iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tail gate repairs

Started by Magicman, April 29, 2011, 07:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

No, not repairing my tailgate.  Using the tailgate for a workbench.  Today I had a blade guide bearing to seize up.  I found that a ¾" socket was the correct size and made a dandy drift punch.  A 22' Crescent wrench opened to the correct size made the anvil.  My down time was no more than an hour and I was back sawing.

You can see the missing bearings.  It pays to have a few spare parts and repair kits.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KyTreeFarmer

A 22' Crescent wrench opened to the correct size made the anvil........

All I can say is that the Magicman sure has a heck of a toolbox!!! :D :D
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

WH_Conley

Sounds logical. Why an hour? Did you have a coffee break combined? :D Tailgate is a wonderful workbench.
Bill

tyb525

It also works great to roll those huge logs.

'Cept ya gotta strap it under the mill to transport it, won't fit nowhere else :D ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

red oaks lumber

22' c wrench how do you hold the end and still see whats going on ? 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

No mercy for the Magicman.  I gotta make a big mistake or you guys wouldn't catch it.   :D

Anyway it wasn't 22'.   :o  Heck it wasn't even a 22".   ::)  It was only 15".   My thinker and my rememberer are properly aligned.  Neither are working.

I do remember finishing sawing that Poplar job this afternoon.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I didn't catch the 22'. I thought maybe you meant 24" and was really wondering why you had a cresent that big. They're like a shovel with an adjustable mouth. Seen a 36" cresent hanging on the wall in a small town auto parts store one time. It was huge. Asked them if they sold many. Never, that one had been hanging there for many years.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

paul case

ok magic,

a pic of the cresent wrench is in order! i have a 24'' (i think it is 24 anyway) and a 15''. the 24 is old and is a cresent brand i believe. i bought it at an auction for $30 to tighten the tracks on my old dozer. if my rememberer dont forget i will get a pic of them tomorow and we will see who has the ugliest bearing anvil cresent.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Coon

Heck they even make em in 40" models.  ;D  I even had the opportunity to be the goof on the end of it too.  ::)  It took two of us to lift it up into place to do what we had to with it and then both of us standing on the handle and we still couldn't break the  6" nut loose.... it broke us instead.  :D  That c wrench was some old as I remember and I don't think it was used for 20 years before this and will probably be another 20 before it's used again, if ever.  We were working on an old gravel crusher trying to tear it apart to change the cone bearings.  If I remember right we ended up freezing the shaft with propane and using a big sledge hammer to entice the nut to spin off...  Glad I will never be on the end of that sucker again.  I believe the crusher has been scrapped out and melted down.....
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

r.man

We know you carry a variety of tools MM, how many bearings etc do you lug around with you?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

I thought you might of bent your tail gate. My stepson just about lost a 4 wheeler out of the back of his truck. A 2x4 and a sledge hammer made it open and close just like a new one.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Magic,  If you can get at the back side of those bearings with a needle nose grease gun drill a small hole in the seal and give them a few pumps of grease every day.  My bearings  last for years compared to months doing that.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: r.man on April 30, 2011, 06:47:09 AM
We know you carry a variety of tools MM, how many bearings etc do you lug around with you? 

Actually, I only had an old set of guides in the box.  No rebuild kit.  Since I had done a guide alignment a month ago, I knocked the bearings out and installed them in the present set.  And the 15" adjustable was a Williams and not a Crescent.

A complete set of blade guide rebuild tools.  15" adjustable wrench, 15" Warwood hammer, & ¾" socket.

Magicman

WM makes blade guides with grease fittings.  Mine uses two sealed bearings in each blade guide that are really inaccessible without removing the entire unit.  These present blade guides have a bit over 1000 hours on them.  In 10 years of sawing, this is the first bearing failure that I have had, so I suspect that it was simply a defective bearing.

Anyway, I finished sawing that Poplar job yesterday.   smiley_thumbsup

captain_crunch

Magicman
You could even survive here in Oregon ;D ;D Cresent wrench piece of pipe hammer and you have a shop truck. They had a 36" at local NAPA. Ask Kid at counter if it was metric or standard had to ask 3 others at counter before he knew he had been had :D :D :D

Coon
then take 966 loader bucket for a sweed :o :o Ain't crushers neet things to work on :-[ :-[ :-[
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

LeeB

I guess Napa must have bought a bunch of them. It was a Napa store where I saw on also.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Coon

captain, you can go ahead and work on the crushers if'n you want..... that thing was if you were tryin' to reinvent the wheel with every repair.  ;D  I think half the weight of that crusher was from all the welding rods we used to patch the thing.  You had to learn to never go anywhere near that thing unless you were carrying a minimum of a 10lb. box of rods in one hand and the stinger in the other. :o  A 980 was my choice of aligning bar with that bucket of bolts.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

weisyboy

yep, they sure are usefull, its amazing what you can use things for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGrC0KicSo

this song is exactly correct, sounds just like me.

allan (sigidi) has averry usefull vice on his side board

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

paul case

well i am a deadbeat, but i finally got those pics  of the wrenches.

you probably figured out that it was a 24'' instead of 30''. only reason i still have them is they were in a tractor instead of in my shop when the boogermen hauled my stuff off.
the 24'' is an old hound but you dont usually need a cheater pipe with it!  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Magicman

Well, at least one of us had a 20+ inch Crescent wrench.   :D :D  Mine shrunk.   :-[

I'm glad that you didn't get a close up of what else was in the back of your truck.   :o :o

paul case

thats anitas truck. she works for an outfit that cleans out reposessed houses. there is no telling what is in the back of that truck.
i told her i would catch hell over the junky truck pic. pc
pc

ely

i will make a note to keep cameras away from my truck bed...

Magicman

Which brings up an interesting question.  What does the back of your work truck look like  ???

I thought about rearranging stuff to be seen better, but this is a "come as you are" question.

I showed mine, now it's your turn to belly up.   :)

Nomad

MM, I don't think I can see the bed of your truck.  (Maybe a little spot in the middle?)  But then, the only time you can see the bed of mine is when I clean it out getting ready to fill it up with other "stuff."
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

nas

Mine's empty right now, well except for some sheep s :-X because my Dad borrowed my truck to take some ewes to the sale.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!