iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing from a control station

Started by Larry, April 20, 2011, 09:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

My TK 2000 has a swinging control station.  I can saw from either the left or right.  Can't saw from the center because I'm using the dragback.

If I saw from the right side the cant blocks my view of the log stops.  Sawing from the left the cant blocks my view of the clamp and turner.  I would like to saw from the right as that keeps me out of the sawdust.  I would also like to see my log stops without doing a quick dance to see how high they are.  My thoughts are to attach a mirror to enable me to see the stops.

Thought I would ask if anybody has a better solution.  Maybe some kind of indicator that would mark the height of the stops?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WH_Conley

Sorry, can't help. Sounds like sooner or later you gonna hear that magic squeal of blade and back stop.
Bill

backwoods sawyer

I ran into the same blind spot on the cook's mill. A big old mirror hung up on the far side of the sawdust pile made a big difference.  Kind of a pain to haul a mirror on a portable job though. Smaller mirror on the saw head may work for you.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Not sure how your TK stops are hinged but what you need is a short pointer that is at the same angle as the rear stop on your side of the mill.Nothing big to get in the way but easy to see and to tell if your up down or half way. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

The B20 stops aren't hinged, they go straght up and down. i think you should get fancy and put on a electronic hieght sensor kind of like the sensor on the setworks. Or you could rig up a shaft going to the back with a pointer driven off the shaft that drives the stops.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom

I ran into that same problem and found that mirrors don't work too good.  You lose the relative size and height of the dogs.  I finally just resolved myself into looking and dealing with the "Crink" in my neck.  :)

You find that you won't be able to see something, regardless of where you stand.  There is stuff on both sides of the log.

paul case

my manual mill has a stop to catch the head if the back stop is up to high. i am not sure how well this would work on a power feed mill. you can see it well in this pic. it is a square tube that hangs down in front of the far roller guide. it slips through a larger tube and has a small cable run to the operators side that will pick it up when pulled on. the catch will hang on knots and such on the first cut so thats the reason for the pick up cable. the backstops on this mill have a catcher welded to the top of them that will hook the stop tube. pc

thats the back stop in the lower lh corner. this lil contraption has stopped me from cutting the backstops many times.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

On my bandmill I put a small piece just in front of and just below the stationary guide.If it hits the upright it will ether stop the carriage or push the stop down out of the way,theirs no way it will let the band hit the stop. Frank C.

Brucer

Larry, I'm not exactly in your situation but there are times when I would like to see the far end of the log.

One thing I'm exploring right now is one of those "backup cameras" that were invented for SUV owners. It has a tiny digital camera that mounts above the license plate and a small LCD screen that mounts on the dashboard. The camera and the screen both require 12V, but the video signal itself is wireless. Everything is solid state so it will probably stand up to the vibration on the mill. Around here you can find them on sale for $100 or less.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Larry

That's just a pretty DanG good idea.  I did a little research and think I'll order this one.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/rvs-770617n-rear-view-camera-system.html

Thanks Brucer.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Jeff

Hey, that's a dang cool idea. Larry, this one is going to call for a video! 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

I can't imagine a video of log stops going up and down is going to be to exciting, but I'll do what I can. :D :D

paul case

that could create one of those black hole effects, taking video of something video, couldnt it? dont fall in the black hole!  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

rbarshaw

These backup cameras work well, just keep the sun off the screen with a cover so you can see the picture. The only problem is people tend to focus on the picture and lose track of the other important things taking place.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

ladylake

It might be better with a DRO , they sell them for planers and table saws for less than $100   ..   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Heck, if it doesn't work you could even put it on your car.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

I didn't even know about these things until 3 years ago when the local auto-parts store had them on sale on the front counter. I was worried that they would have a wide-angle lens and not give me the detail I needed. So I asked if they had one set up as a demo. Ha! What a weird idea. So the following conversation took place:

Me: "So if I buy this and it doesn't work out, can I return it?"
Salesman: "Normally you could but there's a 'no-return' policy on sale items."
Me: "So if I bought one next week when the sale is over, I could return it?"
Salesman: "Sure, no problem."
Me: "Well, can you sell it to me now at the regular price?"
Salesman: "Uhhhh ... I don't think we can do that?"
Me: "OK, bye."

>:(

I got busy and never did get around to trying it.

bandmiller2

Larry, their has to be a way to attach something to the backstop linkages so you can get a good idea how high they are,even if its a wire cable with a weight on the end.I do believe mini TV screen would be more trouble than its worth,remember the KISS principal. Frank C.

Larry

Steve, I couldn't find a DRO with enough capacity for the log stops.  At least in the $100 range.

A few years ago HF was selling a backup camera system for $40.  A couple of friends bought them and they work great for hooking up a trailer.  No more getting out 4 times to check the ball.  HF for some reason discontinued them and I forgot about the idea until now.  One would be great for a portable sawyer.

KISS is a great idea Frank.  When I bought the new TK I would have never spent the money for setworks if it were an option.  Now I can't imagine sawing without it.  I do have a  simple idea that may work...if only it would quit raining.

ladylake

The KISS method is the best most of the time.  My setworks quit working (just a loose gear by the sensor) for the last hour of a job last week, I sure wouldn't be without it either.  Steve

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Larry on April 25, 2011, 06:55:03 AM
  No more getting out 4 times to check the ball. 
My record is around 13 times!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

Quote from: Brucer on April 25, 2011, 01:39:33 AM
I didn't even know about these things until 3 years ago when the local auto-parts store had them on sale on the front counter. I was worried that they would have a wide-angle lens and not give me the detail I needed. So I asked if they had one set up as a demo. Ha! What a weird idea. So the following conversation took place:

Me: "So if I buy this and it doesn't work out, can I return it?"
Salesman: "Normally you could but there's a 'no-return' policy on sale items."
Me: "So if I bought one next week when the sale is over, I could return it?"
Salesman: "Sure, no problem."
Me: "Well, can you sell it to me now at the regular price?"
Salesman: "Uhhhh ... I don't think we can do that?"
Me: "OK, bye."

>:(

I got busy and never did get around to trying it.

thats got to be one conversation any parts salesman hasnt had before. ''will you take $10 more for it?'' :D pc
pc

Brucer

Quote from: paul case on April 25, 2011, 09:27:55 AM
thats got to be one conversation any parts salesman hasnt had before. ''will you take $10 more for it?'' :D pc

That was about what it would cost to make another trip. Then there was my time -- half an hour each way. Besides, it's a good way to "test" a business. Are they willing to accommodate the customer, or do they want the customer to fit their way of doing business?

I also gotta confess that it's sometimes worth it to see the expression on their faces ;D.

Coon

Brucer, I think I am gonna try your tactics on some of the businesses around here just to open up some eyes if nothing else.   :D  Some of these businesses are so set in their ways around here that it's no wonder why so many of them are so close to closing up shop.   ::) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ScottAR

For the record, I work at a parts counter and I woulda' sold it without a second thought.   :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!