iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ham'n Blackeyes

Started by Tom, January 01, 2004, 05:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I got home this evening after a day of sawing to a house that smelled of baked ham and blackeyed peas. MMMM Boy!

I snitched a little piece of ham, stopped by the computer for a minute and am headed for the shower. Then....

I'm gonna overdose on Blackeyes.  If you don't hear from me in a day or two, you'll know I over did it. :D

Jeff

one bite of blackeyed peas is over doing it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Tom, you gonna hafta get that boy back down here, so we can teach him a few things about what's good!
Jeff, you'll change your tune if you ever wrap a lip around a fork full of properly prepared Blackeyed Peas. They even go well with crow. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

Little bit of fat meat in them and some tobasco sauce and you'd be wanting seconds :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

I'll second or third that statement. ;D ;D ;D ;D  Just gotta know how to cook. ;) ;) :) :)

Ya know next in line comes Pinto Beans and Cornbread w/fried raw taters and onions. Uuuummmmmmmmm Goood.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

Harold,

If you cook that ham bone down with them beans and put lots of real butter on the cornbread and got some ketchup and tobasco for the beans--------then ya got something to really go with those spuds and onions 8)  Lots of fresh cold milk to wash it down :)

Bro. Noble

And then for desert----------seconds on the previous,  cause there ain't nuttin better :D

DanG

Yuppers!  Seconds is my favorite dessert, too. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Since we left the farm and the pure raw milk, my family can hardly stand that white water crap they sell today. Wife used to sneak into the barn and scoop quart jars of cream off the top and make butter and cook with it. YUMMMMMMMM

We use BACON in the beans. Fry it up till done but not TOOO crisp, and chunk it up and pour the grease and bits in them beans.  DanGit, I'm gettin some outta the cabinet for tomorrow  8) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Don P

Add a mess a collards and this thread will start off the New Year right. They shoot in the New Year around any of you all?

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot??? SHOOT??? Here in the land of the Commies, you would hafta get a permit first, and THEN they would arrest ya.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

All this talk about ham and peas/beans and cornbread has made me hungry.  I've got a picnic ham in the freezer and some Great Northern beans in the cupboard.  Guess I'm gonna hafta bake up the ham so I can use the bones and scraps for bean soup.  Of course cornbread goes with the soup ;D ;D
  I was about to shoot the owner of the house infection next to us last night when he was setting off some very big and very loud fireworks well after midnight >:( >:( >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Now bean soup is a different story. Yum

Maybe I dont like then black eyed peas because the guy that made em was my bruder in law. Aint been able to touch em since. Blech!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

I second  your thoughts Jeff     .   :D   Except for the BIL thing.   Bean soup and corn bread  it doesn't get any better than that .  8)
Hillbilly

Norm

I've never had back-eyed peas before, but bean soup with a good ham bone with some meat still left on...umm umm. And a good glass of milk, boy I wish I lived closer to Noble's place.  :)

Woke up a 1:30 New Years Eve to this pop pop sound. Thought what the heck, turns out the neighbors were setting off fireworks. Guess I can't say too much as I was up the other nite unloading a clip at some coyotes in our backyard. Our nearest neighbor is a half a mile away thou.

shopteacher

Heard on the news last night a guy was loading his rifle to go out and shoot in the new year and shot up through the kitchen ceiling. Killed his live in partner. He's sitting in jail now.  Not a good way to start the new year.
   Don't think I ever et black eyed peas (why you fellers blacken their eyes anyway?) but sure do love bean soup.  Navy bean & ham,  white lima's with butter and pepper, some bean we always called birdy-eye.  Me and Old Butch are both sitting here drooling.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bro. Noble

Now I'll tell you what really sets off that beans and cornbread meal---------wilted watercress. 8)

I don't know how wide an area produces watercress,  but it's in it's prime here in the Ozarks right now.  It's growing in most springs and spring branches.   You just pull it up and rinse it off.  Make a sauce with bacon fat (or corn oil)  vinigar,  a little salt and sugar.  Bring the sauce to a boil and add some finly chopped onions and then pour it while hot over the watercress (use leaf lettuce for wilted lettuce) and you got a real treat.

Stan

The only true corn bread is hoe cake.  8) :) ;D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

dail_h

I gotta agree wif Jeff,I've had to eat blackeyed peas all my life. I didn't like the first spoonful I ate,and I didn't like the last spoonful I ate . That's kinda strange 'cause I like every other kind of bean or pea I ever ate,but them blackeyes just taste bad. Oughta be against the law ta ruin a hambone by putting it in a pot of blackeyes.....
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

DanG

Y'all must be eatin' them old dried up  ones. ???  I ain't too fond of them, either.  Git ahold of some fresh, green ones, or some that's frozen or canned green.

My wife was tellin' about her Mother's family traditions. She said the "luck" part of the blackeyed pea legend came from the Depression days. Dried blackeyes was about all some folks had to eat, and they got awful tired of'em. They'd put a dime in the bowl with the peas, and the lucky dipper got to keep the dime. :)

WV_hillbilly

What's everyones favorite way to cook cornbread  ?  I like to put it in an old cast iron skillet and put it in the oven until the sides and bottom are a little brown .  Then take it out and eat it with real butter . Ohh boy am I gettin hungry   :)
Hillbilly

Sawyerfortyish

MMMM man this has been a tasty thread. All this talk about ham brings back memories. I used to brine my own with salt and brown sugar and then smoke with black birch and sassafras. Mom always would boil up ham cabbage and taters and I would eat til I couldn't get up from the table.The only thing better was when you reheated it the next day.

Bro Nobel watercress is also one of my favorites it wont be in season til early spring. Boy do I love watercress sandwiches for lunch. Only seems to grow in the purest of springs here. Don't know how far it does range be interesting to find out i'm in North Jersey

Texas Ranger

Noble, we used to fish up at the Current at Montauk, and the restaurant there would serve watercress in their salads.  It was good till the day when we saw the little white thingies prowling in the greens.  But those were special times, eating the trout you caught with the cress that moved.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

etat

Sort of a tradition around here to have black eyed peas and hog jowles on New Years.  Supposed to bring you luck the rest of the year.  Well I'm not usually superstitous but NOT ME.  Last time we had black eyed peas and hog jowles on New Years day, well the whole family like to starved that year.  My wife and I made a pack, never again on New Years Day.  We still eat ham, but not hog jowles.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

CHARLIE

My family ALWAYS eats black-eyed peas and some collard greens or mustard greens or turnip greens on New Years Day. The peas give you good luck (if you ate peas and thought you had some bad luck, just know that it woulda been worse if you hadn't eaten peas) and the greens means you'll have money in your pocket.

Donna and I were traveling back to Minnesota on January 1st after spending Christmas in Okeechobee, Florida with her family.  We were worried that we might not be able to eat black-eyed peas (no other pea will do) that day. We were in Padukah, Kentucky and saw the Southern Pride Restaurant. They had a fine buffet that included black-eyed peas and collards.  I stuffed myself.

The reason you Yanks are always so miserable, mean and cantankorous is 'cause y'all don't eat black-eyed peas on January 1st.  If y'all did, we'd all be happy. ;D    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!