iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms 441 vs 460

Started by EricR, May 06, 2011, 06:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

i currently have a ms 260 and am looking for a bigger saw.  I would get the 361 or 2 but my brother already has one so i might as well 1 up him.  i am looking at the 441 and 460 and am just curious as to why both saws are so close in size and if there is a big difference between the 2.  I see they are both rated for the same length bar. 

drilldog

Go to stihlusa.com & it has all the specs & features of both saws. or you can dare to be different & go with a Husky  :)

JohnG28

The 441 is a strato charged engine while the 460 is not.  The 441 has a pre separation air filter system also, like Huskys have and a better anti vibe system.  The 460 is a little more raw power with its slightly higher displacement, should have a little more torque.  Have heard good things about both saws, but either should do the same job in similar fashion.  What are you going to be using it for?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JHBC

Both saws are very good.  I wouldn't recommend a 28" on the 441.  It doesn't have the power of a 460.  If you plan on using 24" or smaller the 441 is a bit cheaper and smaller/lighter. Both are top notch saws though.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Brucer

I've been running a 441 with a 24" bar to buck the logs in my log yard. I bought it two years ago as a back up for my Jonsereds 2171 but it has become my main bucking saw. It's a little heavier than the 2171 but has much better fuel economy.

I stick to the 2171 for falling just because of the lighter weight.

I've had absolutely no maintenance issues with the Stihl. I had to give it a tiny tweak soon after I got it to account for my high elevation. After that it's been rock solid.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

EricR

JHBC if you wouldn put more then a 24 inch bar on a 441 what would be the biggest you would run on a 460.  The sthil website says up to a 32 inch on both.

Cut4fun

If your going to carry the weight of the 441 why not get the power of the 460 with same weight.  ???  JMO

JHBC

Hi EricR, I know the specs say both saws are 14.5 lbs dry, no bar.  And they say 30" max for 441 and 32" max for the 460.  But the 460 does feel heavier(I haven't actually weighed any of them), but neither of them feel like a heavy saw.  That being said, I've used a 28" quite a few times with my 441, and it is quite nose heavy with a standard bar.  It doesn't like to pull to my liking when buried in all but the softest wood, even with fresh chain.  I only use full comp on chain under 36", maybe skip would have helped.  It's a different story with my 460, I have added a wrap handle, so there's an extra pound, but directly under my hand.  With a 28" Oregon bar and full comp chain the balance is great, it tips a bit, but near perfect.  Most importantly, despite only an extra 5.8 cc's, and 0.4 rated hp, it tears through everything.  I love both saws, but the 460 is my most heavily used in my lineup.

Jay.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

MLH29

I wanted to say this, with this disclaimer:  I am not a saw pro, and dont do it for a living, I am AD Miliatry and dont like wasting time with stuff that doesnt work as my time is valuable  to my family.   

I ahave a ms 260 pro with 3/8 bc, an ms 361 with 18/20 bc, and a 460 with 20/26 bc combos.
I cut firewood for many people when I am not deployed( currently situated in Afghanistan)   

I bought the 460 first, it is a 460 rescue as I wanted a 3/4 wrap and got a great deal on it,    I found it to be a great saw, very solid and powerful,  but heavy when dragging through deep snow etc of Northern NY.
I bought a ms 361 with intentions of selling the ms460 , another good saw, I liked the vibe system and power.   
Recently  I had a buddy that was in a bind, bought his new ms260 pro from him to help him out.  It is light, handy and after a muf mod  I now like it as much as the ms 361 with a 16 bar. 

Enough rambling on my part.   I chose the ms460 over a 441 for these reasons,  it felt more solid, has been around in a basically unchanged design for years( I read this as reliable),  most mechs I talked with said that if they chose one saw for everything it would be the 460, lastly  it just seemed to run better than the ms441 I ran( tested new at dealer  side by side) 

I would say  skip the 361   go to the 460  I doubt you will regret it    Good luck 

Al_Smith

I've ran both of them myself .The 460 of course has more go-get-em than the 441 .

The 441 isn't that bad just a little slow on the uptake with that type carburation .Some rave about the fuel economy of the 441 but it's only a saw ,not like shoving fuel through a battle ship .Then with this over zealous "green " type mind set it's likely given enough time we collectively will be saddled with this type fuel delivery system on all small engined applications .

Now in my case the sun will rise in the west before I ever bought a new saw so that is up to who ever is in the market for one of those over priced noisey things .

EricR

thanks everyone for the input.  i actually didnt get either saw.  I found a 038 magnum on craigslist and paid $300 for it.  I dont know if its true or not, but the guy said it has at most 10 hours on it.   

Cut4fun

Al will like your decision  8). He is pretty fond of the 038 series.  fire_smiley

Al_Smith

:) Old school yes but one of Stihls finest IMO .All things considered ,$300 for a cherry isn't all that bad .I mean even on a rebuilder I can sock $200 in it .

Brucer

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 10, 2011, 06:26:55 AM
... Some rave about the fuel economy of the 441 but it's only a saw ,not like shoving fuel through a battle ship ...

I bought the 441 instead of a 460 simply because there was a $200 rebate on the 441 at the time.

The extra fuel economy has reduced the cost of my timber production by $0.0003, which is not exactly going to speed up my retirement date :D. On the other hand, the time savings I made last year by not having to refill the tank during the working day probably came to half a day of production.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Saw Dr.

Quote from: Cut4fun on May 10, 2011, 05:36:41 PM
Al will like your decision  8). He is pretty fond of the 038 series.  fire_smiley

As am I.  LETS SEE SOME PICS!!!  038 is never a bad choice.  One of Stihl's greatest hits from my perspective.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Al_Smith

Because I'm about computer illiterate it would take me a week once again to figure out how to post a picture . My quick one is nothing special just a Brazilian made 038 Mag I did some work on .

Never the less I'll try to post a pic later on this afternoon .

groomer_guy

My father has the MS460 and I have run it and it rips. It weighs the same as my MS440 but has more grunt. It is a toss up which one is better. I would go with the 460 just cuz it has more power. ;D
JD 450H w/forestry package, JD 1050 4x4, Stihl 044, MS440M, 066M

Cut4fun

Quote from: groomer_guy on May 26, 2011, 01:11:39 PM
My father has the MS460 and I have run it and it rips. It weighs the same as my MS440.

??? ???

MS 440
70.7 cc   5.36 bhp   13.5 lbs

MS 441
70.7 cc   5.5 bhp  14.6 lbs

MS 460
76.5 cc   6.0 bhp  14.6 lbs

groomer_guy

Minor technicality. It is lighter than my 066 though :-\
JD 450H w/forestry package, JD 1050 4x4, Stihl 044, MS440M, 066M

HolmenTree

You might want to check out the latest 441 model called the MS441 C-M. It is fully controlled by a computer /micro processor with sensors which controls the carb and ignition timing. This saw has no Hi and Lo carb setting screws, it always runs in perfect tune.
Stihl's specs shows it is up to 5.6 BHP from the old 441s 5.5.

Always being in perfect tune this new 441 will give the 460 a run for its money power wise.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!