iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Hackberry

Started by woodman58, May 03, 2011, 08:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

Here is some spalted hackberry. I started the spalting process 1 year ago. I don't think it turned out to bad for my first time.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodman58

Yes it is. Thanks Magicman I have been trying for 3 days to upload pics. I thought I had it, but as you saw I didn't. Thanks Again.  Woodman58
Timberking 2200

ely

you had them uploaded, just a little trouble getting them in a post. you got the tough part down, hang in there on the pics.

good job on the hack berry.

Magicman

You have already done the hard part.  Just click on the picture in your gallery (or anyone else's gallery) that you want posted, scroll down and you will see a green line that says; "Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window"

Click on that line and then OK and it automatically copies the picture address to your post.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

What's all the lumber going to be used for? Lucky you,it came out good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

Looks great...What was your method? I just sawed a couple hackberry a few weeks ago and put the rest to bed in a wet shady area for the summer. Usually I have no trouble drying hackberry. Is yours dry or fresh cut? very nice work.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

woodman58

Thanks for the coments.
I am going to make a coffee table and two end tables. The hackberry will be the center and will be serounded by walnut.
It is fresh cut. I am going to air dry for a few weeks and the put it in the kiln. I started the process of spalting 1 year ago. I lave in the midwest. I kept them in the shade and watered the ground to keep the damp.
Timberking 2200

timerover51

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "spalting"?

Ianab

Quote from: timerover51 on May 05, 2011, 05:53:48 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "spalting"?

The first stages of decay. Fungus starts to grow through the wood and makes all sorts of interesting patterns and staining in the wood, but the decay is not so bad that the wood starts to fall apart. If you can then saw and dry the wood, the decay stops and you have those cool patterns left. But leave it too late and you end up with mush, so there is a bit of luck and voodoo involved.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

timerover51

Shotgun

timeover51, you might want to be aware of the forum dictionary found under "Forum Extras".  It has a wealth of information.  To see "spalting", go here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=dictionary , and look it up.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

timberjackrob

dont feel lonely timeover51 i never heard it called that either once i seen the pics i figured that what it was alot of my logs get that way but not on purpose ;D ;D ;D
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!