iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust fever

Started by Frank_Pender, January 01, 2004, 09:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Some call it cabin fever I am calling it sawdust fever.  :) What a lousey last couple of weeks.  >:(  About two weeks ago I came down with a 103 fever for a few days along with a very sore throat (couldn't eat much and lost 10 lbs), and the hacking cough still hanging around.  :-/ Then the wife pert near has come down with the big pneumonia.   :'(

But, that is not all.  for the last 4 or 5 days we have had about 18" of snow and it has started again at 6 this morning and accumulated another inch or so.  I can hardly find the long decks and one is about 15' high. :D

I spoke witha neighbor or two this morning and asked what was on their aganda for the day.  One said he is eating sardines and crackers while watching football all day.  ;D  that sue is not my gig. ;D  

I only have about 100 2 x 4s and 2 x 6s to complete the big house job I have been working on and now all this.   :-[  

We are not use to this much snow at once or for so  long a time.  In addition We were without power for almost three days.  :-/ Oh, the fun for living in the woods. 8) 8) 8)

I guess I can spend on day trolling around on the forum. :D
Frank Pender

woodmills1

Hey Frank try this cure.  When it is too cold or snowy to make outside sawdust, switch to inside sawdust.  Feels real good to fill the shop floor with planer and jointer shavings. :D :D :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Frank, lots of sick going round. We have been short at the mill most every day for a month. I have not been out and out sick, but not feeling right for almost a month. I hope its my version of the flu and will go away soon. No git up and go. I am about 50% behind on reading the forum because of it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Woodmills, I am just about there.  One more day like this and I will fire up the woodstove in the woodshop and go play there.   8)

Jeff. I know what you mean about being behind on the Forum.   You got me beet by about 30%.   Being sick sure takes it out of a person.  I just came in from doing another drive of r a neighbor and helping a renter get in 6 bags of pellets for their stove.  I am sure happy for the power to be back again.  I got to take a shower this morning.  Alice was about ready to give me a snowball cleaning.  We got another 5 inches since 6 this morning.  It is a very fine flake snow but it just keeps falling.  All the weather people have admitted, "We missed it!"   :-/  Weather science is a very finely tuned science, you know. :D

WM 1  I figure I could always begin woring on next Christmas's presents if I get into the shop tomorrow. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Corley5

Lotsa sick up here too.  Zach had a temp of 103.8 on Christmas Day.  We called Health Access and they said to watch his temp, keep him cool and let the Motrin we'd already given work but if it went to 104 to bring him the to ER.  Luckily it didn't go any higher and dropped off pretty quickly.  Then of course Dee and I got sick.  We've all had flu shots and that's what I think kept us from getting really sick.  I'm still a bit congested but feel fine otherwise.  My father however is sick and even though he got a flu shot appears to have the full blown version of the flu :( :( :(  If he doesn't feel better by morning Mom's gonna take him to the Dr.  On a happier note Dad and I've been working on our shop and have it ready to paint.  Once Dad is feeling better that's the next project and it'll be done.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Sorry to hear about everybody's ailments. :(   I heard somewhere that there are 3 varieties of flu going around, this year, and the flu shot only works for one of them. I didn't get one, so I'm just trying to stay away from people as much as I can. Maybe I'll try Frank's method and just stop showering. I won't have to avoid people that way, they'll be avoiding me! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gus

Yah, buckwheat had the flu here but nobody else got it. some of us caught an old fashioned cold but nothing else.. We just sort of ran through it and came out the other end OK.
Suppose to get some below 0 temps. here shortly. . . .more winter sports :-/
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Mark M

Gus it's a good thing you live down south there in South Dakota! We are supposed to get some of that cold stuff too next week and maybe a little snow this weekend. I don't mind the snow but don't like the wind chill that we usually get.

Frank my logs are pretty snowy too but I can still see them. I have a trailer load I need to unload and a few more to haul. I'm heading south next week so I'll get a little break.

Mark

DanG

How fir south are ya headin', Mark?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

DanG maske sure you have little snow in case the boss insists on giving you a snowball wash down.  I know for fact that, had i not gotten one this morning and Alice was so sick I would have had a wash down bofore noon. 8)

Mark, it isn't that I cannot find the log decks, it's just that I can see the logs that are decked.  We should have another 6" or 7" by mid morning tomorrow Jan. 2nd.   We were told in this evening's weather report to expect snow off and on for the next 4 or 5 days.  But, what to they know.  They could not even tell us we were getting what we have now.  

My tree service students and calling left right and center about trees that are down or going to be down.  

Hey Stephen Wiley, are you climbing again  or, just giving advice from the ground?

Corley5, I heard today that there is a real strange strain of flu in the Ohio area.   Children are the main victims of the strain.

