iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

large leyland cypress

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, May 05, 2011, 07:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

A friend just dropped 8 large leyland cypress at my mill. They seem to be a very light , sappy wood. He wants 1x's to deck the roof of an outbuilding he is working on. when he saw how light the wood was he became concerned that it did not have the strength to be useful. Does anyone have experience with this wood? Is there a better use for it? Does it have any rot resistence?I have several more to cut and he is removing some more next week. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Ianab

Leyland is a hybrid of Cupressus macrocarpa and Cupressus nootkatensis. Both trees produce useful and durable lumber, but I don't think there has been a lot of research into exact properties of the hybrid. General assumption is that it will be similar to the parent species, and hence useful wood.

I have sawn some and used it for wood working projects, it's light but seems pretty strong, but I haven't used it outdoors so I don't know about it's long term durability.

It's a very different wood from the C. macrocarpa that I usually work with, but actually looks and works more like Port Orford Cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana), without the smell. The lack of scent makes me think it would be less durable though.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!