iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forewarding trailers

Started by EricR, April 26, 2011, 09:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I have a kubota 3130  30 horse and am looking for a forwarding trailer.  I have been thinking the wallenstein or the metavic m95. I think a bigger model would be a little much for my tractor and i like the compact size because i like to keep my roads as narrow as possible. I mostly selectively cut firewood and most landowners are very particular about your impact   I have never seen one in person and was wondering if these are commercial units or are they geared more towards homeowner use.  Im also curious to know if these units can load a truck. (international 4700 lopro) or would you run out of reach too quick.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

A 30hp is kinda small for what you want to do in my eyes. I have a 40hp NH and I feel that is small for what you want to do too. Yes,I know the pamphlets and the sales people all say it will do it. It will,but not very fast or on hilly or rocky or uneven ground. May have a pucky factor alot more than what you think. But saying all this I suppose taking small loads it can be done,but make a good amount of money,I doubt it. One member has a nice set up on here. bill m uses a 55hp and does it for a living. He's his profile. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=10547
I stopped and checked out a guy with a 30hp setup like what you want. He was trying to make some money with it too. He said he wished it was a bigger tractor. Never big enough anyways.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

I agree that a 30HP tractor is very small for what you would like to do.  I do low impact logging but with the larger 1150 M12 trailer with the articulated wheels all powered by a low profile small 45HP tractor. (see attached PDF).  Prior to buying this setup I used a skidding sled and in all seriousness you could do firewood ok but if you are planning on doing logging with a 30HP tractor as a business I am afraid you will be very disappointed.  

Good luck to you in any case and Metavic is a good company.  

EricR

i realize that the tractor is a little small for the work but its what is available to me at the moment and am looking to see weather this is a liable source of income for me before i were to spend a lot of money upgrading.  Right now i have the tractor a farmi winch and a old gafner loader on the landing.  upgrading to a bigger tractor would mean bigger winch and as we all know more $$$ and a then a bigger forwarding trailer if i decide to go that route.  I live on the south coast of Massachusetts and the land is pretty flat and the forester i work with likes to keep you at under 50 cords to prevent him from filing a lot more paperwork.   Also, the trees are not very big either.  I very rarely cut something with a 16 inch diameter  mostly its under 12.  I am trying to keep my operation as small and simple as possible.  I also haul my own wood with an international 4700 and that will only hold about 2.5-3 cords at a time so when thats full i usually call it a day and go home and start to break it up.  I know i wont get rich doing this but just trying to weigh my options

bill m

I am not familiar with that model of tractor. Is it 4 wheel drive? If it is and your land is not to steep it should do OK ( of course a bigger tractor would always be better  ;D) That boom length will be a little short load your truck. You might be able to do it, but not all from one side. Where in Ma. are you?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

EricR

Bill, my tractor is 4 wheel drive.  Which model trailer do you have, and how much wood do you put on it cord and weight wise?  Im from Dartmouth ma all of the wood i cut is in Bristol county.    Like i said before, the land is pretty flat.  im just trying to figure out if its worth the investment or if  should i just continue to skid everything out to a landing. 

bill m

My trailer is an 18RF ( 7.5 ton ) with a 1400XT loader. Firewood I can put 2 or 3 cords on and sawlogs I have had over 1400 bd. ft. on one load.

EricR

so would say if i were to keep it under 1.5 cords i would probably be ok.  like i said i dont need a huge capacity because most sites are small and travel time and distance to and from the landing is minimal.

bill m

On good ground your tractor should have no problems with a 13RF trailer with a M95 loader. What is the bed length on your truck? The 13RF has a load length of about 9 feet so you should try to keep the wood under 12 feet long. If it is much longer it will take weight off of the tractor and you will have traction problems. Mine has a load length of 12 feet and I have brought out 20 and 24 ft. long firewood but I don't like to if I have to go up or down many steep hills.

EricR

Bill my truck will take a 12 foot log.  Thanks for your help, Eric

Ed_K

My trailer is a majco flex 380w/Bailey's JMS 900 loader.When I had the MF1433 4x4 I went for a real hair raising ride.I now run a Landini 5860 4x4 and wish it was bigger.
The set up your talking will work,just remember to take extra care if going down hill.I would keep it to under 1 cord,2 loads would be a better option if it's steep.
Ed K

woodmills1

I worked years with a kioti 30.5 and an 1120 metavic

NICE NICE

now have DK40SE nice still the smaller metavic  except dont know ho large thr mrtavic you named is

mine comes under 1 cord rafted
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!