iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm Gonna Be a Star...well, maybe.

Started by DanG, May 13, 2011, 12:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I was sitting in my Mom's living room, visiting with her and my Brother the other day, when I saw a strange-looking, but familiar car go by in front of the house.  I immediately recognized it as the Google Earth Streetview camera car, as it has been circulating in the area for several weeks.  I ran(well, it was more like a brisk mosey) to the front door and watched as he turned south at the end of the street, so I knew he had to come up the street to the side of Mom's corner lot.  So,  I did another brisk mosey out to the driveway with my camera in hand, and stood in the driveway as he came by.  I assume he was filming as he passed, so there is a good chance that I will be seen in the pics when they get them uploaded.  I have no idea how all of that works, but the street name is Foshalee Drive in Tallahassee, Fl.  If you cyber-cruise that street, feel free to wave like the Google Earth guy did. ;D

BTW, I have no idea how to pronounce "Foshalee". ::) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brucer

This will be interesting. Google software is supposed to automatically pick out faces and blur them. Ditto with license plates. We'll have to see if we can recognize DanG.

I read about a busker who heard the Google streetview car would be in his neighbourhood the next day. Knowing about the software, he stood out on the street playing his guitar, with a sign beside him with his name on it ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

DanG

I wonder how many of those little cars they have?  I know this one has been circulating in the Tallahassee area for a couple of months now.  There must be hundreds of them!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

D Hagens

I think this is so cool but yet they need to keep up to date with things, as in everything should be live :D
  I was away at the cabin, sister and hubby were away too. I checked their place on Google earth and their travel trailer was gone :o :o They took it out a week before and had it parked back at home while they were away but it didn't show up on Google :D :D Guess what we see isn't really what's going on in real time :)

thecfarm

A car looking like that up my way would have buckshot put to it.  ;D  I would have no idea what they was doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

Before long, I think Google will be taking over the big brother role from the government
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Quote from: Brucer on May 13, 2011, 12:52:02 AM
Google software is supposed to automatically pick out faces and blur them.

DanG's face is already blurred.    :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Dang you are allready a star... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

bedway

Dang, please tell us you didnt "moon" the camera.

Raider Bill

Look for the blurred face Man with a Natty light, Cigarette and .45 1911 strapped on. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 13, 2011, 06:24:43 AM
Before long, I think Google will be taking over the big brother role from the government

Last summer an old codger was planning to stop by and visit me while returning from a pig eating ordeal.  I gave him directions and described the gate where he was to turn into my lane.  He sent a picture and asked if that was the gate I meant :o :o  I didn't know such a thing existed and was really surprised since we live 20 miles from the nearest town and it doesn't even have a stoplight :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pigman

I drove up and down Foshalee Drive and I thought I saw DanG until I zoomed in a little. It still may be him in a disguise, I am not sure. I will post a picture and let everyone decide for themselves.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Could be.....could be, that white hair looks familiar but DanG, the ears just don't look right.  Maybe it's the camera angle.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

And a very nice gate it is, Bro Noble.  By the way, we will be in northern Arkansas in July, at the end of July, so no pig roast for me this year.  I will make another effort to find that gate.

Local Sons of the Confederacy have two working 6 pound cannons with limbers, they were approached to appear in a movie, named Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, as part of a battle scene.  Bunch of the local folks took their uniforms to New Orleans and are extras in the movie. 

Being a yankee, they did not want me. :'( Well, no uniforms that fit me.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

I have checked Street View a number of times in the past year, and the same old pics were still there.  Last night, I noticed that the aerial photos had been recently updated, so I checked Street View one more time.  Well whadda ya know!  After all those years of hard work ::), my ship has finally come in! 8) 8) 8)

Hey y'all! ;D

Magicman, you were right.  My face does look a little blurry! :-\

Me taking a picture of him taking a picture of me.

DanG

Hey cfarm!  Did you get a shot at him when he came by? :D :D :D

LOGDOG

I always thought driving that Google car would be fun. I took a drive through Tokyo, Japan the other night on street view.  :)

Texas Ranger

By golly, it is, I guess, cause he was blurred a lot when I first met him. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Logdog, take a tour of Rome.  They used a motorbike there, and even take you inside the Colosseum.  I couldn't believe how big that sucker is!  Must be as big as the Superdome!

Mooseherder

We passed the Google car on a bridge while on I 95 in Maine last year and I thought about it too late.  It's quite the funk mobile.  You can't miss it.
My street view isn't working for some reason.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I wonder if they found the Royalton Road out here where "there be dragons" as Peter Newman would say in his books. ;D

BTW Dang, that's good your on Google. Now where do we vote you in as new CEO? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Quote from: DanG on May 07, 2012, 03:57:57 PM
Logdog, take a tour of Rome.  They used a motorbike there, and even take you inside the Colosseum.  I couldn't believe how big that sucker is!  Must be as big as the Superdome!

I'll definitely do that DanG. In Tokyo, they actually took the camera out on this wooden dock ...foot traffic only it looked like ...out to this island where these Japanese buildings were. I was impressed that they'd be that thorough ...and appreciative. I enjoyed the tour.

Magicman

I had to go and try it myself DanG, and there you were.  That is just too funny.   :D

WDH

Dan,

I would have not recognized you without the beard  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!