Isolation is a good idea if you can keep from haveing to get to town for parts or grub.   The checks I have been getting for doing long driveways are hard to refuse, so there is some contact for me at times. 8)
Frank Pender

Duane_Moore

:( sorry ya fellin bad Frank, and that snow, how depressing, usta get snowed in once in awile myself. read every Dang Louis LeMoure book ever made, then would read sumpin smart books, about spellin and such, didn't get much thaat,  Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

shopteacher

Spent nine hours making plaques for fish raising awards.  Plumb forgot all about those things.  A tropical fish club contracts me to make the wooden backing for the awards.  With Christmas, T for Tots, working on the barn and trying to get over the theft it slipped my mind. Day before yesterday the pres. of the club called and wanted to know when he could pick them up? Didn't call him back till last evening, otherwise would have had to tell him I hadn't started them yet. I can't complain about the weather here much, been in the 40s & 50s any has afforded me an opportunity to start putting siding on the lower level of the barn. Slow going, I have to plane and straight edge the boards and install them myself.  Really slow when you have to get down and cut every board then climb back up to nail it in place.  One good aspect, my new nail gun came the other day and I'm away from hand nailing.  Starting to get some pretty bad tendinitis in my elbows and have a hard time lifting those 1X13"X10' maple boards I'm using as siding. Little by little it starting to take shape. Will try and get a few pic. to update you all on the progress.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Gus

DanG,
 If I recall Mark is headed wayyyy south. Where the water swirls the other direction down the toilet. ;D
Gus

Gus

shopteacher,
sounds like ya' got a full plate. :D

Gus

Kripes it got cold in a hurry around here.Was 35 at noon today and by 3:00 I was hunting my coat. The wind switched from SW to N in no time flat and the temp went down fast. By the time I got home and tried to hay the horses musta been  15 below wind chill. Not sure the horses got any hay. I think the DanG stuff all went down the back of my shirt. :(
Gus

Mark M

Cold is right! We've got that -15 wind chill stuff too Gus. That wind goes right through me and I'm pretty thick.

DanG I'm going down to Peru on Wednesday. I do a little software work on the side so I'm going down to install a program at the Cat dealer in Lima. Ain't never been to South America so I'm a little nervious.

Don P

Hey Mark, ya otta make a side trip, I hear there's a forester down there by the sunny beaches lookin for cheap help.
I know whatcha mean about the elbows Shopteacher, I've pumped 60 gallons of chinking through a bulk caulk gun so far, my squeezers about squoze out. Had to switch my coffee drinking hand :D.
The yuk has been goin around here too. The checkout girl at the store was blowing her honker and handling my food, sure wish she had called in sick ::).

shopteacher

Your right Gus, now if I can only find something to do in my spare time. :D :D :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Frank_Pender

Woodmills, I did not make it to the woodshop today, as I had wished. :-/  The power went out again this morning from 8 to 12.  By the time it came back on I was haveing to get driveways cleared here on the Tree Farm, restart a couple of well pumps.  Then is was time for chow.  Had to take the wife to town again due to illness and such.  Back at 3 and had an x student down the road a piece needed drive cleaned and car pulled out of snow.  Got a 100 yards from main Farm drive and forward gears were gone in JD 5300.  All I had was reverse.  so, I backed home and called a young man who has worked on my Deere before and he drove 15 miles to help with the issue.  :) Got the shifting lever removed and discovered a single expansion pin had snapped.  8)  I will be running again in the morning some time. ???  Sure wish I could  saw logs.  ;D  This sawdust fever is a real challange, at times.
Frank Pender

woodmills1

Hang in there, if there is anything constant in this world it is change. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gus

Frank,
I understand there are more storms building over the Pacific, are you going to be in their line of fire too? :-/
The wind has subsided to a dead calm here but it is cold. I can take the cold as long as the wind isn't trying to blow yer hat off all the time. ::)

Frank_Pender

Yep, SDSaw we are right in the line of fire of rthe new storms.  They tell us we might well have freezing rain by Tuesday.   :'( Then it is to warm of a bit to mere rain 8)  It has been spitting snow here, all morning.  We are to have an addition 3 to 7 inches before the day is over.  Who knows though.
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Frank,

Your not alone.........respritory flu turned into pnuemonia finally got out of the house Wednesday this week. Still hacking and trying to clear lungs. :(

Drove down to Albany, Corvallis and Junction City - was thinking of you looking at the coastal hills as the Douglas-fir trees were barely distinguishable with all that white.

Day before Salem had 14" we managed a little better here in Silverton with only 8" and loss power for only 3 hours.  I have had a few old customers call with 'snow breakage' but are waiting for the oncoming storms to complete.

Hope your wife and you get well !   I am still trying to get my health back as well.

Sounds like your log/lumber loader is doubling a lot lately for  vehicle rescue. Couple of places on the road below you where these conditions might put a vehicle over the edge with not so nice results.  :o
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!