iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt 15 my first job with pictures

Started by Jeremy2200, May 10, 2011, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

Finally got my trailer built under my lt 15. Got a call to saw about 1500 bdft of pine here in North MS. Had a blast doing it and I learned a few things (Most important I didnt charge enough) Cant wait til my next job

rambo

Nice pictures. How much did it cost for the trailer kit? I just got an lt15 a couple of months ago and your pictures are making me want the trailer package.

Jeremy2200

I have a fellow firefighter here at the station and he just happens to be a certified welder and I build custom furniture. I built his son a dresser and he welded me a trailer. I have about $500-$600 in it (just materials) If i would have bought it through wm it would have cost me around $2000. It makes it nice when people call to come to them

Piston

Jeremy, Great job on the trailer.  I could certainly use something like that for my LT 15.  Would you mind sharing some more details of the trailer and how you built it?  Just a few close up pics would be great.  What size box steel did you use for the main portion under the mill? 
Do the tires get in your way while walking down the sides at all? 
A trailer package would sure be useful!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

fishpharmer

Hi Jeremy,
Congratulations on completing your first job.  The mill and lumber look good.

Did you stack and sticker as part of the job?

Fish
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Woodchuck53

Way to go Jeremy. Nice rig. The cost of having fun will catch up with you some times. I always pay me first and my equipment second. Just a thought. How do you load the logs on the mill, power winch or something off your truck?
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

ely

he probably used that long logrite leaned up on the loading ramp :D that would sure be a workout.

Jeremy2200

Thanks everybody for your posts. I at first had a 1500lb hand crank winch but when i tried to load the first log it stripped out the gears on the winch so I had to do the whole job using a come-a-long and it was very slow. I have a 8000lb warn ordered.I just stacked the finished wood to the side and let the customer stack it in his barn when i left.  Piston for the trailer I used 4" channel instead of square tubing and the tounge is made of angle. The tires dont get in my way even though i thought they would since they dont get in my way i am going to put fenders on them. I will be more than happy to share my ideas on a trailer with you if you need me to.

Tom

How were you running the cable to the winch, Jeremy?

If the winch is pulling from the back of the mill and the cable goes over the mill, over the log, back under the log and is attached to the mill, the the log is being rolled, not pulled. It seems that the hand winch could do that, unless you had some very large logs.

laffs

must be nice to be young, rolling those logs up a ramp looks like a workout.

nice job on the trailer, good first job
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Bill Gaiche

Jeremy2200 ,welcome and the trailer build looks good. When I built my trailer I thought the wheels were going to be in the way also, but there not and I dont even notice them there. Glad you are having fun and keep it up. bg

Kevin

I bought a 12 volt jack for raising the small end of the log on my LT-15 and it's a nice addition.

Jeremy2200

Tom that is how i was running the cable and it still stripped the teeth off of the winch. Still loving it though got 4 12' red oaks im going to 1/4 saw tomorrow if the rain will hold off

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Piston

Quote from: Kevin on May 11, 2011, 10:03:59 PM
I bought a 12 volt jack for raising the small end of the log on my LT-15 and it's a nice addition.

Do you just wire this directly to the battery?  That's a great and simple idea that I never would have thought of.  Do you have any recommendations for which jack is working well for you? 

Thanks for the info on the trailer, I want to price out some steel at the local steel yard and see what I can do.  A trailer would make things so much easier for me.   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Chris Burchfield

Good Job Jeremy2000.  Doesn't the saw dust smell better than smoke?  Good job on the trailer too.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

Kevin,

I am interested in more details on the jack as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

You now have a very nice setup and congratulations on that first portable saw job.  Safety is the main concern when handling big logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kevin

This is where I bought the jack  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=741131

This is where I have it wired directly to the battery.

rambo

Jeremy,
where did you get the outriggers for the saw bed?
thank you
rambo

weisyboy

nice job,

i like your trailer, sure looks handy.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

sst04

Quote from: rambo on May 13, 2011, 09:17:48 PM
Jeremy,
thank you
rambo

Maybe they are the swing away trailer jacks?, at least thats what I was thinking about if I purchase one of these.

tyb525

I think his friend made them along with the trailer.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

rambo

Jeremy,
thank you
rambo

Maybe I should refer to them as the black down riggers.

Jeremy2200

I have not put the winch on yet but I need to get started on that. The out riggers are home made. Woodmizer wanted an outrageous amount of money for the outriggers so My welder made them. They are square tubing inside of square tubing. Unhook trailer from truck and lower jack all the way down and then drop the back outriggers then raise the jack on the tongue all the way up and lower the front jack. Pretty simple to do. I bought a bulldog jack that is removable after you pull a pin so down the road i am going to put some of the pipe that holds the jack on  on the back of the trailer instead of buying another jack you can just move the one on the tongue. after you drop the outriggers i just have pins i put in them like the outriggers on our ladder truck at the firestation. I am interested in some pictures of the electirc jack you are talking about.

Thank You Sponsors!