iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sassafras Stumpage Prices

Started by BlaBla, May 04, 2011, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

I'm working with a landowner with a good volume of pretty nice sassafras - 16-18", 1 1/2 to 2 clear logs. Any ideas on stumpage prices? S. Illinois/Indiana.

tyb525

It's considered it a "secondary" species, and isn't included on most reports. I can't tell you the stumpage price, it probably depends on what someone wants to pay for it. To some people, they may really like it for furniture or what not. To other people, might be nothing more than pallet lumber.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Cedarman

It tends to go for red oak prices in our area.  I sold a big trailer load a few years ago to a mill that would saw a good bit of it if they could come across it.  I asked the loggers to bring me 6" to 9" x 10'.  They must not be able to read a tape measure because I got from 4" up to 16".  Sold all the 10" and up.
We used a 24" x 12' log to make all the bathroom vanities and woodwork in our bathrooms. A very beautiful wood.
I would hate to see clear wood go for pallet wood.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

tyb525

I'd hate to see it go for anything less than woodwork also, it's all about finding the right buyer. but if someone doesn't care/doesn't know how unusual it is, it could go for pallet if you're not careful.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!