iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eel fishing is easy in these parts.

Started by Ianab, April 25, 2011, 06:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Just use yourself as "live bait"  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhf3unf3kU

We have a couple of those guys in the stream in the back garden. The cats DON"T try and catch them :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

treefarmer87

i watched  that episode of river monsters, they are agressive :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

timerover51

Ian, it looks like they would be really easy to catch a bunch of them.  Are they good eating, or only good for fertilizer?

Ianab

Quote from: timerover51 on April 25, 2011, 11:47:00 PM
Ian, it looks like they would be really easy to catch a bunch of them.  Are they good eating, or only good for fertilizer?

They are OK eating as long as you get them from clean water, and pretty darn good smoked.

You would have to get fairly well out in the bush to see that many big ones these days. We have them in the streams here in town, but only because me and the neighbours don't let anyone fish for them.

This is one of our "garden eels".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaxvsT42hik

Note the cats reaction when it swims it's way.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

timerover51

Thanks, Ian.  Interesting fish, nothing like that in these parts.  I am not surprised by the cat's reaction, as a cat is not going to be happy with anything that big coming at it.  Never had eel before, fresh or smoked, but I dearly liked smoked fish.

WildDog

I have watched a couple of episodes, he's pretty good.

When we were school aged a lot of our spare time outside of Football was spent diving for golf balls. The clarity was best in winter and the eels were very sluggish, one dam on Cromer Golf Course was known amongst the kids as "Eel pond" deep and stained with tanins, at the end of a par 3, only 2 of us would dive it and reap the benefits. The eels were big, with one guy we named "evil eye" about 5 ft. My mate Todd and I dived it regularly and never had a problem with the eels, we may of stretched the truth a bit to the other kids to protect our sunken treasure ;)

I live on the top of the Great Dividing Range where the creeks and rivers flow either east to the coast of west to the centre, only the eastern waterways have eels (Congas) as they need to be able to make it to the sea to commence there massive migratory journey.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Ianab

Yeah, those eels or some closely related species inhabit most of the Sth West Pacific, so I guess you have something similar. They are a common inhabitant of golf course ponds. They can travel overland for hundreds of yards over dew covered grass so you will find them in all sorts of places where you don't expect them

Ian 

Troublermaker

I don't think I would try catching eels that way. Haven't you guys ever heard of a eel trap or pot? I use to know a waterman that fish for eel. He would set a 150 to 200 traps. For bait he would cut up horseshoe crabs. Don't know if he still doing it or not. Haven't talk to him in a long time.

Ianab

The local Maori invented eel traps about 700 years ago  ;) :D

Traditionally they were woven out of sticks and flax leaves

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/te-hi-ika-maori-fishing/2/1

They use traditional Stainless Steel mesh for the modern ones   ;)

Ian

Ernie

Speaking of old Maori and eels.  I have an old Maori mate who has come to our place whitebaiting every year for about the last 25 years.  I recall being a bit p^%$ed off one day when in my net was a mixture of about half whitebait and half long thin elvers.  How to sort them out.  My mate took a sack, laid it on the river bank and dumped my catch onto it.  The whitebait tried to get back down to the river and the elvers wriggled up the sack to go overland.  Problem solved.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!