iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started a new project last sunday

Started by Wintergreen Mountain, May 06, 2011, 06:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintergreen Mountain

I started sawing last Sunday and got rained out. Hope to start again tommorrow, Saturday and Sunday are to be fair days.
   We have about 19000 bf of hemlock piled. 8s-12s-16 foot. To be sawed to   1 3/4" by 4" 6" 10"

Looks like 4 weeks of work to me.

Pics below.    Leon

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

tyb525

Is your milled powered via hydraulics? Looks like that's what the hoses are running to the mill.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Wintergreen Mountain

Yes      tyb525 ,

The mill is driven hydrostaticly by a 48hp  Volks Wagon diesel engine. The engine is under the tarp off to the side.
   I am slowly adding more hy.d controls to it.  I am going to make a log turner and a set of dogs next.

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

thecfarm

Not many people like hemlock. I have some on my land. It's an old timer's wood. What's all the hemlock for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wintergreen Mountain

thecfarm

Ken is going to build a 160ft x 50ft dairy barn, horse barn with the lumber, where the mill and logs are. He"ll have a store in the end toward the mill power plant to sell his Dairy and Maple products. The logs are taken out of his sugar bush to clean it up. No since in throwing it away.

Leon

red oaks lumber

if your stickering the wood now, looks like in the photo. you need alot more sticks every 18" starting 2" from each end.even if your only leaving the wood for  a few days the wood will start to sag were its not supported.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

laffs

its a good framing wood if its sound snd no shake. heavy wood. thats what im cutting when i can find it. i cut mine the same dimensions too. right now its hard to find a small outfit to supply me
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

r.man

Isn't hemlock one of those " nail it when it is green " woods?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Magicman

I know nothing about Hemlock, but it certainly sounds like a good saw job for you.    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Yep , you have a choice , nail it green or drill it dry!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sgschwend

Green Hemlock is very heavy.  Certain it would be worth a bit of drying. 

I did a quick check and 1000 bf of Hemlock weighs 4200 pounds.  The weight drops in half when the MC is down to 12%.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

TeenSwinger

Do you have problems with the hydraulic oil getting real hot on you?
What size pump and motor are you running?
I would like to power my mill with hydraulic but though it would get the oil to hot
after running for 8-10 hours.

Jacob
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

Wintergreen Mountain

red oaks lumber,

Yes we are restacking with more stickers in a couple of days after sawing.

TeenSwinger,
   The hydraulic pump is a 14 gpm piston pump and the motor is a 1.15 c.i.m. gear motor. The engine turns around 2200rpm.

So far in a 8 hour day the temp has not risen over 91*f. The last few days have been about 66*f. I built it with a tap for an oil cooler if it needs one. Still in test mode.
   Leon

laffs

if you go into HD around here the lumber piles have signs that say spruce & hemlock mixed. ive seen  entire stacks that were red. its a great framing lumber when you get sound logs. its cheap to buy($160-250 th) it grows big. downfall is that its heavy green and prone to shake. i saw the shaky  stuff into lanscpe timbers 6x6. i  saw some bridge material out of the good stuff and framing lumber. older houses and barns almost always used it for sills, i used it for sills on my barn. in my oppinion its underated these days but i think its making a comeback. it saws about like pine a lot better than spruce.

Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

captain_crunch

Works good for interior wood(at least western hemlock) but short lived outside. Think driveing a nail is defficult try limbing one of them Grouse Ladder sobs >:( >:(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

TeenSwinger

Quote from: Wintergreen Mountain on May 07, 2011, 08:23:05 PM
   So far in a 8 hour day the temp has not risen over 91*f. The last few days have been about 66*f. I built it with a tap for an oil cooler if it needs one. Still in test mode.
I figured it would get a lot hotter than that.
Do you have problems with the rpm dropping under a heavy load?

Jacob

KBforester

I hope Hemlock is making a comeback! I have to sell 8,000 cords of it a year.
Trees are good.

thecfarm

You can sell it,but I doubt you will get rich on it in Maine. But who knows may be a good market for it now.Check things out.There is a small sawmill down the road from me and that was just about all he sawed. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Not firewood in Maine. It's the hardest of the softwood and as soon as you say softwood the people who burn wood say you can't burn softwood,but that's another whole thread.
I suppose he's talking logs and pulp.Hemlock logs has been a low saler for years in this area.

Wintergreen Mountain

TeenSwinger,

The engine has a governor on it to maintain rpm. The hyd. drive  looses a few rpm but rpm is instantly maintained buy engine governor input.     
   Pic of power plant below.                Leon.

Wintergreen Mountain

TeenSwinger,

Picture didn't upload last post. Here it is.

TeenSwinger

Thanks, I was trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages with hydraulic vs electric.
Jacob

KBforester

I've got a couple of markets... they're just so up and down its unpleasant.  I'm not worried about getting rich, I get paid salary  ;D Its unfortunate for my clients that 50% of their standing volume is hemlock. Mostly studwood and pulp. Some sawlogs.
Trees are good.

Hilltop366

Hi Wintergreen Mountain, can you tell me more about the governor please ?

Thank You Sponsors!