iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A well planned day that never happens.

Started by Bibbyman, May 11, 2011, 04:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I don't know about you but by the time I swing my legs out of bed in the morning I have my day pretty much planned.  Problem is,  I often don't get to plan it.

Yesterday morning I planned to saw up the ten logs we'd got in over the weekend from three customers to custom saw and to put away the truck load of logs we'd got in yesterday.  I got up early to get a running start.

First sidetrack.   The dust blower was acting like it was clogged up.  We took apart the pipes going to the blower and didn't find the cause.  Then we took apart the pipes blowing out and didn't find the cause.  Finally we took the connection off the infeed side of the blower and found a big eagle's nest worth of cedar bark and chunks just ahead of the blower.  Got that out and pipes back together and started sawing the first log.

Second sidetrack.   Many years ago I connected all four back supports on our Wood-Mizer.  It's been working well for all these many years and thousands of hours.   But a couple of times the eye bolt end has pulled out of the connecting rod.   A week or so back it pulled out twice in one day.  I've been "blacksmithing" the end of the connecting rod, re-cutting the thread and putting the eye bolt back in.  Last time I "blacksmithed" the end of the rod, it cracked in a number of places.  I knew it would not likely last and it didn't.  It pulled out again.  This time I took it to the welder and welded a fresh nut to the end of the rod and replaced it.

I noted to Mary that it was 9:00am and we hadn't made a board yet.  But we made good time and knocked out five of the ten logs by 11:00 and knocked off early for dinner.   Mary went to the house while I loaded the last five logs on the deck.  

Sidetrack three... As I loaded the logs on the deck, I noted a "pop" sound in the Terex loader when the boom was raised and lowered.  Not good.  I've heard this sound before and it turned out to be a broken pin and pin mounting.  I'd been hearing the pop for a few days but could not find it – all looking normal.  But this time I noted about 2" of the pin sticking out.  I parked it and went to dinner.  

We finished up using the large Terex and about 3:30 I went out to try to get the old pin out so I could get a new one made.  The part that was working it's way out came out easily.   So I can take that to the cylinder repair shop and they can make me a new pin.   I hope I can drive the new pin in and doing so drive the rest of the old pin out.  Hopefully,  the bushing or mount is not damaged.

This morning I plan to put away the logs I'd planned to do yesterday morning. Then it's off to the cylinder shop.  I hope they can make the pin on the spot so I don't have to make a second 60 mile round trip to pick it up – with the price of gas and all.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Piston

If I had a dollar for every well planned day, or project, that never happened, I wouldn't have to work a day in my life.  ;D

I used to get very aggravated every time something went wrong, or not according to plan.  Now I almost expect things to go wrong, and accept it as part of the job.  I usually plan in extra time, anywhere from 10%-maybe even 100% for things either going wrong, breaking, or not happening altogether. 
This seems to work well because for the majority of cases, I'm way ahead of schedule  :D

All kidding aside, I feel for ya!  I hope they get the right pin the first time as well so you don't have to waste more time getting a third one.  ;)  Good Luck!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Chuck White

Bibby
Sounds like you need to stop planning!  ;)

Sometimes when things like that happen (and they will) it's best just to take a break and let the pressure off!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

weisyboy

i learnt a few years back not to plan, i get up look at the sky decide what im gunna do now, when im finished that i decide what im gunna do next.

people get annoyed at me but leave anyone hanging.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

old joe

THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Mooney

What a day!  Sounds like you've learned to take those things in stride and chuckle through it  ;)

Sounds like my move from Washington state to Indiana to take a job at Wood-Mizer  :D  One week after my baby girl was born, we loaded up family possessions into an old F250 .  We had built a plywood box for the truck bed, even a 4'x'5'1' box over the cab.  My buddy and I set out and planned to drive straight through, taking turns driving.  And then 20 minutes down the road, the cat converter blew...  Limped back home, 2 days later, drove off again.  200 miles down the road, fuel filter clogged up, limped into a mechanic's.  At 2 am in Idaho, back tire blew and had to get towed 30 minutes to the next tire shop.  After that, it was only 30 more hours of drivetime, straight through!

