iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel Pickups

Started by Gary_C, May 08, 2011, 11:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Quote from: Ironwood on May 28, 2011, 10:31:47 PM
I did become somewhat enlightened the other day about Duramax. I have a family with 3 of them, two brothers and a Dad. Seems at 200K or there abouts they go thru a head gasket. I had not heard of this issue before with that engine. All three hit 170-190-200 respectively and needed head gaskets. FYI.

Ironwood

The Duramax has had Headgasket issues from get go. The aluminum heads are a source of this.. I have fixed 5 Different 6.6l Duramax's with head or headgasket issues, Always get the Heads checked if their is a Headgasket failure. plus early D-max (LB7) were known for Injector issues.

Ironwood

Thanks for the input. I am not a GM guy, but usually I get wind of this kind of stuff at some point.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

medic

This makes my old '85 F250 with the 6.9 diesel look better and better  :).
BTW, the truck I drive on my paying job is a 2010 F250 with the urea tank.  We've run it through the winter with no noticable problem with the urea freezing.  Of course, that's in NC not Minnesota.  It rarely gets below 0 (F) in my part of the world.
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Grunex

Currently I am driving a 83 ford f-350 and have been wishing for a new one soon.......wether that will happen or not depends on a lot of things as you guys will all well know.  But I was wondering does the Dot have the right to pull over pickups to check for the DEF fluid?  even if they are not used as commercial vehicles?  What would happen if the systems were removed after intitial purchase? I'm not advocating doing something illegal here I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to have the better fuel economy than to loose fuel economy to the DEF system and have to buy more fuel to do the same job.  I would be willing to bet that emissions from the DEF engines will not change a thing in regards to the amount of actual pollutions in the atmosphere when you factor in the lose of efficiency on the part of the engine.
www.grunexlandclearing.com
Maintaining America's Heartland one acre at a time.

Ironwood

Look in Truckpaper, and find the truck you want with a 7.3. You are a Ford guy right?

Ironwood.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bobus2003

Quote from: Grunex on May 31, 2011, 12:57:49 AM
Currently I am driving a 83 ford f-350 and have been wishing for a new one soon.......wether that will happen or not depends on a lot of things as you guys will all well know.  But I was wondering does the Dot have the right to pull over pickups to check for the DEF fluid?  even if they are not used as commercial vehicles?  What would happen if the systems were removed after intitial purchase? I'm not advocating doing something illegal here I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to have the better fuel economy than to loose fuel economy to the DEF system and have to buy more fuel to do the same job.  I would be willing to bet that emissions from the DEF engines will not change a thing in regards to the amount of actual pollutions in the atmosphere when you factor in the lose of efficiency on the part of the engine.

Does MN do Emissions Testing? If yes, you have too keep the DEF/DPF systems intact at least long enough to get tested then remove, but be able to reinstall for next years testing. I know of a few 2011 Fords running with No DEF/DPF systems and Tuning and are cranking out stupid power and pretty awesome MPG's.

BUT!! If your using your truck for Work, running Commercial License plates the DOT can pull you over and inspect the truck.. Will the DOT officer know whats supposed to be on the truck, prolly not but it could happen

Thank You Sponsors!