iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers - choice of wood for

Started by woodsy, May 13, 2011, 07:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsy

I am at the point where I need to replenish my stickers for air drying.  I typically use hard maple or popular but I have a lot of cherry stock that would make good stickers.  I read somewhere that cherry should not be used because it contains a pigment that can stain white woods like ash and maple.  Is there any truth to this?

How about tropical hardwoods, do they present a problem of staining white woods? I have the opportunity to buy tropical hardwood stickers made from Ipe, Cumaru, or Massaranduba at fairly good prices.

Thanks for the input.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

red oaks lumber

the biggest factor is start with dry stickers. if your cherry is dry i don't think you'll have an issue. were the problem usally comes from (stickerstain or shadow) is having wet wood and wet stickers.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Many commercial stickers used in the big Pine mills are a tropical hardwood from Indonesia.  Not sure of the species.  I use them and they are fine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

laffs

i use hardwood stickers because they last longer. the comercial mill i worked for used them for the same reason.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

woodsy

Thanks for the input.  Everything I use for stickers is kiln dried hardwood. 

Now that I think about it, stacking green cherry boards and sticking them with white maple stickers has not stained the stickers, so why would a dry cherry sticker stain green maple boards?  I think what I read about cherry stickers may have been little false and misleading.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

Thank You Sponsors!