iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advise on new saw

Started by OldTimbercutter, April 28, 2011, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimbercutter

I am going to buy a new saw and was looking at getting a husky 390xp. I have never run one, but I want to try something different. My next choice is a stihl 460 as I have one now and it is my favorite saw. Has anyone run both of these saws and how do you like the 390? It will be used to cut timber with daily.  Thanks
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

sawguy21

What are you cutting that you want a 390?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OldTimbercutter

Cutting mostly hardwoods up to 48 inches on the stump.
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
prentice loaders
Life is good

DonT

I have a 390xpg,I like it.I have not run a 460 so i can not compare.The 372 is lighter and a good saw as well.

downunder Trav

I would advise looking at the ms660, I considered both the saws you are looking at and ended up with a 660 more saw than both of them, for a similar weight to the husky and more powerful. They are not that much more expensive than the 460 but after using them both I am happy that I went the 660, and wouldn't look back or even really consider either of the others. It is a little heavier than the 460 but there are not a lot of instances where you would notice the difference and the extra power really makes a difference. I use my 660 with a 36 inch bar in aussie hardwood, and mill with a 42 inch bar on it. This said I would probably do the majority of my work with it furnished with a 25 inch bar and this combo works exceptionally well and balances perfectly. Personally I find the stihls more comfortable to use than the huskies as well.

Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth. Travis
I am a weekend warrior with a chainsaw, But the collection is starting to grow, Dedicated slabber here I come!!!!!

OldTimbercutter

I have an 066 and a 660 stihl, both cut a lot of timber and have seen a few pistons but the crank bearing finaly give up and they are  now retired.  I just want to try something different and have heard the 390s are smoother and they are a little lighter. I bought a used 372 a few months back and I like it but would like a little more power.  Would love to hear more opinions from folks who have run them both and the good and bad on the 390. Thanks
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
prentice loaders
Life is good

Thank You Sponsors!