iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for corn growers

Started by RynSmith, May 14, 2011, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RynSmith

I just bought some "sweet white" corn on the cob labeled as from the US.  Where would this have been grown?  It couldn't have been stored from last season, could it?  Just got me wondering...   :P

chain

Yes, in most cases, the seed-corn was grown last season. It is cleaned, graded, treated, bagged and stored until the following spring.

However, there are some seed companies that may blend two year old seed corn. Large companies may have seed production in Central or South America, particularly if there are shortfalls in U.S. production.

davey duck

the corn may have come from florida,texas or cal. sweet corn can be grown in as little70 to 85 days.
David G.Fleming

scgargoyle

There is local corn available now in FL.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Raider Bill

Quote from: scgargoyle on May 15, 2011, 08:18:25 AM
There is local corn available now in FL.

That's a fact! I had some last night grilled with a rib eye. Certainly not NYS or Iowa quality but good none the less.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

RynSmith

Thanks for the replies.  Apparently we were the proud ingesters of some gour-met, imported from the hinterlands corn.   :D

Tom

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 15, 2011, 08:23:08 AM

That's a fact! I had some last night grilled with a rib eye. Certainly not NYS or Iowa quality but good none the less.

Ain't it the truth, Bill.  I had some of that NY and Iowa corn before and they still have a ways to go to get as good as ours.  :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I have used seed corn that is 2 years old from my date of purchasing it with no problems. After that I mix all my old seeds together and scratch them into my deer feedlots.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!