iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine cone alert

Started by Kevin, December 25, 2003, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

etat

It is absolutely beyond my comprehension that we would be importing pine cones, complete with bugs, from India! :-X :-X :-X
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Corley5

Will we ever learn ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) ::) >:( >:( >:( :( :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rebocardo

What is worse, of all the things we do not need to import it must be pinecones.

Frank_Pender

Isn't it marvelous, it is always after the fact that some bureaucrate gets half their head screwed back, close the place it belongs.   It is not just pines the blasted worm could affect, but all sorts of conifers.  
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

Hully gee- that is so nuts!  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SwampDonkey

Well, that's globalization for you.

We've recently aquired the Japanese pine beetle also, which looks similar to the sawyer beetle.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bud Man

It's ironic that most of the world has imposed demands that wood products exported from the US have  to be exposed to heat temperatures to kill possible pathogens but we seem to never learn.  Odds are that pathogens will be what does us all in and because of Globalization it'll get everyone and everything !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

L. Wakefield

Maybe I'm not looking at it realistically- but- it's one world- these pathogens didn't wipe out life as we know it in their native area- they may hurt us but nature is (and we are) more resilient than some folks believe.

Commerce now, that's likely to take a heavier hit.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

IndyIan

LW,
Not trying to be negative, but pathogens like dutch elm disease and chestnut blight have had some big effects on forest composition in North America...  Now I guess there will always be forests here but it'd be nice to have some quality native trees left!

Hopefully governments will start taking a longer term view and have some stricter rules about importing wood products from different ecosystems.  Stuff like importing pine cones only makes sense economically in the short term and it'd be nice if we could get some politicians that could think beyond their term!

Ian

L. Wakefield

I hear that! The chestnut blight was a truly horrible thing. I still want to bring those beautiful trees back.  lw

Thank You Sponsors!