iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rafting logs

Started by Quebecnewf, May 11, 2011, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Thanks Jim. I actually did a Google search and uncovered some of those concerns this afternoon. We'll stick with the good old American logs and lumber for now I guess. That Ipe really catches my eye though.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Mooseherder on May 30, 2011, 05:24:46 PM
This is the process he mentioned back on reply 30. ;)

Quote from: Quebecnewf on May 17, 2011, 05:42:15 PM

I recall the description of the process but it's the orientation of the logs that surprises me ???
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Hilltop366

I'm guessing the logs at the far end in the picture will be the front of the tow.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 31, 2011, 07:37:11 AM
I'm guessing the logs at the far end in the picture will be the front of the tow.

Ahh.. that would explain it. Makes better sense.  Thanks.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Quebecnewf

Left on Sun morning to pull logs to mill. Used the outboard to pull raft into channel and hooked up to the REEF RAT.

Started pulling at 9:00 AM . Three hours later arrived at the mill with 215 logs in tow. Things went very well made an avarage speed of 3 knots.

Worked with the ATV and skidding arch  untill around 7:00 PM hauling the logs up to the mill. Had a late supper and fell into the bunk for a well deserved rest.

Up again at 4:00AM and back at the logs. This time we had to use the front half of a snow sleigh instead of the skiidding arch (wheel fell off). Things went well and by 9:00 AM we had all the logs ashore and headed for home.

Pics will follow later today I hope (internet connection problems at home)

Quebecnewf

thecfarm

Glad things went well. All done rafting for this year?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

:)  Glad to hear all went well and you got all them logs back on shore. Looking forward at seeing the pics of the trip , ya got some nice country your way  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Quebecnewf

Here we have the log boom attached to the Reef Rat . We are just checking the lines to make sure if we are good to go. You cannot see it here but the boat is in the channel and 20 feet to either side there is only 4 ft of water and this is a high tide

View from the boat looking astern just before getting under way

Logs under tow

Another shot of towing

Logs at the mill 3 hours later

ATV and skidding arch (which broke after only about 20 logs ashore) but we got them all ashore after a while.

only 200 more left to tow home

Quebecnewf

Coon

Nice job on the logs.  Thanks for the pictures of the journey.   ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mikeb1079

great stuff.  thanks for posting.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

beenthere

Job well done, and well planned. Figuring everything out on top of having to work out the tide schedule plus the weather has to be satisfying when you win. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

Fascinating! Do you have a pic of the tow line attachment to the logs?
Bob

ljmathias

Beautifully done!  Thanks for showing us.  And I thought I had trouble getting logs to my mill... ;)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Wow, thank you for sharing such an interesting operation.  From felling, bunching, and then "water skidding" it just demonstrates how we have to adapt to our surrounding and use nature as our helper/friend.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

Congratulations on a successful venture. Great pics. I like all that shield rock where the logs are beached. Reminds me of Ontario.

Ianab

I was at local sawmill yesterday and looking at some old pictures on the office wall. One of them was rafting some logs down a local river. A lot like the pictures that Jim posted, but from 100 years ago. Little steam powered river boats, and the loggers kids where out on the logs with Dad for the photo shoot. (or maybe they just rode the logs normally - it was in the pre OSH days.)

Just reminded me of this thread, that you aren't doing anything "new". 100 year ago they would have done the same things, but the boat would have been steam powered, and you would have used a horse or bullock to drag the logs out. This method worked for our great grandfathers, no reason it can't still work today.

Thanks for posting the pictures  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

A 100 years ago? It's only been about 50 years ago here and maybe 15 on the Gatineau in Quebec. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 03, 2011, 04:39:32 PM
A 100 years ago? It's only been about 50 years ago here and maybe 15 on the Gatineau in Quebec. :D

Or this year.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

paul case

this thread has been very interesting. thanks for posting it.

oh and happy birthday swamp donkey.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

cutterboy

This is a great thread. Thanks so much for posting it. Quebecnewf, you are the only person I know of who makes salty sawdust. :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Logging is the most challenging aspect of milling in my experience.  You have some real challenges compared to most of us.  That is very impressive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!