iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

food slicers

Started by LeeB, April 23, 2011, 12:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Read about SD's food slicer on another thread and got me to wondering about what to buy. I have been wanting to get one for some time now, but have not done any research as of yet. What are the rest of you using and any recomendations?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

You know my theory, go big or go home!  :D

Hobart is top of the line but unless you do some catering like me it's overkill.

LeeB

Most likely a little more than I wanted to spend too Norm. I don't mind spending a little extra for something a litlle better than for a wally world model though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

I have wished, many a time, that I had a Hobart like Norms.  I have had a plastic one that I could afford years ago.  My justification, along with knowing that I couldn't afford anything more, was the they all have a steel blade and that is what does the cutting.  I soon found that the plastic isn't as rigid as iron and the blade eventually got into the framework of the plastic and then into the sled that carried the meat.  Lord only knows how much plastic I've eaten in little slivers. 

I'd still be making an effort to use it, but my wife is one who will throw something away if the paint is chipped.  The thing went to under the counter and then to a "safe place" in the barn and then to the shed (last I saw it) and I figure it is long gone now. 

My next one, if I do it again, will be made from steel, even if I have to go to a Flea Market to get it.   In the mean-time, I'm enjoying my love of a well-sharpened knife and take pride in the smooth cutting action of my Chicago blades.  :)

SwampDonkey

The only plastic parts on mine are the sled and the meat holder. The surface where the meat sits on the sled is SS. You can go up the line in this brand as well. I researched the brands in this class and they all liked this one I have the best. I have been happy so far. This weighs 10 lbs and their commercial quality units start around 15 lbs , the 640 and 645 and then up to about 30 lbs with models 662 and 667.

EdgeCraft: Chef's Choice.

Mine is the 610 model.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I checked those out and they are deffinately in the running

Patty

What sold me on the Hobart is not only does it do a great job slicing; it looks cool too! I love the contours and lines it has, just like a piece of art.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chris Burchfield

I was lucky and found an older Hobart Model 1712 in top of an old grocery store that was about to be torn down.  I spoke to the fellow in charge after I determined it had a busted deck the meat sat on.  Also the blade had been dinged on the concrete.  He said take it, they were going to toss it in the dumpster.  First off it's big and heavy with a 12" blade.  I took it home, plugged it in and it worked.  Then I figured out it would move back an forth on it's own with two speeds.  I dismantled it and ran a buffer over all the aluminum parts to shine em up.  I welded the deck with stainless steel wire and ground it back down.  With it on, I used a lap pad on a 4" corner grinder to clean up the ding of the blade.  I ordered new Hobart stickers and blade dressing wheels.  Sat it on top of wife's rolling island I made for her that Christmas.  Had it all covered up with blankets Christmas morning.  She came in to her coffee and said what's that?  I said, your Christmas presents.  She uncovered it all and said what's that?  Meaning the Hobart Meat Slicer.  I said a meat slicer.  She said " That *&$@ thing is not staying in my kitchen!"  Like I said above "it's big and heavy" and still sitting where I left it.  Even the smaller commercial ones from a restaurant supply would run $400.  This is one of the few lucky deals I've ever come across.  I've not used it but a few times but, on a Pork Loin or Sirloin Tip Knuckle, you cant beat it for a shaved meat sandwich.  Break down and clean up are not too bad but, you have to be very careful of the sharp blade.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Ernie

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on April 24, 2011, 01:05:37 PM
  Sat it on top of wife's rolling island I made for her that Christmas. 

We are remodelling our kitchen and Jan is making rolling island noises, got any pictures?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

Chris, that sounds like the response grandmother had when she got one for Christmas. But, grandmother was along in years. Grandfather had the idea when fellas from Maine he was guiding for salmon fishing were bringing sliced deli from back home. Grandfather figured it was easier to slice his own. But, he should'a got the idea 50 years before. Grandmother was done with cook'n or slice'n. :D

For occasional use, I believe my slicer will last me for a long time. Only one mouth to feed, mine. :)

Tom

I had a wife like that once.  She yelled at me for bringing home a 16" cast iron skillet and had me return it.  She didn't like the boat.  She didn't like her fishing poles.  She complained about the state of my truck, my paycheck and finally had some cheap carpet glued down on the pretty pine-board floors. 

I tried for a lot of years but ended up sending her on down the road and got me another  one.

SwampDonkey

:D :D Grandmother wasn't like that. She was just getting old and had had some bad health, so gave up on being the cook. My uncle was the new cook. ;D Heck my grandfather was babied to death by grandma.  :) :) 8)

Burlkraft

Quote from: Norm on April 23, 2011, 12:17:30 PM
You know my theory, go big or go home!  :D

Hobart is top of the line but unless you do some catering like me it's overkill.

That's an awesome unit , there Norm.
Patty seems to appreciate it..... :D :D smiley_devil_trident smiley_devil_trident

I have a Chef's Choice. Works good for what little I do.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Looks awesome Norm and Patty, but my wallet is too thin to afford luxury. :D  When I told my mom what I paid for the low end model, her jaw dropped far enough already. :D :D

Chris Burchfield

Ernie, sorry so slow.

Floating Island, Meat Slicer, 4legged counter duster, Pot Rack.

End display from Grocery Store Modified to fit back of cabinet for pot rack.

Forged snaphook for pot handles.

Chris Burchfield

For the island, I bought a regular Kitchen Cabinet, marked and cut off the 4" riser at the bottom.  Installed two fixed and two swivel casters.  Inlaid a 3/4" piece of plywood in the top.  Formed, mixed and poured Precision Grout by Quick Crete for the top.  I did use 1/4" rebar in the grout.  Provided a radius corner on the top by using a dressing stone for the bench grinder while it was still a bit green.  Sealed with polyurethane.  Painted with oil base and installed the pulls matching our existing cabinets.

On the Pot Rack I used a 1/4" round stock to a washer and welded holding the rack off the cabinet.

The snaphooks I forged in the shop with a twist for decoration.  Fishtail was bent to snap and hold in place while the pot handle end was tapered and hooked.

The four legged duster was just laying there waiting on someone to pop a top.  I explained it was five o'clock somewhere but not here.

Ernie

Thanks Chris, I don't think that I'll show Jan ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Patty

Wow Chris, that is very nice. I really like your pot hanger with the forged hooks.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Chris Burchfield

Ernie, I figure you have a little over 8 months till Christmas.  My island was about $200.  The cheapest I found was $600 at a box store on up to $1200.  Thanks Patty.

Ernie

I still need to finish the bathroom and wash house renovations and at my current rate, I will be luckey to have them done by Christmas. :(

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

There's a man serious about his slicing. Look out kitty cat. ;)

thecfarm

Love those SS pots. I bought my wife 2 diffearant sets.That critter got some money tied up in that 4 square area.  ;D  Buy it once and you are done. Took me quite a few Christmas's and birthdays to get all the things she needs to keep me fed well. It's a win-win situation for me. She also has the SS serving,slotted,salad spoons and stirrers and all that stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: Tom on April 24, 2011, 07:46:54 PM
I had a wife like that once.  She yelled at me for bringing home a 16" cast iron skillet and had me return it.  She didn't like the boat.  She didn't like her fishing poles.  She complained about the state of my truck, my paycheck and finally had some cheap carpet glued down on the pretty pine-board floors. 

I tried for a lot of years but ended up sending her on down the road and got me another  one.

Ahhhh I do enjoy a good love story! ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!