iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gun Safety

Started by Gary_C, April 23, 2011, 02:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I am working on a logging job in Pine County, MN and there was just this past week a horrible accident in a small town in the county. Some guy was shooting his 22 cal pistol in his back yard and the pistol jammed so he took the pistol into the house and was trying to clear the jamb at the kitchen table when the gun discharged. The bullet struck his young daughter in the head and she is now in a Minneapolis Trauma Center in a medically induced coma. The father is in obvious shock and very upset.

Pine County Girl Accidentally Shot by Dad
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Texas Ranger

Sad, and all preventable.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Patty

Oh man, I hate stories like this. The poor dad is never going to recover from this, and the little girl, let's pray she survives intact. So sad....... :'(
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

doctorb

I have been part of too many such tragedies - lawn mowers, cars, guns, ATV's,.... you name it.  It's simply too crushing to speak about.  My thoughts for all in the family.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Warbird

Being a new dad, I can't even think about it.  I pray she survives and that the dad will find peace.

DanG

Quote from: Warbird on April 23, 2011, 06:29:12 PM
Being a new dad, I can't even think about it. 

WB, you never get past that.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

~Ron

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on April 23, 2011, 08:00:28 PM
Quote from: Warbird on April 23, 2011, 06:29:12 PM
Being a new dad, I can't even think about it. 

WB, you never get past that.

That's a fact.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ely

with three boys and a couple women yesterday eve, we had a small shooting session and at times the safety aspect of the event was a bit much, i really think the folks that have no clue about the effects of bullets are the toughest to teach.

my prayers are with the family, would be a tough one to make it through.

Warbird

I searched for an update regarding the girl's health but couldn't find anything new.

Gary_C

On the local news they just said the girl is resting comfortably now. She is still in a medically induced coma.

Warbird

Resting comfortably?  I suppose it would be difficult to do anything else when you are in a coma?  Did they say if she is expected to survive with no brain damage?

Gary_C

I am not hearing anything to answer your questions. They probably do not know any more and will not for some time. I suppose it is a similiar situation as Rep. Giffords in that it will be some time before any outcomes are known for sure.

Here is the latest news I can find. Note the family must be communicating on CaringBridge.org but I do not know how to find or access that info. And note the last two paragraphs that I put in bold type.

"The father and another adult male were shooting a .22 caliber handgun on the property next to their house," said Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole. "The gun malfunctioned – apparently, a bullet got stuck in it – and they brought it in the house to fix it. And in the course of attempting to fix the pistol, it discharged and fired ... and the bullet crossed the room and struck the girl."

As of noon Monday, the girl was still in critical condition in the Hennepin County Medical Center intensive care unit for children.

According to the CaringBridge.org website, the girl remains in an induced coma in the hospital. Her family reported that she has tried to initiate breathing on her own.

The family also thanked the community for their prayers.

Cole said that though officers are still in fact-finding mode, preliminary investigation indicates that the incident was an accident.

"The family was all there, and there were multiple witnesses," Cole explained.

Cole said he hopes everything turns out for the best for the little girl and her family. "It's an absolute tragedy," he said.

Cole said that there was a lesson to be learned from the awful events of April 21.

"If you keep firearms, never bring a loaded gun inside the house," he said. "And [especially] never bring a loaded gun that has malfunctioned into your house. If the gun has malfunctioned, that means it's not working properly – which means you can't trust the safety, you can't trust the mechanism that's built into the thing to keep it from discharging.

"People get too comfortable with firearms," Cole continued. "They forget how dangerous they really are. I'm kind of a gun guy myself, but you never, never lose your respect for a loaded gun. We all live up in this country to ride four-wheelers and have campfires and shoot our guns and keep our animals and all that, but all those things have inherent dangers. We can never forget that."

And after working on a logging job in this county, I find that you have no idea of the truth of this sentence.

"We all live up in this country to ride four-wheelers and have campfires and shoot our guns and keep our animals and all that."

Texas Ranger

We were marking timber on the Indian Reservation one time on a Friday.  As we got closer to a small lake on the tract, we heard hooping, hollering, and gun shots.  We decided it was wiser to withdraw and call it a day, rather than find out there was an anachronistic event about to happen.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Warbird

Quote from: Gary_C on May 01, 2011, 03:04:05 AM
"If you keep firearms, never bring a loaded gun inside the house..."

??? :-X

Thanks for the update, Gary.  Please keep us posted if you hear further?

Raphael

The only gun I have that I'd consider 'unloaded' is my old bolt action .22 because it's locked in the gun box and the bolt is in my sock drawer.  The rest are assumed to be loaded (even though I know otherwise) unless I'm staring into an empty chamber.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Gary_C

Sounds like good news. There was just a brief update on the news this week and they reported the girl has been taken off the respirator and she said "thank you" to the nurse that took her off the respirator.

beenthere

That is good news to hear. Thanks for the update.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Yes it is very good news.  :)

Warbird

Thanks for the update.  The fact she has clear speech is a good thing.  Thank God.

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

Yes,that is some good news.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!