iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on Makita DCS510

Started by big33, April 25, 2011, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big33

Looking for a good firewood saw. Cut about 6 to 7 cord a year of standing dead or fallen trees on state land each year.  Trees range from 6" to maybe 20" in diameter with the norm about 14".  I'm thinking about the Makita DCS510.  Does it have a metal crank case?  How much of the saw is metal?

Thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

What is the price of the Makita DCS510 with a 20" bar?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Do you have a dealer closer by or can you work on it yourself? I always push a good dealer when looking for a saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Almost identical to the Dolmar 510 which is a good mid range saw for farmers, ranchers, and weekend warriors.  ;D As thecfarm noted, dealer support is important regardless of brand.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on April 25, 2011, 11:33:19 PM
What is the price of the Makita DCS510 with a 20" bar?

Bailey's sells them for $365.

Big33:

If I'm remembering correctly, the Makita saws are basically the same as the Dolmars with similar model numbers, just a different color. I know the Domlar PS-510 is a decent mid-range saw - not up to their PS-5100/5105 pro saw, but then the price isn't up in that range either. One knock I've heard against the DCS510 is that it's a bit heavier than a number of other 50cc saw options, but if that doesn't bother you, they are good saws for the money.

A good 50 cc will be a bit slow at the larger end of the size range you mentioned (especially if you are cutting hardwoods), but it will work -- just keep the chain sharp. I did exactly what you are doing with a 50cc Jonsered 2152 (twin sister saw to a Husky 353) for several years. Same HP as the DCS510, but weighs about 1# less. It was rare that I was cutting 20". Most of my cutting could be handled with a 16" bar, so that's what I kept on my saw.

I will second thecfarm's suggestion that picking a good dealer in your area is just as important as picking a good saw. If you can work on them yourself, maybe that's not as much of an issue for you.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

Metal case yes - but is the heavier aluminum, and not the usual magnesium.

The saw really is too heavy for its power, but it is up to you if it matters.... :)

Why are there two of these threads?? ???
Information collector.

Greenerpastures

Old thread, no point in commenting.

Thank You Sponsors!