iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hybrid Bluegills

Started by Autocar, May 05, 2011, 05:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I was in southern Indiana this week and hunted turkeys [ another story ] the fellow I hunted on has two ponds and one of them only have these hybrids in. There three years old and weight up to 3/4 pound. Beautiful fish and fun to catch on light tackle, it rained a ton and the over flow was running pretty good. Theres was hundreds of babys that [ must run like a salmon on a stream ] but I must have picked a couple of hundred baby ones out of the grass and put them in the other pond.
Bill

Jeff

Hybrid Bluegills do not reproduce Hybrid Bluegills.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Ken's Georgia Giants are supposed to be able to reproduce, but lose the favorable traits through the generations.

fishpharmer

Actually hybrid bluegills  aren't usually 100% sterile.  Reproduction is possible.  Hybrid bluegills tend to be mostly male.  They will readily cross with other species of sunfish.

Having said that, a first generation hybrid bluegill when crossed with another sunfish will not be a hybrid bluegill as we know it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2011, 05:54:00 PM
Ken's Georgia Giants are supposed to be able to reproduce, but lose the favorable traits through the generations.

The hybrid vigor is lost after the first generation cross, known as the F1.  There has been some extensive work by a university in MO that has shown that none of the first generation hybrid sunfish crosses are 100% sterile.  The first generation grows the fastest and largest.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on May 05, 2011, 05:03:48 PM
Hybrid Bluegills do not reproduce Hybrid Bluegills.

That's why I stated it the way I did.  :) Unless they were planted, those little babies ain't Hybrids.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

When our pond first started getting some water I bought a couple of hundred mail order to put in there to keep the skeeters down. Later added just regular ones and boy do those hybrid ever out grow them.

Burlkraft

Mmmmmm Blue Gills........................

It's Friday night and I think there will be bluegills on my plate  digin_2 digin_2
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

I just read that a 5.55 pound Red Ear has been caught in Arizona.   That's one big bream!

metalspinner

Here it is! :o

Tom at Angler's Pro Shop in Havasu, Az. has confirmed that a 5.55 lb. Redear Sunfish was caught at Lake Havasu Monday April 2, 2011 by Robert Lawler of Havasu while fishing a plastic worm for bass. The fish measured 16.75 inches long and had a girth of 19 inches. The Arizona State Game and Fish Dept measured and confirmed the catch and have determined that it is a Line-Class World Record Redear Sunfish.

I bet that monster put up a good fight!  Pound for pound, I believe bream are the best fighters in the lake. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

Thats an AWESOME redear! 8)

SPIKER

That looks more like a "2 PANS" fish not just a pan fish!  8)

Though I think the red ear & Green/Hybrid dont have quite the flavor of a good ole regular bug fed bluegill !  I enjoy eating some of the good sized ones & a nice small mouth can taste just as good as a nice batch of bluegill as well.   Walleye are OK as are most fish but I do like a batch of pan-fish the best.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

That's quite the fish.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

I've always been curious what the other fish thought about their buddies getting yanked out the water...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDGI7R04Qmo&feature=related

...apparently they don't think too much.  :D :D

Now I want need an underwater camera for the boat. ::)

BTW, we had a nice crappie dinner tonight. digin1
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Very interesting Chris.  You are right, "...apparently they don't think too much."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

most of the sunfish around here are pethetic ,  only 6 in long,  not much to them,  bait stealers.  they are fun for the kids tho.

last few years it seems that , years growin up remembering, the fish arnt as plentiful anymore.  the once stock holds, easy catch a limit ,  as i did mostly release.. are gone now from the meat hogs.

Thank You Sponsors!