Wife and the kids flew out a couple of weeks later.   ;)

Working at Wood-Mizer is worth it, though!  8)

LOGDOG

Man you said it Bibby. I was just commenting on this to a friend the other day. Seems like "my time" isn't mine at all most days. I did pick something up from Zig Ziglar though. He got is from another fella, I want to say Charles Schwab maybe. But what he recommended was each night take an index card and write down the 6 most important things that you need to accomplish the next day and prioritize them #1-6. Start with #1. If you get a curveball later in the day and don't get to finish all 6 items at least you will have accomplished the most important thing on the list. It helps me anyway. I do mine more mentally though.

Man Mooney that's tough! That sounds like my move from WI to LA. Makes for good stories though. I heard a saying yesterday on the radio. It was something like, "Setbacks are no match for a tough mindset." Determination .....

tcsmpsi

My list of priorities is generally made well in advance.  As I spend the majority of my time at the shop in town, working to keep up with the bill-paying necessities, all those moment to moment priorities become fundamental.  My outer perimeter priorities generally rule themselves (vehicle/equipment/house/land maintenance, firewood, etc.).  From there, come the secondary priorities, etc., etc.  Every now and then, I balk and do something just because I want to....or don't. 

I, and my darling wife have learned that when asked by myself or her, 'what are you going to do today?', the only truthful answer I have is, "Start."   
                                                                                :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

pineywoods

Quote from: weisyboy on May 11, 2011, 06:15:11 AM
i learnt a few years back not to plan, i get up look at the sky decide what im gunna do now, when im finished that i decide what im gunna do next.

people get annoyed at me but leave anyone hanging.

My kind of guy.  Sometimes, I don't even finish a job, quit and go do something else.  Get back to it later.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Piston

QuoteSometimes, I don't even finish a job, quit and go do something else.  Get back to it later.

I try that theory out often, so far, there is very little that I have actually gotten back to....  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bibbyman

Update...

Last evening I went out to try and pull the pin.  One half of the pin just slid out with no problem.  I didn't even try the other half.  I took the half pin to the hydraulic shop this morning and had a new one made.  The plan now is to use it to drive out the other half.   I hope that works.

I did get the logs sorted and stored this morning.   If I get the Terex fixed I may put the fan back up in the shawshed where it blows down on my neck when I saw.  Sometime during the winter the wind knocked it down and since I didn't need it then,  I didn't put it back up.
Sawing since '94

sealark37

There is nothing wrong with a plan.  I have found that i must be able to drop the plan and sprint for the sideline.  Instead of getting everything done, I try to get "something" done before the day is done or I am done in.  First things first, then all the other stuff falls in line.  Not my saying, but I like it:  "Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things".    Regards, Clark :)

Bibbyman

There have been more than a few days where I not only fall short of completing the plan, but actually fall backwards!

The plan to drive the new pin in and the old pin out didn't work.  Looks like the bushing in the cylinder end is crushed.  Plus, we can't figure out how to bleed the cylinder to let the pressure off.   It has some kind of valve body on the side of the cylinder that I suspect controls the flow and won't let it leak down if a hose breaks, etc.  It's on the underside of the cylinder and I don't know what it would take to bleed it down.

Got an equipment mechanic coming to work on it.    We need to get back sawing.

