iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toolkit for a Woodmizer?

Started by stavebuyer, May 03, 2011, 03:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

The date for delivery of my LT70 is getting close. I'd like to put together a little box of tools that are routinely needed to stay with the mill. What should be in the box?

Bodger

A cell phone with the WM tech support number in speed dial!  That's been the best tool I've had.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

pnyberg

I can tell you something that you mostly won't need:  metric wrenches.   

The only place on the mill I've found any metric nuts and bolts is on the engine.

In my experience, anything you have beyond combination and socket wrenches will be used lightly.  For my portable business, I'm carrying a lot of tools that so far, I've never used at all.

--Peter
No longer milling

Chuck White

Not sure about the LT70, but here are a few I use on my LT40

The ones I use most often are:

7/16 combination for removing the shields on the saw head

3/8 & 7/16 for adjusting the up/down motor belt tension

9/16 for removing the hydraulics access cover

3/4 & 7/8 for adjusting the bunks

With these and a couple of crescent wrenches, vice grips, pliers and assorted screw drivers I'm ready to go!

Of course I don't travel very far, my furthest job ever was right around 20 miles, one way!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Cell phone.  Cordless drill/impact driver for fast bolt and screw removal/assembly.  Whatever wrench it takes to get the lugs off the wheels.  a full set of 1/4, 3/8,and 1/2 drive automotive tools. Hand impact wrench.  Multimeter with interchangeable probes, come-alongs, leaf blower, wire strippers, connectors, floor jack, belt tension gauge, metal digging tools, all your manuals,  set of wires with alligator clips, 12V light continuity tester, various pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, clip on blade alignment tool, 4' level, heavy gauge jumper cables, brush, tire gauge, flashlight, magnetic 12V spotlight,  revolving yellow hazard light & traffic cones.

ATF fluid, hydraulic fluid, liquid wrench, WD-40, teflon spray, 1157 light bulbs, all different fuses, spare tire, belts (alternator, main drive, fan, power feed), drive chain links, outrigger bolts, roller bearings, bandwheel belts, the different solenoids, hydraulic micro-switch, control panel switches, oiler track cover bolts, lube nozzles, oil filter, debarker blade, brushes for the 3/4 dc motors, wire nuts and spade connector sets.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

Which LT70 are you getting? DCS?
A 12 v test light and a multi meter helps us out when we are working through issues on the phone. Are you doing custom sawing or a stationary location?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pa_of_6

Quote from: Bodger on May 03, 2011, 04:45:26 PM
A cell phone with the WM tech support number in speed dial!  That's been the best tool I've had.

X2

And a really good place to store and read the manual because you will be needing to take it with you and read it alot.

Especially when you first get it. WM quality control has alot to be desired.

I think they use Kindergarden work experience students to torque up all the electrical connections, nothing more fusturating that trying to trouble shoot a loose electrical connection...its working...ooops, now it isnt...dam its working again!

Good luck and let the learning begin!

Chris Burchfield

A small flat nail pulling pry bar will serve two purposes.  One nails, two lifting the board you were cutting when for what ever reason the blade comes off the wheels.  Sometimes hitting unseen metal or other foreign material.  A knot that caused the blade to climb or dive excessively.  It is difficult to back the head up when there has been a "wreck" of this sort.  I keep a chainsaw with me because at times you may have to cross cut where you stopped cutting with the mill blade.  Once the board is out of the way, you can then move the mill head up and out of the way.  Let the saw dust fly and have fun.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

stavebuyer

Its a DCS and will be stationary. Everything noted will be someplace on the log yard..but I was thinking of the things used often enough to keep within reach and justify buying extras.

Larry

Similar to my setup.  The TK is only 50 yards from the shop but it is nice to have often needed tools at my fingertips.  Bought a waterproof plastic tool box.  Each time I need a tool I take note and add one to the toolbox.  So far I've needed a couple of  9/16" wrenches, extra tape, speed square, bigger combination square, straight edge, couple of markers, and a level.  Had a few extra tools in the shop that I threw in the box just in case.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

MartyParsons

We have had three DCS 70 go out of here this year. I had about 1 hour of run time on them. I have been trying to keep one here so I could get better at the Joy stick controls. I have been working with the new owners and they have been working well. Do you plan on working alone or do you have a tailman? ( I guess it should be a tailperson). I like running the 70 from the rear of the mill and saw towards me and the lumber goes away from the sawier. You can change the control with a button to change from regular to inverted control. The last one I changed the clamp solenoid so it would go the direction I wanted it to. From the factory your left hand goes out and the clamp moves in. I guess I am getting off the subject of tools needed. Once you get onto the controls it works great. The one that was delivered last week the customer had a LT40 RA and his production has increased.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

stavebuyer

Quote from: MartyParsons on May 04, 2011, 10:05:40 PM
We have had three DCS 70 go out of here this year. I had about 1 hour of run time on them. I have been trying to keep one here so I could get better at the Joy stick controls. I have been working with the new owners and they have been working well. Do you plan on working alone or do you have a tailman? ( I guess it should be a tailperson). I like running the 70 from the rear of the mill and saw towards me and the lumber goes away from the sawier. You can change the control with a button to change from regular to inverted control. The last one I changed the clamp solenoid so it would go the direction I wanted it to. From the factory your left hand goes out and the clamp moves in. I guess I am getting off the subject of tools needed. Once you get onto the controls it works great. The one that was delivered last week the customer had a LT40 RA and his production has increased.
Marty

Marty...please don't keep mine!! Supposed to be built this week and delivered next. The plan is for three people once we get past the learning curve. I agree that looking at the saw is the preferred placement for the controls but means you pretty much have to have at least one person tailing the mill. I'll probably need to supply them a chair and reading materials while figuring out the joysticks!

thecfarm

You are getting ready to saw some logs.  ;D   Is this to replace another mill? What kind of wood will you be sawing on it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stavebuyer

Quote from: thecfarm on May 05, 2011, 07:22:48 AM
You are getting ready to saw some logs.  ;D   Is this to replace another mill? What kind of wood will you be sawing on it?

This is an addition to a Frick circle mill. I'll be sawing Poplar, Red Oak, and White Oak(mosty Chestnut Oak) grade logs. We have been re-selling most of the grade logs and sawing the tie logs at this yard. This week I started holding back the 13"-15" butt logs 12' and longer to saw on the LT70.

Thank You Sponsors!