iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bell feller buncher info

Started by treefarmer87, May 13, 2011, 02:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

can anybody tell me about these machines? i know a little but, how often do you sharpen the chain? does the saw bar get bent alot? how big is it compared to my C5, and how much does it weigh and how wide is it? thanks :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

kiko

Not sure about weight, but a super T bell is about nine feet wide (outside of tires) and 16 feet end to end including head. The super T was a good machine. The ultra T had problems with hydraulic oil heating up. The Bell is best suited for large timber. How many bars get bent depends on the operator and if the nitrogen tank that returns the bar is properly charged. The trick to not bending the bar is to grap the tree and then load boom so rear tire comes off the ground before making the cut this will help lift the tree off the stump as it is cut and reduce likelyhood of damaging the bar as well as help with placement of felled tree. With the dangle head you can also run around and top the tree once it is on the ground.  Super t  has levers and two levers must be pulled when cutting. The ultra t has joysticks. Again chain sharpening freq. depends on how much dirt get cut. When dull or improperly sharpened it act just like a regular chains saw that is dull or not sharpened correctly. The bell also works well for blown down timber. Tire chains also help greatly. I like these machines but ther is a learning curve.

amberwood

Chain life is very much down to what you hit, type of bark, etc . In pine we get 1-2 days use before it is blunt, felling and processing. Sometimes you clip a rock and the chain is off an hour after you fit it. Bars get bent when things go wrong or with a learner driver. We use 34"GB bars with Oregon 3/4 chain on a dangle processor.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

treefarmer87

thanks i might be purchasing one june 1 or around that time along with a saw package on my loader :) how big of tree can it fell?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

oldseabee

It's a 30 In. bar but you can use multi cuts for bigger trees but you have to see which way the tree is leaning or the wind is blowing so your 2nd cut doesn't get your bar pinched, the first cut should be on the side that the tree is leaning or the heavy side. It takes quite a bit of practice. Is this a super T, Ultra T, or Ultra C. ? I have some tech info on each.

treefarmer87

its a super T. can the machine make leaners go the other way?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

oldseabee

If it's a tree that you can get with one cut, you grab it, cut it off and back away from the stump quickly so you really pull the butt out from under the top. This will take practice, you won't have a lot of time to think about what you are doing, it almost has to be by reflex, just  practice on some straight up smaller trees until you get the hang of it.
You can't push a leaner the other way, the saw head only has a small cylinder to raise it up in position to grab the tree.

treefarmer87

ok, i really like it. this machine has a new motor and barsaw head :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

kslogger

this is for Oldseabee who offered tech info on the bell saws. I am looking at an Ultra T, and wanting to know if it has particular problems to watch out for. The air conditioning on this one does not work. Also how does it compare to the Super T for repair and cost of repair?

Side loader

I think you will really like the super T .  The advice on this forum is excellent. I just purchased one this summer and really like it. I'm in the deep south in a 2nd thin of plantation pine.  Mine had the pincher head on it and that is what I have been using. It also came with a dangle head. One thing is for sure if yours has the air cooled dutz, be sure and blow out the fins around the head with an air hose about every 8 or 10 hours of use. Hope it works out.
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

oldseabee

Your biggest problem will be the learning curve on how to operate it efficiantly. Keep the hydraulic oil clean and keep the oil cooler and the engine cooling fins  blown out. Before starting out, make sure the pressures are all set right. Some wiring problems in the joy sticks and the harness's  have shown up, and in hot weather in high production hydraulic oil heating. As to the cost of repair, The Ultra T has rexroth hydrostats  and the system pump, quite a bit more expensive to repair then the Super T that has Sunstrand hydrostats and 2 gear pumps for the system hydraulics. The heads are basically the same. Check the lugs on the tail wheel occasionally, they have been known to work loose.

lumberjack48

Theres one advantage running a Bell , you don't have to go on any rides at the Fair. 8)

I think there a very good feller, when ran with its means, like anything

You have to be patient, it takes a while to get it under neath you.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!