iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Converting band-mill from gas engine to electric motor

Started by Mesquite Lady, April 25, 2011, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite Lady

I have a Woodmizer LT 15 with a gas engine.  I wonder if anyone out there in cyberspace has converted one to use an electric motor?  We have the mill set up in a permanent location near 3ph power and have several motors to choose from.  I'm guessing a 10 or 15 hp would be more than enough power.  I am curious about what I need to convert with regards to clutch and the idle. 
Wendy Nave
Mesquite Lady
www.mesquitetree.org

paul case

i cant help with your question but i can say...
welcome to the frestry forum.    pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Biggest problem is weight. A 15 hp electric motor is a bunch heavier than the gasser. Head lift mechanics would probably need a bunch of beefing up. 12 volt electric clutches that will handle 15 hp are readily available off riding lawn mowers.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

kderby

Welcome to the forum!  Y'all have a fine set up.  I hope the kids help sometimes.

I have an LT40 withthe 28 hp gas engine.  I am now in a location with three phase.  I will convert in the future.  It will sure be nice to have a quiet and powerful mill.  I'll watch your progress and see what you learn.

Lots of good things to learn here.  Welcome to the sawdust gang!

kderby

rph816

Why would you clutch an electric motor?  Especially if it's three phase?  I would say either leave the motor running while cutting or stop/start periodically.  The start stop cycle is not as hard on 3 phase as it is on single phase.  Also, I'm not terribly familiar with Woodmizers, but if you have the old style hinge-mount belt tensioning clutch, you could probably just mount the electric motor right there and continue to use the "clutch" as originally designed (only the motor wouldn't "idle down" while disengaged).

Should be pretty straightforward.

Ryan

Bibbyman

My best advice is to call into Wood-Mizer tech support and talk with Rick "Sparks" Lauman.  Wood-Mizer has an electric motor option for their LT15 so they'll know what it'll take.

Another option would be to sale the gasser and buy a new LT15 electric already turn-key to go.  They are available with 10hp 3ph motor.  Maybe have some of the newest features too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tyb525

I'd assume WM could assist you with that, as they offer an electric motor option on the LT15.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Welcome Mesquite Lady, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

If Woodmizer offers an electric version then spec your motor for their size or possible a bit larger and you should be fine with the lift mechanism. Right now a electric version clutch thread has a few good comments about your situation. It originated with Sawmark52. I thought the account of the idler clutch sounded like an effective and inexpensive solution.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

bandmiller2

Welcome Wendy,really can't add much to what the guys said but you will be very pleased with three ph. electric much more torque and you can hear yourself think.I converted my home built bandmill from gas to 3 ph. ,just swapped them using the same idler belt clutch.I kept the belt clutch because the motor also runs  hydraulics for the head and feed,unclutched to save band cycles. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kansas

Welcome to the forum. Electric at a stationary site is a lot nicer than gas or diesel. Three phase will make things easier. I don't know about Woodmizer's smaller electric motors. But I do know that the 25 horse 3 phase electric is proprietary. The frame is different than a regular motor. If you do this conversion, I would buy one off the shelf instead. I know when we were going to sell our old LT40, I had a few people ask about converting to gas or diesel. I talked to Woodmizer and they recommended against it, due to how the machine is wired differently at the control center (if memory serves correct). I would think going the other way would not be as much of an issue.

sawmark52

Welcome!!  I'm the guy who has been picking brains about the electric clutch and although I've not taken action I have gotten plenty of food for thought.  To weigh in on the conversion aspect, I have a mill with a 10 hp sgl phase and feel as if it has plenty of power.   Unless you are planning on slabbing a bunch of 30'' logs I see no need to go bigger than 10 hp.

If I were doing it again I'd probably go 3ph for the same reasons as others have mentioned.  I do not at all regret going electric rather than gas.  I'm set up in my barn and have no desire to be on the road site cutting... quieter, no fumes and we all know gas won't be getting any cheaper! 
Good luck,
Mark

Thank You Sponsors!