iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pineywoods setter

Started by pineywoods, May 07, 2011, 11:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSSawmill

Nothing like a little "Redneck Ingenuity", pineywoods! Looks good, man!
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

pnhd65

I'd love to see pineywood's take on a sharpener!   8)

Delawhere Jack

Built this one a couple months ago. Pineywoods style setter mounted on a piece of high quality birch plywood. I tried it in a vise at first but it was slow and awkward. I put elevator screws threaded into tee nuts in the plywood to adjust the band hieght, but I end up setting them at the same hieght as the roll pins that keep the jaws aligned. At some point I'll replace the handle on the toggle clamp with a  longer T shaped handle for more comfortable operation.

I use feeler gauges to measure the set. I'm aiming for .024" set as measured with the gauge, which is probably a little more actually since the set probably extends a little into the body of the band and effects the measurement.

I can honestly say that the smoothness of the cut left by the bands I've set with this have been as good and better than new or resharp bands I've used in the past .

Thanks Pineywoods!  ;)

4x4American

Why don't yawl put lock nuts on the bolts to hold your setting?

Love the southern ingenuity, Pineywoods!

Comp- you can always just grind off the spare nuts you welded on to make it more aerodynamical, to help keep the greenies at bay.  :rifle:
Boy, back in my day..

pineywoods

Thanks guys. The idea behind this project was to see how simple and cheap I could build a workable setter. I gave away the original as a door prize at Magics chicken crispin. Never built another, I have one of the old woodmizer single tooth setters which I converted to dual tooth.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: 4x4American on February 20, 2015, 08:30:16 AM

I built one copying his design.  In my experience the heat from welding distorted the nuts enough that a bolt was a pretty tight fit and didn't need anything to prevent it from backing out.

Remle

Quote from: pineywoods on February 20, 2015, 10:05:48 AM
Thanks guys. The idea behind this project was to see how simple and cheap I could build a workable setter. I gave away the original as a door prize at Magics chicken crispin. Never built another, I have one of the old woodmizer single tooth setters which I converted to dual tooth.

Pinneywoods
Would you please post some pictures of the woodmizer single tooth setter, converted to dual tooth.

Thanks, Remle

GAB

Quote from: 4x4American on February 20, 2015, 08:30:16 AM

If I am seeing correctly the nut on the left is a dimpled, just above the weld, indicating he used a locknut to start with.
Gerald 
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

pineywoods

I've probably set a couple of hundred blades with this rig. An added comment...The blades need to be clean for best result. Big chunks of pine rosin on one side of the blade makes for un-even set...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Remle

Gentlemen, thank you both for the information. Looks like I need to rework my setter into a dual tooth version. I always clean and label each blade when it comes off the mill as to how it was performing. Unless it tangled with a rock / iron object or was dipping / diving for no apparent reason, it usually doesn't get set because of the time it takes to set with the single setter. So my next question is do you set each time you sharpen or how do you determine when a blade needs to be set ?

pineywoods

Remle, I check each blade for set before sharpening. After doing this for 12 years, I can feel with my fingers and tell pretty close how much set a tooth has. Until you get to that point, use a calipher. As a general rule, most blades will need setting after 3 or 4 sharpenings. Your mileage may vary, some blades may need setting more often. Clean, set if needed, then sharpen...

woodyone.john

I use this gauge to check on mine.Calipers work ,but for me,being a dexterous klutz, this is easier to check a row  teeth. I too use the piney modded single tooth setter.other pics in my gallery.

Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

woodyone.john

The numbers indicate 10 ths of a millimeter.sorry the pic is not very clear.typically I set mine to .6 on 1.2 mm blade stock,but will set some to .8 for gummy pine
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

beenthere

Post your pics, and describe them for us. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishfighter

Went in search for some toggle clamps around my house. I live in a small town area and no one has them. Where are y'all getting them from? And what size y'all using?

Kbeitz

Quote from: fishfighter on April 25, 2015, 11:11:58 AM
Went in search for some toggle clamps around my house. I live in a small town area and no one has them. Where are y'all getting them from? And what size y'all using?

E-bay has everything....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

I started my build, but got side tracked on other things that needed done. With my back out, that list of things grows by the day. First thing on top of the list is to get the trainnie finished rebuilt for my backhoe. Parts were ordered and are in, but a week in the hospital has that all on hold. :'(

Thank You Sponsors!