iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First poke salad of the season

Started by LeeB, April 22, 2011, 11:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Picked my first mess of poke salad for the season yesterday evening. Fixed it with some home cured bacon and it was sure tatsety.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

I had some the week before, Bacon and romano cheese, delish!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scottyblue

Quote from: LeeB on April 22, 2011, 11:14:28 AM
Picked my first mess of poke salad for the season yesterday evening. Fixed it with some home cured bacon and it was sure tatsety.

I had to research poke salad.Interesting.I see Elvis sang a song called Poke Salad Annie :)

Here in Ontario I still had snow up until a few days ago so it will be awhile before I'm picking/harvesting anything :(
Scotty

timerover51

Quote from: scottyblue on April 23, 2011, 08:34:10 AM
Quote from: LeeB on April 22, 2011, 11:14:28 AM

I had to research poke salad.Interesting.I see Elvis sang a song called Poke Salad Annie :)

Here in Ontario I still had snow up until a few days ago so it will be awhile before I'm picking/harvesting anything :(

"Poke Salad Annie" was writted and first performed by Tony Joe White.  I am old enough to remember his very distinctive singing of it.  One of the few songs that I thought another singer did better than Elvis.  Never have had it so hopefully, someday I will get a chance to try it.

Banjo picker

I was going to pick some this evening for tomorrow, but got called back into work to get a tree out of the road....Have any of you folks ever pealed the stalk battered it like orkra and fried it....You can eat it that way after it gets too big to eat the leaves...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

If someone was to poke me wit salade , ain't too sure it would be eaten!

So do I need to go look for pics of this or one of yas going to post one .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

I'll get you one this evening if someone don't beat me to it Marcel... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

One of the very very early threads on the forum was my wanting to identify a vigorously growing plant by the transformer just outside of my sawbooth.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,309.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Poke weed packs quite a punch  ;D.

"Phytolacca is alterative, anodyne, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-cancer, expectorant, emetic, cathartic, narcotic, hypnotic, insecticide and purgative."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Banjo picker

Marcel what you want to get to eat would be the young tender leaves like in the last pic in Jeffs post...I would throw the little white imm. berries away....If one gets too big just take a blade to it and it will almost instantianiously send you up some new shoots....Mine grow around the horse corral...It supplies me and a couple others all they want each year...Tim

isawlogs

Thanks , then again nothanks  ::) :D  I aint in need of eating a salade that can fill me,fix me and clean me all in one meal. I will let those goats of ours have at it with that. ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

Ok here you go.....Bobby and I just had a mess....thats what you call it...a mess of greens...

there it is growing peacefully around the corral....

thats what you pick off the top of the plant....

thats poke salit...cooked.......cornbread....and a jar or pepper sauce.....with some onion on the side.....I had a pork chop in the fridge...but I forgot it in my haste to have two plates full..... 8) 8) 8)  Tim

Banjo picker

Marcel ...I have had goats in the past and for the life of me I cant rember the eating the poke.... :D  ......they can't cook it...Tim

isawlogs

Ok so this salade has to be cooked to be edible , is that it. ?    :P

Marcel

LeeB

That it does. i just cooked up a mess this evening with onions and bacon. Had it with cream corn , cilantro and buttered potatoes, and pan fried catfish  filets. Had a couple of pieces of cornbread left over from bean soup and used that to bread the fillets. Good stuff. My belly is full full full.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timerover51

Quote from: isawlogs on April 28, 2011, 08:37:24 PM

Ok so this salade has to be cooked to be edible , is that it. ?    :P

This Wikipedia site has a description of the preparation if it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

Weekend_Sawyer

A buddy of mine, who was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, was pulling weeds one day and pulled up a poke bush and saw a nice sized tuber under it. Taking out his knife he shaved off a dime sized peice, chewed it a little, didn't like the taste, spit it out and spent the next 3 days in the bathroom!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

Note to self : if ever ya make it down south, if one of them pulls a tuber and offers a peice with a yum-yum said about it, get um to taste a chunk first .  :P

Marcel

WDH

If you do make it down here, there are much worse things to watch out for than a chunk of tuber  :D.

Tom

We used to play with them when I was a kid.   You get'em out of a truck tire and float on them when you go swimmin'.  They make your nipples sore though.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ok Tom, I had a full 5 second blank stare at the screen before that one sunk in.  :D

... I'm still not sure about that last line...  :o

WDH

Just don't jump through the tuber or the stem will get you  ;D.

Weekend_Sawyer

Patty

Yea, Jon, me too. You had more courage than I did to ask what in the world he was talking about.  :D    After the Woman Rant, I felt I better stay out of this one!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

You got to point the stem down before diving through ;D

Texas Ranger

At my age I need a much bigger tuber.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Anyone who spent a childhood in an inner tuber, hanging through the middle with their arms extended over the side, paddling, will know exactly what I'm talking about.  Doing it in the surf of the salty Atlantic Ocean is even more-so aggravating.  :D

If size has anything to do with it, I'm glad I'm a boy.  ;D

Sweet taters are good!

WDH

That is what you get for not wearing a top.  Going topless like that has its risk.

Banjo picker

Mine is ready to be picked again...One of my coworkers wanted a mess...if he don't get it tomorrow ...I am gona pick me another one...Tim

ibseeker

We talked about cooking some up with eggs but didn't get around to it before I left East TN. My FIL said it will supply all your iron needs for a year. My MIL said to cook it somewhere else! I'm trying some next year, even if I have to cook it in the cockhouse.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Banjo picker

It does smell pretty strong when you are cooking it ...but it don't have a lingering kind of smell that gets in the curtins like cooking fish in the house...at least not to me....I am sure you can find plenty of it in Maryville...Tim

Thank You Sponsors!