iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any one treating their water?

Started by Ernie, May 02, 2011, 04:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Is anyone here using water ionization or treatment of water with magnets?  If you are , does any of this stuff actually work? ???
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

I only use an aerator for ridding the water of sulphur.  It works great.  Iron and calcium is hard to get out.

Our water is great.  I think that the natural existence of some of the minerals actually makes the water taste better.

I read an article one time that stated that the areas of the USA that had soft water, had higher incidents of heart disease.  There have also been statements that softened water might lead to heart disease to.  I kinda doubt it 'cause the salt doesn't actually reach the potable water, but you have to consider it too.

I don't believe in the magnet thing.  That would only work for metalic iron, not so much iron ions.  I think that the only really proven method for "cleaning" water is reverse osmosis or evaporation/condensation.

There is a lot of "marketing" involved in the sale of water purification systems.  I wish a good solar distillation system could be developed for household use.

SPIKER

It all depends on what is in the water.   Iron is usually in solution so ya cant pull it out with magnets.   now if there are grains of iron sandy material a magnet can help but if they are that size a filter is needed anyway.
UV light is good for bacteria but best is a good filter, usually a multi-stage filtration works best.   If you have high iron adding some big magnets my help stick the iron in the filter and prevent it from continuing through when it is already partly falling out of solution.   a 3 stage filter would be good for most issues stage one high/larger micron to catch sand & grit stuff that is mostly out of solution.   2nd stage smaller micro filter to catch more of the small dia particles.   followed up by a carbon filter and or UV filter depending on whats in you water. 
Also the larger the filter the better it can catch/hold the crud as the water flowing through at a/an average slower speed will wash thru less of the materials. 

softening the water is also ok, you can use other materials other than salt, potassium something  also works well with less dissolved salts in the water & is less hard on septic systems from what Ive been told.

I dont even have a filter on my water at the farm now but I do have a dual single stage unit setup to install and when I need to start drinking it regularly I have a RO/Carbon filter setup for a sink/soft drink fountain type filter...

(R.O.) = Revers Osmosis Filter (very tight granular media) will filter down very tight & removed most stuff next step is (DI) De-Ionized filter which strips the water of most of the Ions in it and removes most everything other than Ox & H atoms.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

I treat my water with a resin tank that contains beads that capture the calcium and iron ions.  The beads are flushed daily with a brine to remove the ions and send them down the drain.  It works very well, but it is not cheap.  A system like this would cost $1500 - $2000, but it has made a huge difference for us and is worth every penny.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raphael

I've got an aerator for sulfur and something like WDH's resin tank for the iron, ours uses a combination of 'mineral sands' and back flushes twice a week into the curtain drain.  Works like a champ but as WDH says it wasn't cheap to install.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Qweaver

We pre-filter to 20 micron and then run our captured rain water through an Aqua Rain water filter and it removes all particles down  below bacteria size.  It only makes 2 gal a day but this is plenty for drinking purposes.  It will not remove dissolved metals tho'.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

D._Frederick

Several older people I know had heart problems from drinking water treated by a water softener. It causes rhythmic condition of the hearts electrical system I was told.   

mometal77

Blue fluorescent lights as spiker said. They are putting this method  in the new Jacuzzis and pools. Killing 99.9 percent of the bacteria in water and no chlorine is needed. Kinda neat..I know off topic would be nice to have one of these 4000k steam showers but I have never heard of magnets to kill bacteria?  Some people even put copper as a back splash in kitchens that kill all bacteria within 3 hours. I read.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

anne929

We are using just a water purifier at home. I haven't had a chance to try a water ionizer yet but I am very much interested. They say that drinking ionized water gives a lot of health benefits. They say that it is nature's antioxidant which neutralizes harmful free radicals, increases energy level, corrects body's acid/alkaline balance, hydrates cells and reduces many of the symptoms of aging. Lots's of good stuffs right?  :)

beenthere

But Anne, who are "they" ?   

Anyone saying this, other than the sellers of the ionizers? Just wonderin..... ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raphael

That's actually the same list of benefits most people experience from drinking more water (AKA maintaining proper hydration)...   :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!