iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherries on Top

Started by Magicman, May 07, 2011, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I normally don't saw on Saturday, but sometimes you make exceptions to accommodate the customer.  Anyway I sawed 1463bf of mostly 1X12 SYP and a few ERC logs.  He said that he had a couple more logs.

Two Cherry logs.  A 26" butt log and a 22" little end.  They turned out 378bf of mostly 1X12's.  Nothing like finishing a good day topped off with Cherries.

22" Cherry log on the mill and the 26" butt log to the right. 

378bf of Cherry with the SYP on the trailer in the background.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rbarshaw

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

paul case

good looking lumber there.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

Magicman
Thought you were Retired ??? lots wood there fer a days work 8) 8)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

WildDog

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

redbeard

Good looking stack of lumber, I think you need to add another M to your name "Machine" 1500 Bf is a good work out.  ;D
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

mikeb1079

Man those cherry 1x12s look great.  Customer have any plans for them? Nice work mm!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Just hobby type projects.  The only reason that he had the Cherry logs sawed was because I was there and he had them.  You really can't tell by the picture, but they and been on the ground for years.  All of the sapwood had completely rotted off.

I agree, 1841 bf of mostly 1" lumber is a good day's work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Dodgy Loner

I will not rest until I find a cherry like that to saw. 16-inchers are nice, 26-inchers are even better :)

On second thought, I will not rest even after finding a cherry like. ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

At 26", that was the second largest that I have sawn.  The second cut was 22" on both ends and was limby.  The knots made some unusual patterns.  If I remember correctly, the largest was the 31" that I sawed last year.

LOGDOG

fishpharmer

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 08, 2011, 09:36:02 PM

Especially when the baby arrives ;)!  Congratulations!!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 08, 2011, 09:36:02 PM
I will not rest until I find a cherry like that to saw. 16-inchers are nice, 26-inchers are even better :)

With news about the expected birth of a child in your household, you will NEVER rest again!

Congratulations and get busy building that rocking chair, and a full size one for Momma, and a cradle for the newborn, and a crib for later and a playpen, and ....

Herb

Piston

MM,
When you say you sawed 1x12's, do you saw a full 1" or do you saw on the inch marks?  So around 7/8"  I'm just wondering because I'll be milling up some 1x10's for hobby type stuff, but nothing in mind yet for the lumber, and looking for advice. 

That is a nice looking stack of cherry though!  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Magicman

If I was sawing it for myself with no project in mind, it would be 1" and maybe a bit of 1 1/8" thrown in.  My dog board and pith cuts would probably be 2+".

I have SetWorks on my sawmill and can easily saw what the customer wants.  In this instance, he wanted 1".

With the SYP, he talked about sawing 7/8" but he finally decided to saw it 1" also.

When sawing 1" the "dog board" will also be 1" so all of the lumber is uniform thickness.  When sawing less than 1", the dog board will be 1" so I have to be sure that the customer knows and understands what he will be getting.

If the customer wants 4/4 or 8/4, I add either 1/8" or 1/4", whichever they want.  In that case, I scale it 1" or 2".

It's just all about satisfying the customer.   :)

logwalker

Can you help me out with an explanation of the term Dogboard? Thanks

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

paul case

thats the last board  on the bottom of a cant. these are usually dogged down with a clamp to cut boards off of a cant. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Dog Board = the last board cut on the mill, i.e., the bottom board on the cant.

I used to cut the last cut with the pith in an 8/4 board many times.  Unless it is walnut, that board with the pith always cracks, and unless it is a wide board, a cracked 8/4 board from the pith has little use.  A pith cracked 4/4 board will have more utility because you can saw some clear strips from the sides away from the cracks that can be used as face frames for cabinets and doors, plus this cut is quartersawn grain.  I say all this to say that now when I think about sawing a 8/4 board, I want it to come from the best part of the cant so that there is minimal cracking and checking and the quality is the highest.  

The pith gives fits in most hardwood.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Notice that the pith check is oriented vertical on the 22" log for the first face opening.  Turning 90° for each face opening, this oriented that check horizontally for sawing through.  That check can be seen in about the 8th board from the bottom.  Also the 7th board in the right stack contains the pith check.

These boards are worthless no matter what the thickness.  Older Cherry trees are notorious for having this check, and it goes completely through the log.  If it is not oriented as shown, every board will split as it is sawed.

WDH

The pith always piths me off.  Tom gave a good explanation about the uselessness of the pith in another thread where there was a question about how to break down a log.

Maybe we need to start a Pith thread.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I also showed pictures of opening each face of a large Cherry log to contain the pith check in one or two boards.

I found it.  The first and also scroll down to reply #11 show setting up a Cherry log to minimize waste from the pith check.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43129.0.html

rambo

MM
Thanks for taking the time to educate us.

Piston

QuoteIf I was sawing it for myself with no project in mind, it would be 1" and maybe a bit of 1 1/8" thrown in.  My dog board and pith cuts would probably be 2+"

Thanks for the info MM.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

ely

i wouldnt say useless, i use the pith boards on the walls in the house the same as the rest of em. if the cracks get too big i just use wood filler in them and keep on moving.

for me it doesnt have to be perfect lumber to cover a wall. i like the different look it gives the place.

Thank You Sponsors!