Sawing since '94

laffs

sounds like a routine day for me. seems like i pick a task to do and have to do 14 other things just to get that one job done, either moving lumber or equipment several times or fixiing equipment so i can move it. hope your projects get better.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

ely

you guys are talking about" sequences" i learned about them years ago reading some books written by patrick mcmanus. :P

laffs

he's my favorite author,,,,poof no eyebrows
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Banjo picker

I have had a few laughs reading about Rancid Crabtree myself...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

red oaks lumber

i plan my day 100%. at the end of the day if i got 50% of what i had planned done, man that was a good day.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

jamesamd

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 11, 2011, 04:56:57 PM
 Plus, we can't figure out how to bleed the cylinder to let the pressure off.   It has some kind of valve body on the side of the cylinder that I suspect controls the flow and won't let it leak down if a hose breaks, etc.  It's on the underside of the cylinder and I don't know what it would take to bleed it down

Bibby,thats a counter balance valve,it stops the load from droping if a line blows.It should have an adjustable screw that is locked with a nut,unlock it and back out the screw VERY SLOWLY,count the turns of the screw so You can reset the limit.If the cylinder is up it will fall slowly when the load  (dead weight) is more than the spring pressure on the valve.If the forks are on the ground already,just back it out ,till it relaxes.Then tap out the other half.The cylinder may need to be supported,so it does,nt drop.Be carefull
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Bibbyman

I cracked every line and every valve on the valve body and got nothing to come out or slack in the cylinder.  Don't seem natural.  The cylinder is part of the fork leveling system and is hooked in parallel to one on the front forks.  As the boom raises and lowers, it adjusts the front cylinder so the forks are level.

My camera batteries were dead the other evening.  I've got new ones now.  Maybe a picture will help.  The valve body is under the cylinder so it's difficult to get to and examine.  'Corse, it'd be easy if I knew what I was doing.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Update...

Terex has been to the heavy equipment repair place one week today. 

Repair guy says the beam was bent but he's got it straitened and re-welded.

The cylinder needed a new bushing.  Bushing ordered, bushing came in, wrong bushing.  Another bushing next day aired, wrong bushing.  E-mail to Italy to see what's up.
Sawing since '94

tyb525

The purpose of the counter balance valve, like James said, is to prevent the load from falling in the event of a hose breakage. That's why nothing came out of the valves or lines.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bibbyman

Yesterday morning I e-mailed the heavy equipment repair place yesterday to get an update.   The lady replied late in the afternoon that the part had finally come and it was the right one.   I returned her e-mail asking,  When?  And how much?..   

This morning I was out to the mill for an early start and there the Terex was!   They had delivered it sometime after 7:00 pm because I was out there that late.   I still don't have the bill.  The lady said she's not got the price on the parts yet.

But ....

Yesterday was one of those days.  A guy was to show up at 9:00 with some logs to custom saw.  He didn't show but a thunderstorm did.   He finally did show up about 11:45.   I got him unloaded in short order and had a quick visit and he and his grandson left.   But as he was leaving, a mini-van pulled in.  Old retired fart wanting some cedar to make a table top so long by so wide.  L o n g  story short,  it took me 45 minutes to get him gone.   By now it was well into my dinner time.  So I went in and grabbed a quick sandwich and a hand full of chips.

Went back out and hauled off the slabs and such.  Went for the edgings and must have clipped the corner of the edger with the point of the fork on the Terex.    It was setting on 6x6 blocks and it tipped off one side and was leaning at 45°.   Oh! NO!..   I had to move the lumber stack and get the Terex in the building to upright it again.    I had to work quick as Mary would be home any minute.   I didn't make it.  Mary rolls in.   I brought her over to show her what had happened.   She was not pleased.   I got a talking to.   I tried to upright it with the forks and it just came on over on its side but on the forks.   I blocked it up to keep it from going on down and got a log chain and we lifted it back into place on the heavy blocking.   It's ok but I lost a lot of points with Mary over it.  :'(

I brought the bundle in progress back around and put it back on the saw horses.  Somehow about 100 bf of it fell off one side and had to be re-stacked.  More points lost.  :'(

