iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A good time on the mill.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 30, 2011, 09:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

A buddy of mine gave ma a leftover 12x12 24' Douglas fir post from his cabin build. Wa hoo!
I needed some 8x8 posts for my front porch so my brother Chris and I resawed them.

The cat is a psycho kitty that adopted my brother.

The yield was nice two 8x8s, four 2x8s and two 2x2s. really nice looking wood.

Unfortunatly we didn't see the nails until it was too late. The rough area to the right of the nails is where the blade started to plunge.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

... and I still do! Thanks Jeff.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D Hagens

One of my fav mills that I've operated so far for my needs :)

ladylake

How can you get 2  8x8 posts out of a 12x12  post, maybe they're 6x6.  Lumber looks great.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Steve.  The end product isn't 24 feet long!

I was wondering the same thing, until I gave it some thought!   :-[
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Thanks Chuck, it's still early in the morning.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Metal and all and you still had a good time.   ;D   Man,you have got the fever. The only cure is saw more logs and have a good time.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Quote from: ladylake on May 01, 2011, 05:57:18 AM

How can you get 2  8x8 posts out of a 12x12  post, maybe they're 6x6.  Lumber looks great.   Steve

I was going to pile on as well till I saw the length...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sorry for the confusion, It started out as a 24' post and I cut it into two 12' posts then milled  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Man I am no good at that game! Guess I just have a natural aversion to hitting myself in the face  :D

A little plug for norwood. I'v hade it since around 02, sawn bunches of lumber on it and it has served me very well. The 24hp honda tends to be temprature sensitive and needs a little tweeking at the change of seasons but I would not want a smaller engine on it. All in all it does a good job of making square things out of round things. :D

Magicman

And sawdust and metal filings.  Still, congratulations on a having a good day.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!