iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One way a slab is used

Started by Tom, December 28, 2003, 05:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

My Brother -in-law was stationed in the Philippines a few years ago and brought these slabs home with him.  They are finished with, what looks like, a thin coat of poly-urethane.

At the time he said that they cost about $1000 each.

The red one is a slab of reddish wood that is covered in burls. There is a front and back view. The other one is a root crown of a tree that may have been of the rubber tree family.  The ground level would be vertical and the trunk grew from the base which is next to the floor and protruded toward the viewer.  The roots are flat and he uses them for shelves to put model airplanes and "what-nots' on.

Stump Jumper

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Fla._Deadheader

Them are neat. What's the crystally lookin stuff ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Boy Tom, if'n you got up in the middle of the night after a few, those things could really scare the dickens out of ya. I really like the one with the shelves, the others are really nice also.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

"Crystally looking stuff"?  Unless you are talking about his What-nots, the only thing I can see that may fit that description is the lighter colored areas in the red slab which are caused by the flash on the poly in the areas that are natural surfaces with the bark cleaned off. ???

Fla._Deadheader

OK, stuck my nose on the monitor and found that I was seein some background stuff that LOOKED like the slabs had patches of cyrstally stuff in spots.

Guess the next paycheck goes for new lenses in the glasses. ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gus

When it comes to wood, the mind truely is the limit. Those are nothing less than gorgeous Tom. 8)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Wes

Ed_K

Ed K

pappy

DanG nice slab art  8)  8)

I'm gonna start looking at blowdowns differently now,  $1,000 bucks WOW.  :o

Might try setting myself up with some sort of a high volume water pump and tank. Our soils have allot of clay mixed in. ::)

One per week would make a nice yearly wage. ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Tom

That's the kind of marketing that some of us have been pushing for a long time, Termite.  There is money in the sawmill business in a lot of places other than cross ties, construction lumber and grade boards. (contrary to what some "professional experts" think. :D

Most anything can be sold.  All it takes is a customer and someone interested in sales enough to explain the "good points". ;D

pappy

Yup Tom yous right,

I remember my economics teacher from wayyyyy back in high school saying,  "supply and demand, just find a demand and supply it".  It took me twenty years to find the right demand.   :)

We're doin' OK with the blocks but I'd like to get back into the artsy side of things also ( twas a 70's kick).

Now if I can convince the better half I need an ATV ta get ta dem stumps....  Haveta hone up my persuasion skills again  ;D

Like;

please, please, please, can I, huh, can I huh, OH come on PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D

termite

"professional experts" we got enough of them  ::)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Minnesota_boy

It might be way easier to get them stumps out with a track hoe than an ATV.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Frank_Pender

Wow!  Those are beautiful.   Thank you for sharing them, Tom.   It just gave me a whole new set of criteria for slabing non productinve lumber logs.  Tables can take any sort of shapre or position.  Or, you can sell them as multi use pieces of wood; upright or flat, even on edge lengthwise?

In the kinds of things many of us try and produce, the imagination becomes the limitation.
Frank Pender

pappy

Minnesota_boy,

I got blow downs.   :(  ;)  ;D  :D

L. Wakefield

Yes, if you're from up our way, you sure do get blow-downs. they heave themselves tight up out of the ground. Given that thread with the tamarack roots- have you ever seen tamarack do the blow-down thing? I mostly lose white pine and hemlock.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!