iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A sucker and his 20 bucks

Started by Jeff, December 29, 2003, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Is that me? :D  I bought this pile of hand forged iron and rotting wood. Why? Not sure other then it used to haul logs a loooonnngggg time ago.

Think its worth putting back together or just saving the iron for important junk?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Your wife is going to thump you if you bring anymore of that stuff home..  :D

Tom

Looks like some kind of sled.  Must not have been used around here.  I don't think it would work on sand.

It might make a fun project. ;D  You'll probably end up carving a bunch of the parts.  Got any wood? :D

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Its the front, for a better term, dolly, from a sleigh. I am sure chet will have a better term for it when he gest off THE DANG LAKE!

That bugger just called me from his fish shack to tell me what a grand time he was having cause he knew I was slaving away working on Tammys used-to-be kitchen.

Nice Guy. ;) :D

Wha tis it Chester?

pasbuild

This has nothing to do with this post, I'm just checking the puter to see if it's fixed.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

D._Frederick

Jeff,
Seen a film with a sled that was used to gather maple syrup, does this sled have two sets of runners?
Either put new wood on it, or sell it, the iron is too good to make scrap iron out of.

etat

I agree with D. about the iron, old and  hand forged, and forge welded, almost certainly wrought.  Getting harder and harder to find, especially around here.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

shopteacher

I think you got a great deal Jeff.  20 bucks for a piece of logging history, seems pretty cheap to me.  Restored that thing will give you a good feeling every time you look at it and think of all the day dreaming of how it was used way back when.  Those long hard cold days out in the forest, fighting wind and snow to load and haul logs with such primitive means. Gee, I think I got twenty bucks worth of imagining out of it already and i don't even own it :).  Anything I can help you with if'n you restore it let me know. I got some nice dry ash I been saving for cant hook handles and it looks like you might be need-en a new T on that draw bar.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Keltic

I brought lots worse stuff home and paid lots more. The more junk the better, that's my motto. Happy New Year

Jeff

I'll take some better pictures after I drag it all out of the truck.

It really smells bad. Ya know how how a can of worms in dirt smells? Well that dont smell bads to me either, but imagine it ten fold. I think its the smell of decaying wood but not sure. Tammy let me bring the parts of my uni-tractor in but I aint even asking about this. :D

Jeff

Here's some more pictures. It looks like I have all the iron for both sides, but the wood on the one side is totally gone. This thing is heavy, its all I could do to drag it out of the truck. I sure wish it would have had the back dolly. (for lack of a better term)

The wood is tough to I.D. I have the impression its white oak, but really dont know. Could be ash I guess. Its still heavy even though old.

OneWithWood

Well I asked Chester ( My two year old lab ).  He said it looks like a sleigh alright but probably carried more beer and vittles than lumber.  It is definately worth restoring.  I bet a certain ice fisherman would be really handy at carving out all the wooden bits for it.  After all the fish ain't bitin' and he needs something to do  :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Well at least I got a response from some sort of Chester. :D

Kevin

I think you might be confusing the two.
Chester is the dog and the Chet'ster is the ice fisherman.

chet

Had ta sneek back home fur a bit. Needed  sumore minnows and beer, or was dat beer and minnows.  :-/  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

J_T

Like the milk can . may be Santa's sleigh ??? :D From1800??
Jim Holloway

hosslog

Hey Jeff, You got the front half of a double bob sled.Sleighs are lighter and smaller.  Looks like one of those"wish this baby could talk" kind of items. Maybe it was used under one of those big loads of logs in the antique photo thread .

breederman

Looks like a bob sled to me,Id rebuild them and if you look long enough you shold be able to find stuff to make the rear bobs with too.
Together we got this !

Jeff

So a is a bob sled defined by the turning front end?  I am taking it that the back half is fixed?

Kevin

Let me help you with that...

Main Entry: bob·sled
Pronunciation: 'bäb-"sled
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from 4bob
Date: 1839
1 : a short sled usually used as one of a pair joined by a coupling

Wes

Jeff

Ive seen them around here, in the winter they would remove the wheels and axles from a horse drawn wagon and replace them with those runners, there is also a set with log bunks on them being used as a lawn ornament, in the front yard of a house down the road from me.

Looks like something to do in your spare time ;D

Corley5

Looks like Jeff's got the old JUNQUE virus pretty bad now ;) :D :D :D :D  and chances are it'll only get worse :( :o  Few if any people ever recover from it :) ;) :D ;D 8)  If they do recover it's never a full one.  The virus goes into remission, they get rid of some maybe even all of their JUNQUE, then it comes back and they start accumulating all over again.  Does Tammy know what's happened to you and the full ramifications involved with this affliction?  If she needs to talk to some one Dee's available and has lots of experience dealing with the JUNQUE virus ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

whitepe

Man I feel really bad.... I even went with him
to some of those AN TEEK places this summer.
I didn't know I was feeding an addiction.
He picked up something like a moskeeter killer from PEORIA.
I'm sure that BRO NO down in Mizzou help feed the habit as well.    Electric Al is off the hook cause he made sure
that Jeff didn't get far from that bathroom with the new handrail.  :D
Sorry Tammy.    ;D ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

isawlogs

What you have is the front set of bob sleighs , the pin is for locking in the bonks that the logs would be put on ,the bunks must be able to turn a bit for steering purpuses . They are made of oak around here ... ( 8x8 for the bunks) the back end is fixed to the front by chains that are crossed ... the left rear runner is attached to the back end of the right front runner and right rear to left front  The ones we have at home are a little shy of 8 feet between the center of front bunk to center of rear bunk ( to be able to put 8 foot logs )  If you need any real mesuring done let me know I'll dig up a set and do the mesuring... Have a nice time in your r&r...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!