iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine dried to 10%

Started by riverswamp sawyer, April 25, 2011, 08:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverswamp sawyer

I hope this question is ok here instead of the drying and processing forum as I have seen a few topics posts concerning drying lumber here.

I have a nice stack of 1"x12" SYP that has been air drying under a shelter for almost a year. 3 weeks ago I moved it into the house we are building (it is not climate controlled yet).

Checked with moisture meter this afternoon and it is between 9.4 and 10%.......

If we plane the boards  and  build cabinets with it will there be any shrinkage? We want an ol timey rustic look so I am thinkin a small amount of shrink between boards may be ok......

Whats your thoughts??         

WDH

Yes, it will shrink a little in winter.  If you glue up the panels for your cabinets and dado the shelves in the side panels, everything will shrink together as a unit and there will be no cracks between the boards.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Do you know what the moisture content of wood that's been sitting inside a similar house for a long period is?

That's what the pine is going to dry down too eventually.

If it's noticeably lower than 10% you will see a small amount of shrinkage, but not enough to mess with "rustic" built stuff.

If the stuff in the room is only at 9%, you wont notice anything.

Also that 10% may be within the normal seasonal fluctuation that you have to expect.

Pine also has less movement as it dries, compared to most hardwoods.

Putting a Shiplap or T&G profile on the paneling is the usual way to cater for a bit of movement anyway

Around here wood never gets down to 10% no matter what you do :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brucer

10% is about the equilibrium moisture content when the relative humidity is around 50%. If the indoor relative humidity doesn't change much over the year, then your wood will be stable.

In these parts, with our cold winters, I expect to see the MC vary between 5% in winter and 8% in summer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

The EMC in my house generally runs about 9 - 10% here in Middle Georgia, however, in the winter with the heat from the woodstove,  it will go lower and that is where the little bit of shrinkage will occur.

Like Ian said, if you are building rustic cabinets, then you probably will not notice much difference.  I build a lot of projects like chest of drawers, tables, desks, etc. with air dried wood in my shop which is not climate controlled.  The EMC in the shop is about 12%, so I think about how the shrinkage will impact the piece, and then design that in to accommodate the shrinkage. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ARKANSAWYER

It is pretty dry at 10%MC for syp.  You may find it chips when you plane it as it is pretty dry.  Most of the time construction syp is dried to 19% average and interior wood to 12 to 15 % mc average.  Much below 12% and you get chipping and tear out in the wood.  
 The only thing is if you have not had the wood pretty hot for a few days they pitch is not set.  It can weep out over time or when it gets hot.  
ARKANSAWYER

Larry

Good advice has been given on the MC.

I was wondering about the pitch.  How can one sand without setting the pitch?  Will shellac seal in pitch?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dodgy Loner

As a point in reference, the mine in my dad's house in Athens, GA ranges from 8% m.c. in the winter to 10% in the spring and fall, when he's not running the AC. So your lumber will probably be ready to build with. Always build with seasonal movement in mind, though, because the wood will continue to expand and contract with the seasons! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

That movement many times is what goes "bump" in the night.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

spencerhenry

my air dried lumber here is around 6.5 to 7% in the summer, in the winter it is around 10 to 12%. that is not inside the house though. i would guess in the more humid climates that 10% is about as good as it gets.

tyb525

It should be fine, their will be expansion/shrinkage throughout the season, just like any other wood. You have to design accordingly if you don't want to see gaps.

Oh, and it would be good if you could set the pitch. All you have to do is get the wood to a temp higher than it will ever be in your house.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!