iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandwheels

Started by Hale87, May 10, 2011, 07:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

When I took my bandwheels off to replace the belts on them, I noticed the one had slid to the side about a 1/4 of an inch on the shaft. Must have happened very recently, because it looked like a very new spot on the shaft where it moved. Not knowing the construction of the wheels I looked for a set screw. Came up empty on that. Being that they are 2 piece, the large pulley and the small collar. Is the collar the part that compresses against the shaft? Don't want to tear it apart for nothing and or put it out of balance. If there's a set screw in that thing I'm lost because I cleaned it out, and I can't see it.

Thanks for your help..
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

r.man

Sounds like a taper lock set up. You buy the pulley first and then get the proper taper to fit inside and match your shaft as well. I believe that to release you loosen the small bolts a fair bit and then thread one or two bolts into the extra threaded holes in the taper. This will push it back and release the whole setup from the shaft. You should feel the extra bolts go in and then bottom out. A few firm turns after should do it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

robnrob2

r.man is right, but most likely ya gotta do all the bolts, pull tem, and thread them into the other holes and they will bottom out against the wheel and seperate the two,, little out a time you lean aginst each one, you'll see it come apart.

Hale87

Ok, thanks for your help.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Brian_Rhoad

When you tighten the bolts to hold the pulley to the hub, don't over tighten them. There should be a gap between the pulley and hub flange. The torque rating is not very much. It depends on the bolt size. And it's not as high as a regular bolt torque rating. You are supposed to torque the bolts 2 or 3 times to the rating and thats it.

Hale87

The bolts a re 5/16", but I wouldn't now how to measure torque on them. Can't reach with a socket set unless I take the bearings of the one end. Not something I want to do, unless completely necessary.

dutchman

Just replaced drive side pulley this winter.
Mine only needed 38# torque.
Look up the pulley you have and you should find the torque.

Brian_Rhoad

I found some specs for QD bushings. 5/16" bolts should be torqued to 180 INCH pounds. A 6" wrench should have 30 lbs. applied to end to get 180" pounds.

Here is a link to instructions for QD bushings.

http://www.kamandirect.com/resources/2010/downloads/quick_detachable_bushings.pdf

Hale87

MartyParsons

Hello,
Some of these taper locks are made of cast. The release bolts are designed to push the pulley and the taper apart. Most times you will need to shock the pulley away from the lock. Tighten the release bolts but not to much. Shock with a BFH and a block of wood. I have also seen set screws to hold the key in place.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

paul case

my hay baler has a few of those taper locks on it. some do have a set screw and they are all on the collar of the taper lock on the key. i think marty is right, they are just to hold the key in. the ones i have seen with a set screw have a thick flange like 3/8'' on the taper. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!