iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guacamole

Started by Kansas, May 03, 2011, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Made steak fajitas Sunday with all the fixings. I never have made a guac that I really liked. Tried pulling some of this and that from different recipes. This is what I did.

3 avocados
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 diced seeded jalapeno
1/2 diced onion
1/8 cup pace picante sauce
2 Tbs lime juice
salt to taste

This was a whole lot better, better than I can buy ready made at the local grocery store. Still not sure its up to some of the best I have had at a restaurant, but close. Am I missing anything?

jim king

I mix in finely chopped tomatoes also.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sounds good. That's about how my sister in law makes it. before that I wouldn't eat it. I try and have an open mind but bugs keep gettin in.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

I'll bet some bacon, fried up real crisp and "Gibletized", would be good in it.  ;D

Ernie

Quote from: Tom on May 03, 2011, 02:05:26 PM
"Gibletized",  ;D

What an interesting word, I'm just trying to figure out how to best work it into an everyday conversation down at the local pub.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Weekend_Sawyer

You could just use it. Someone falls off their barstool. "looks like he has been "Gibletized".
Some one asks where you were yesterday "Sorry dude, too "Gibletized" to make it.
"Hey! someone "Gibletized" my peanut butter samage!!!!"
"Sorry honey, Ida done the dishes but I was absolutley "Gibletized" and had to take a nap"

;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Those guys sure "Gibletized" that FF thread.

SwampDonkey

Sounds good to me Kansas, when's supper? ;D

Up in the Alaskan panhandle, it's Hyderized. :D

Now what was that pita pocket concoction on Seinfeld that George's boss made him run for every day until the restaurant guy banned him for taking his tip out of the jar? Then he had to ask Newman to get it on his mail route, but he doesn't work on rainy days. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RynSmith

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on May 03, 2011, 04:00:37 PM
Those guys sure "Gibletized" that FF thread.

Definitely my favorite.  ;D

jim king

Here it is a standard food as we have avacado and lime trees every where.  I like it on Ritz crackers.

Weekend_Sawyer

Mmm gooood cracker, "Gibletized"

Kansas

One recipe called for roma tomatoes, but the local store didn't have any. I refuse to buy what passes for regular tomatoes out of season at the store. Not much flavor.

You know, crumbled bacon would be an interesting twist. Well worth trying.

Tom

Yeah, but it has to be smoked, not that Maple or Sugared stuff.

Mooseherder

isawlogs

Whoa dere Tom , That maple bacon when done with real maple sure is a "Gibletizing" item to add to any meal for me  ;) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

I like the savoriness of stuff like that Marcel.  When you candy everything, you lose all that.  :D

isawlogs

Different worlds I guess . I see it as a gain not a loss ...  :D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

We'll have to get you a bottle of Real Cane Syrup sometime.  It's Goo-ood! ;D

SwampDonkey

Tom, one time I walked into a store and saw cane stalks in the produce. What do you do with it ???  I'm not a cow. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Chop them up,  put um in the grits  :) 

Marcel

submarinesailor

Quote from: isawlogs on May 04, 2011, 06:19:12 PM
  Chop them up,  put um in the grits  :) 

A waste of good cane stalks. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

Tom

HEE HEE!!   I would, Marcel, but grits have enough fiber fibre already.  :D

There's some pictures on the forum of some cane squeezing parties around here.  The best ones were out at the Spencer Airport.   A cane mill has two or three great big steel rollers with shallow grooves in them.  It might remind you of the rain grooves in the highways up there.  The mill is turned by a motor, or it has a pole on the top that goes out 20 feet or so to a mule.  The mule has been replaced with a little boy on a gasoline, riding lawnmower, today.   He goes around in a circle around the mill and makes the mill turn.  The cane is fed into the rollers a handfull at a time and is squashed and rung out just like an old ringer laundry washer would do.   The juice that comes out is green and super sweet. 

One of the favorite things at a cane grinding is to drink the freshly squeezed cane juice.  It's even better after it's been chilled a bit.   What the unwary don't know is that it can act like a dose of salts, or a major dose of exlax.  When it hits you, you best be where you can get to a bathroom or the backside of a tree.   you know those little dixie cups that you use in the bathroom to rinse your mouth?  Well,  That's about a plenty.   :D

The juice is then put in a big, flat, iron kettle and cooked over a fire (usually wood) untill of the right consistency for syrup.  Then it is cooled and bottled.  Some people, who know no better, call it Molasses.  It isn't Molasses.  Cane syrup is used for cooking, sweetening on pancakes, sweetening tea, making sweet'n water and sometimes just used for a pick-me-up by taking a swallow straight from the bottle.  It's supposed to be full of iron and, along with tasting good, is good for you too.

If you continue to cook that juice until you can remove the crystalized sugar, what is left is molasses.

SwampDonkey

Maple sap will do the same thing Tom. But I've come to find out that if it tastes like molasses than it's fructose sugar, and maple sugar is sucrose. And molasses is a good source of iron, one teaspoon has 6% of daily allowance. Yellow birch yields fructose as well. Maple sugar has 1/3 less calories and quite a few more nutrients than other sugars.

Brad_bb

The simplest Guacamole is 2 mashed avacados, Lime Juice, and salt to taste.  I'm often lazy so I use that.  If you have more energy, add diced onion, tomato and garlic if desired.  I usually have garlic in my fajitas already so I don't need it in the Guac.   I don't believe the nut helps preserve the Guac.  I do know that if you make the Guac ahead of time, and cover the top with diced tomato, it will preserve it.  It will prevent oxygen from getting to the Avacado, and the acidity of the tomato helps prevent the oxidation too.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ibseeker

Like you Brad, I like it simple. Salt, lemon and avocado. Add too much and it's not guacamole anymore.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Thank You Sponsors!