iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Identification

Started by Gentleman_Sawyer, December 29, 2003, 05:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentleman_Sawyer

Can anyone tell me if there is a place to send a small sample of wood for identification? I have some mahogany and would lilke to know which type it is. Thanks for all help.

beenthere

You might try sending it to:
Wood Identification Lab
USDA-FS  Forest Products Laboratory
One Gifford Pinchot Dr
Madison, WI 53705

I don't believe there is a charge for a few identifications.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skeeter

been_there,

If I recall correctly, Dr Gene Wengert over at WoodWeb will identify for you whatever wood you have.

Not sure if theres a charge, but contact him and inquire.

Heres the link>>>>

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl

Skeeter
Skeeter

SwampDonkey

HI:

Do you have a decent digital camera to get a shot of the end grain of your piece of wood? Make a fresh, square cut on the end grain with a utility knife. You'll need a 10 x zoom lens to get in close because the regular lens will only focus at 4 feet. Being closeup will blur the image. Also, get a snap of the surface grain. One might need a microscope to get the exact species by looking at the vessels and other structures. 'The Text Book of Wood Technology' is the wood ID bible which has keys to identifying hardwoods and softwoods. I have the 1980 edition. ISBN 0-07-048441-4 (McGraw-Hill series in forest resources). Maybe its in the library.

best of luck

regards
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

HI:

These folks have colored plates of mahogany species.

have a look

http://www.thomahog.com/mahoganyplatehome.htm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!