iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Purple Heart

Started by stumpy, April 20, 2011, 08:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

My dad was in WWII and received a Purple Heart.  Like many of his generation, he never talked about the war.  He's gone now and I'd like to know more about what happened.  Does anyone know where I can go to get the actual record of what happened to earn him a purple heart?  I've checked with many sites about metals and honors, but I''m looking for specific details about my fathers incident.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

thecfarm

AMVETS close by? I have a guy close by to me that is right into the Vets. He wants to make sure every soldier has a flag on Memorial Day on his grave. He told me I have alot of heroes in my family,like any of us do that have been in any war.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Stumpy
The field notes that were made daily are available in copy-form. Hourly notes of activities recorded.

As an executor of a friend who was in the Battle of the Bulge and the march across Germany to Berlin, I was amazed at the volumes of information that he'd found available for his research into the activities he went through during that War.

Being that these field notes are available, I'd think knowing your Dad's battalion and the time period would be a place to start. There are apparently a number of books, reports, recollections published as well.
This friend, after 45 years of being silent, decided to write his recollection of what he went through. Then he sent it to his squad (?) that had been to a reunion for their editing and correction. This led to the desire to gather more and more information for a final publication. Unfortunately, lung or prostate cancer caught up with him before his publication was finished. Much of his collection I passed on to the Veterans museum for their use.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

Stumpy,

Try this link to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/veterans-and-next-of-kin.html

They should have his military record.  Hopefully it wasn't lost or damaged in the fire they had a few years back.

Bruce

Raider Bill

My Uncle was KIA at Normandy D+2. I researched him through the link that Sub Sailor supplied below and was not only able to get his records but was able to find and contact the guy standing next to him when he was KIA. I also found  his drinking buddy throughout training. The drinking Buddy has since passed but I still have contact with the other guy. I have enjoyed talking to the Man and learning much about my Uncle. I doubt I will ever stand next to him though. ;D
Once you get his unit do a web search as there's many sites that they have registered at.
Hurry though as the WW2 guys are dropping fast
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawthemlogs

i cant help with your request...dad will be 86 ,,is a purple heart recepient,  like you stated he never talked about  his experince there...you can ask all i can get is i just drove a truck there....i guess its something they dont want to think about.. idid find tidbits from letters.. interesting enough alot of the letters he had written home we still have...they where kept by his sister and mom....even still have the telegram s the military had was sent to his parents about him getting wounded.i am very proud of him and all the veterans
R.D.

pigman

The fire was in 1973 and the following records were destroyed.

Army   Personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960    80%
Air Force   Personnel discharged, September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964
(with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)
   75%

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

stumpy

Thanks Guys, for some ideas on where to start.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!