the angles decrease.

http://www.pdxtex.com/canoe/compound.htm

jamesamd

I don't consider 1/4 of a degree,a change in angle,Logwalker.
If I was able to post a decent picture here,i would show a double taper (wide at the bottom,wide at the top) column.
My Son had the same thought,that the angle would change.
I proved Him miss led in His thoughts.
90 Deg. is always 90 Deg.,only the widths change,and You better be sure,Ya get them Dang,right.
Jim

logwalker

Quote from: jamesamd on May 22, 2011, 12:36:30 AM
I don't consider 1/4 of a degree,a change in angle,Logwalker.
If I was able to post a decent picture here,i would show a double taper (wide at the bottom,wide at the top) column.
My Son had the same thought,that the angle would change.
I proved Him miss led in His thoughts.
90 Deg. is always 90 Deg.,only the widths change,and You better be sure,Ya get them Dang,right.
Jim

What part of this tapered post is 90 degrees? There is not a measurable 90 anywhere on it. As far as a 1/4 degree being inconsequential, I disagree. The problem with that assumption is that there is no longer a good fit for the glue to work properly. Remember that the 1/4 degree becomes a 1/2 degree when fit to it's neighbor. Granted a 1/2 degree could work with the right glue, but if you increase the taper to 10 degrees from the vertical then it becomes almost a degree. Is that a problem? It is for me. What does surprise me is that most replies state that the 45 degree angle doesn't change when the post goes from straight to tapered. 

jamesamd

It will be a square tapered column,top to bottom.
Jim

jamesamd

OK here is a pic of the double taper I made to prove My point,for My Son.

Jim

Lud

Not sure what I'm seeing there,  Jaames .

Here's another way of thinking about it.  Go back in your mind to Jr. High drafting class.  Draw Donk's pyramid,  square base.....from dead vertical above, it's a square with four lines coming to dead center......and all angles are 45 degrees. ;D

Draw the square based tapered column from above.  It's the same as your pyramid drawing only with a smaller square  on the inside with lines going from the base (larger, outer) square corners  to the top (smaller, inner) square top.   The corner angles all stay 45 degrees.   ;D

logwalker

You are over simplifieng the problem. Your pyramid when viewed from above will show 45 degree angles but, the miters that are needed to fit the four sides will be 30 degrees.

Radar67

To get a square or triangle, you have 360 degrees to deal with. A triangle will have 120 degrees at each joint (60 degree miters), a square will have 90 degrees at each joint (45 degree miters). The taper only makes a smaller square at the top of the post, not a triangle. A tapered square post is cut with 45 degree miters. A taper jig on the table saw will cut the best joint for this purpose. Roll the blade over to 45, set the taper jig to the line on your stock and cut. First, cut your board to the length you want, then use a center line to lay out your pieces. Mark your bottom to you width, mark the top to your width, connect the dots and you have the angle of the taper to set your taper jig with. Easy enough?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

logwalker

OK, build a tapered column with a 60 degree taper. Cut the miters with a 45 degree angle. Now try and get them to fit tight. I am sorry but they won't. If you don't believe me then try it. You only need to cut two sides to see how far off they will be.

Joe

EDIT: What everyone seems to be missing here is that this is a compound angle. That means two angles coming together and creating a new and different angle.

SwampDonkey

Joe, my response was only to your Pyramid analogy. ;) I've never cut a tapered post so I can't answer this problem.

logwalker

The pyramid is the same problem. If it has 45 degree angled side then the miters on the corners would have to be 30 degrees.

jamesamd

Quote from: Lud on May 23, 2011, 08:22:35 AM
Not sure what I'm seeing there,James

Lud  ;D
The front board and the top board both are 5 1/2" on the ends.They were tapered in a gentle curve to 4 1/2" in the center.Both boards have blocks and shims under them to bend the boards on the ends 1" (up/out) the centers are on a square piece of timber,flat against it.
I made a quick template by hand out of MDF,jigsawed=sloppy but it worked.
If My Son want's to make them for His house,Iwill have 1=one=uno=ein template made of 1/4" alum.
at a shop that has a CNC router and then route 45's on each edge. ;)Worked for Me!
Jim

jamesamd

So,LW.What are the results? With Your tapered colums!!!
I am very curious.
Jim

Thank You Sponsors!