iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on Echo's 5 year warranty?

Started by oakcutter, May 01, 2011, 11:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakcutter

I have been reading with mixed reviews on Echo's 5 year warranty.  Some people have said that Echo tries anything to get out of it.  I was thinking that you couldn't go wrong buying an Echo saw, but now I have some doubts.  Has anyone here had to deal with Echo, or use their warranty? How did it go?  Opinions on Echo?  Thank you!

sawguy21

It is a marketing gimmick, if a manufacturing defect does not show up within the first season of use there likely will not be any. Many people expect every problem to be fixed for free, I am in the OPE industry and see it all the time.
Echo is a good brand, their saws don't get the respect they deserve.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Most things that you would expect to go wrong with a chainsaw in 5 years would be normal 'wear and tear'.

Spark plug, fuel and air filters, bar and chain etc. If you have to replace things like that after a couple of years, that's normal maintenance, not a manufacturing defect.

I bet it also doesn't cover you forgetting to add oil, dropping a tree on it or running over it with a tractor, which are probably most common causes of chainsaw death, but I'm sure there are people that would claim those were manufacturing defects  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nmurph

ladylake

If you run good gas and get them tuned right on 99.5 % of the saws you'll never use the warrenty. If it wasn't for the EPA they would be tuned close at the factory and there wouldn't be limiter caps, saws still need to be tuned for tempature, elavation and ethonal gas. It's not only Echo that won't honor a warrenty when bad gas is used.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Reviews coming from the Internet?  How many bad reviews,50? Not bad considering they sold 1000's of those saws.Have to remember you always hear the bad and not the good. I have no idea about Echo warranty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

miking

You should probably find out about what "some people" you mentioned did to their saws. It would probably clear up some concerns right there.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Spike60

Too many people are unaware of what a warranty actually covers: Defects in materials or workmanship. That's it. It's a warranty, not an insurance policy. I love the dynamics of the typical warranty discussion when some one is buying something.

"How long is the warranty?"

"Two years"

"That covers everything?"

"No, it covers anything the manufacturer did wrong, but not something that you might do wrong. They pay for their mistakes, but you have to pay for yours."
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

jocco

From what i have seen of echo they have become a box/hardware store item: very few dealers in my area and no emphasis on a comercial line!!
You may check out but you will never leave

SwampDonkey

They killed their Pro brush saw line, can't buy them any longer after parts and inventory are gone. They never sold many around here, I only know a couple fellows that bought them. Most buy Husky and Stihl brush saws.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Echo might not have  the Stihl or Husky name but most everyone the buys a modern one likes them when tuned right, they come set lean along with more and more other brand saws.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SwampDonkey

Yeah, the guys seemed to like the brush saws. Now that they yanked them off the market, so to speak, it is a real pain for those guys because they have to start all over on another brand to build up spare parts for break downs. Husky did this over the years by constantly changing and discontinuing models, while Stihl made the FS550 over a decade ago and it has never changed so that you couldn't slap on a part from 12 years ago onto it. I really don't like the Huskey pro model now because it sounds like it's not getting enough air. Bah bah bah doesn't sound good to my ears. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

Did they discontinue them? Mine is a SRM410U that is bombproof and bought about a year and a half ago and I see it is still on the website.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

The professional brush saw they had. Don't know the model.

miking

It's the biggest one they got but maybe not the biggest they ever had. I know it was not listed in the 2009 catalog, but it is in the 2010 so maybe they revamped it and brought it out again. I used to run a FS350 often and it compares well with that and may be a little stronger cutting trees up to ~ 2 inches.

SwampDonkey

Sounds like your using a mid range saw. I use a Stihl FS550 as an example, 56 cc.

It's the ~57 cc size above your model they discontinued.

Bandmill Bandit

Have a 3 year old echo weed eater/mini tiller/brush cutter/edger. warranty sucks. They will figure away out of it some how.

Machine is mediocre at best. If I actually need it more I would buy a husky or stihl. pretty much need to fiddle fart around with ti for 10 to 15 minutes every time you start it to get it to run decent. Once you have it running it will stay running for that session unless the sun goes behind a cloud. then you start the fiddle fart session all over again.

I got it cheap and the thing that makes it such a pain in the but IMHO is that usless walbro carb. Just my opinion.

bottom line it is cheap, maybe even a bit on the chincy side.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

miking

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 31, 2011, 04:01:06 PM
Sounds like your using a mid range saw. I use a Stihl FS550 as an example, 56 cc.

It's the ~57 cc size above your model they discontinued.

Ok.

ladylake

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on May 31, 2011, 04:02:57 PM
Have a 3 year old echo weed eater/mini tiller/brush cutter/edger. warranty sucks. They will figure away out of it some how.

Machine is mediocre at best. If I actually need it more I would buy a husky or stihl. pretty much need to fiddle fart around with ti for 10 to 15 minutes every time you start it to get it to run decent. Once you have it running it will stay running for that session unless the sun goes behind a cloud. then you start the fiddle fart session all over again.

I got it cheap and the thing that makes it such a pain in the but IMHO is that usless walbro carb. Just my opinion.

bottom line it is cheap, maybe even a bit on the chincy side.

Did you pull the limiter caps and give it enough fuel?  Steve

Bandmill Bandit

Yes i have done that and that did help alot.

This one has the annoying trait of the tension clip that is supposed to hold the needle setting not holding. I take it apart about every second time I use it and give it a bit of a bend to tighten it up and that lasts for about 2 trim sessions IF I get it just right. Then I have to take it apart and do it again. it runs nice when it runs and has good power to drive the little tiller attachment I use for my wife's flower beds. Does a decent job with the brush cutter too. just a pain to keep running that way.

My husky chain saw runs the same way every time I pull the starter rope. Never lets me down less I forget to put fuel in it.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ladylake

I don't have a brush cutter but on my saws I pull the cap, grind the tabs off and put back on and never have troulble with the adjusters moving.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!