iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaky MS200T

Started by KB0NES, May 02, 2011, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB0NES

I just recently purchased a new MS200T. I've gone through a couple tanks of fuel doing some light cutting/trimming to break it in.

It has sat for about a week now and I just noticed that it is puddling bar oil under the cases. This doesn't appear to be typical excess from the chain as the saw hasn't been run for a while and it was cleaned up well before I stored it. Also noteworthy is that this oil is CLEAN, none of the grunge that is in the usual bar leakage.

From what I see is the vertical crankcase gasket responsible for sealing the bar oil reservoir? If I had to pinpoint the leak it coming from the parting line in the cases...

Has anyone else seen this issue with one of these saws? I plan to get it back to the dealer this week but thought I'd post the question as well.

Thanks,

Phil
Burnsville, MN
Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

Cut4fun

I had 2 084's do this. I just tightened the crankcase bolts and it stopped.

Being your under warranty and new, let the dealer take care of it for you.

Al_Smith

About the only way it could leak would be because the cases are loose .There's one case bolt you have to take the bucking spike off to get to .

Coincidently I worked on two of those little gems within the last week .

KB0NES

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out the case screws. I suppose with a few thermal cycles and a little vibration things could have changed a bit.

The dealer I bought it from is a bit out of the way, I'll take it in if re-torquing the screws doesn't do the trick.

Does Stihl have a torque spec for those screws? I'd love to have a copy of the service manual for the saw, I did manage to find an electronic copy of the IPL. Not familiar with how much more information Stihl publishes for their products.

Phil

Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

Cut4fun

I have a 020T service manual and it shows crankcase Nm 5.5  LBF.ft 4.0

Thank You Sponsors!