iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead - after 7 years and 3 months.

Started by DR Buck, May 12, 2011, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Well I knew this day was coming. smiley_cry    I got the first indications this past winter when it was really cold.   The LT 40 had little trouble turning over to start.   This past week I went out to the barn to fire up the mill and rip down a few wide boards and the battery was completely dead.    Wouldn't even light up the AccusetII panel.     7 years and 3 months.  RIP.   

Looks like a trip to Interstate sometime in the next week or so.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

i had to replace mine a month or so ago.  the battery is a marine starting battery.

I picked up one at a boating supply place
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishpharmer

At least it died of old age and not some kind of  juice sucking painful death. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

paul case

7 years and 3 months is 120 in human years.  thats a good long life in any case. most batteries dont last me till the 60 month warranty date.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

Paul how did you come up with that formula? :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SPIKER

I found the Pulsing battery maintainers work really well to keep old batteries going and new ones that are not sued often a better life.   I also LOVE the battery additive my tractor battery is 9 years old now and is a cheap china battery.   I have left the key ON 3 times totally dead. used a booster charger for 15!20 min to get the battery boiling. then set to 10 amp charge for overnight then a day on the pulsing trickle charger and the battery is good as new.   Note this is with the battery chemical additive that is supposed to stop sulphate buildup.   little bottle was like 9 bucks & the big tractor battery took 2 of them.  well worth it though.  Oh last fall the Hyd Pump QD popped loose & dropped across the starter SOL terminal fired up the engine & it ran/idled a full tank of fuel out the starter kept spinning melted the brushes down to nothing :(  killed the battery too with Key off ALT does not charge...  I put a meter on the battery & had a measured 4.5 volts after I pried the QD off the terminals.  run through the same boost, 10 amp then trickle charging and it revived the battery again...    8)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

DR_Buck, that's about the limit I have realized from a car battery. I figure it's not too bad. I hear from some folks that newer replacement batteries don't even last that long. I don't know where they buy them. But I have a 5 year old car now and the battery is still good.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

You got very good service out of it, I have never had one last that long. The batteries in my 05 Ram diesel are likely reaching the end of their useful life, I am not looking forward to replacing them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tyb525

New batteries are getting to last worse and worse.

I had a car with a battery that finally quit at 12 years. The batter in the tractor finally quit at 11 years a few weeks ago. New cars need new batteries within a few years.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

I kinda figure the battery life on new cars can be attributed to more parasitic loads while the car is off.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

WM recommends the Interstate 31P-MHD for your mill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

i have some bad luck with batteries. most only last 2 years or so.
i have about 9 trucks and 10 tractors and a lot of them only get used a couple of times a year. plus the sawmill and 2- 4 wheelers. many of those pieces of equipment '' share batteries''. one is almost always needing replaced.
we work on a little different principle. B.Y.O.B.    if you want to drive something you better 'bring your own battery'. kinda a built in redneck antitheft system. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Oppps, I misread your profile and thought you had a SuperHydraulic.  You probably can get by with less battery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I always like to go BIG,if my wallet lets me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DR Buck

Probably should think about getting one for the 4 wheeler while I'm at it.   I'm still on the original that was in it when I got it new in 2001.  :)  It still starts every time I climb on it.  :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

I can think of somewhere I could use a battery like that.   smiley_thumbsup

sjfarkas

I think that you should just get a whole new mill. ::)  I would be happy to dispose of this old worn out mill with a dead battery for you. :D  An old timer once told me that once the battery goes the whole machine should get replaced! ;D
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Thank You Sponsors!