We had to work until 4:00 in the heat and humidity to get done what I'd hoped to get done by noon.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Bibbyman,I'm so far behind on points.I could do everything picture perfect for 10 years and still be behind. My latest one.I ran HER tractor out of fuel while mowing. I know better. It was getting low,just one more pass and I was done. She had that ankle surgery and is not at 100% yet. So I was doing it. It was getting dark too. I go to the store to get more fuel. Take the side cover off and lay that on the ground. Blend it out and I'm up and running. Might as well take that last pass I wanted. Next day friend comes over and ask where the side cover is. I just knew it,there goes some more points.   :o  That  last pass got it. The side cover is a mesh,but I got a corner of it. Tractor not even a year old and I'm destroying it all ready. I did the best job I could. Famous words of my FIL,It doesn't look too bad.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Well,  I hope this works.

The 3500 Dodge was making some new sounds the last time Mary drove it.  Saturday I made a delivery and could tell something was wrong under the hood.  Yep,  A/C clutch was out.  And A/C wouldn't kick in.

I got home and checked it out.  There was a fuse blown.  I replaced it.  The A/C would kick on and blow cold but make an awful racket.   We had a load to go to West Plains this morning.  The more I sleep on it,  I couldn't send Mary off on a 400 mile trip with the A/C going out.  Worse thing that could happen would be to lose the belt – thus lose power steering, etc.  Dead on the road.

I looked though the web sites of the parts stores that we have in town – NAPA, AutoZone and O'Rally.   Most didn't even list a clutch – only a compile compressor unit. 

This morning I unloaded the lumber and headed off to town to see if I could find parts or leave it someplace to get it worked on.  Just up the road I ran into the gravel haulers (who are getting gravel off our property).   I turned around and followed them to or place.  One of the guys is reported to be a pretty good mechanic.   I had him listen to it and he confirmed that the clutch was out and wouldn't get much further.   Advised it wasn't any big deal to take the old clutch one off and replace it.  The guys volunteered to help.  We pulled back the shade tree near the sawshed and in a few minutes they had the old pulley off.

Now the adventure begins.   I took the old pulley to town and to the three parts stores.  None had a bearing or a clutch assembly in stock.  I wanted one today as we have green lumber flat stacked and needs to go tomorrow.  Went to the Chrysler dealer – didn't have one – only sold the complete compressor unit – could have one tomorrow.

I thought of another garage/parts store/wrecker service out by the highway.  Drove out there.  Everyone was working a big truck wreck and the one lady there manning the parts store didn't have a clue and admitted it.  I'd have to come back after they got done with the wreck.

I had Mary call a junkyard in our area.  They had a complete compressor unit on the shelf for $100.00 but would not sale just the clutch assembly.   AutoZone wanted $67 just for a bearing that they wouldn't have until noon the next day.  I took the compressor unit.  I was advised that there would be no warrantee if it was not professionally installed. 

Taking the pulley and solenoid off the used unit was no big problem.  But getting to the snap ring on the old solenoid was quite a struggle – even with snap-ring pliers.  I struggle for an hour trying to get the snap-ring back on the used solenoid.  I had to unbolt the compressor and tip it up to get it on.  The rest was a bit of a struggle but about 3:00 I got the serpentine belt back on and it seems to be working ok.

I've wasted a day and $100.00 if it does not work.  I've maybe saved $1,000.00 if it works.
Sawing since '94

sandhills

I'd bet it was just the bearing in the clutch and it will work, I get to do the same thing with a tractor tomorrow but I have to make a puller to get the clutch off first, hope mine works too.

Banjo picker

Bibby I think I would throw those dice.   Not a lot to loose...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thechknhwk

Today I planned to put nerf bars on my truck and a tongue jack on my norwood 2000.  Wife ruined plans by side swiping mill w/8 month old Chevy Tahoe, dislodging freshly installed tongue jack, spinning it 90 deg so the tongue was flat on the ground, dislodged the mill head from the rails, destroyed front driver side fender of tahoe, and put a 30" scratch in the front bumper.  Then yells at me for putting my big orange sawmill in the driveway, some words were exchanged, none of them kind.

Thank You Sponsors!