iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me find out more about my Dad.

Started by Jeff, April 19, 2011, 02:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A couple weeks ago I posted a photo of a ribbon that belonged to my Great Grandfather. At the same time I came across a few possession that belonged to my dad.  I've had this small box marked Air Medal since my dad died, but I've known of its existence all of my life in his desk drawer.  I know very little of my Dad's war experiences, and some things I am just beginning to learn. In this box are some medals, but there is also a little statuette that I always thought was Mary. I do remember Dad saying when I was young that while he was flying missions over Germany out of England a woman had given it to him after he had had some sort of meeting with her. He told me her name, and I heard him mention her name a few times, but never let it register in my memory who she was. I tired to remember a couple weeks ago when coming upon the box again, but couldn't. This morning I awoke from a dream and had the name. Her name was Clare Boothe Luce. http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/luce-cla.htm

Until this morning, I had no idea who Clare Boothe Luce was. I googled her and found all sorts of things out about her.  What I wish now was that I would have had enough sense to ask my dad more questions while he was alive about everything and anything.  After taking a picture of the small figure, which I always thought was pewter or something, I found after looking at it blown up that it had either been plated or painted gold. Clearly this object had been important enough that my dad had either carried it, or handled it to the point of its loosing of its paint. I also learned, that it is not Mary. Who it may represent, I do not have a clue, and that's what I am asking for help with.  You can click on the photo of it to see a very large image where you can see that it was gold at one time plus whatever details are left. I am guessing that it is a lead figure, like the old lead toy soldiers they used to make.   Again, the only thing I do know is that my Dad met Clare Boothe Luce in England during world war 2 where he was a gunner, and she gave him this little statue that apparently must have meant a lot to him.

I really know nothing about the other medals either. There are more somewhere that I knew he had when I was a kid. Click on the statue for a pig photo

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jim king

Do a search on.... American military service records WWII-------and the same goes for Canadian.

There are a lot of sites to help you.

JV

I can't help you on the statuette.  The second photo is an aviation badge indicating that the person was a member of an air crew.  The 4th picture is a weapons qualification badge indicating level of achievement as Expert, Sharpshooter, or Marksman.

The Air Medal:

"Awarded to personnel who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Armed Forces of the United States, shall have distinguished himself/herself by meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. Awards may be made to recognize single acts of merit or heroism, or for meritorious service."

You can be proud of his service.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Texas Ranger

The statue is the classic Mary, Immaculate  Heart.  Or of Jesus, Sacred Heart.  Hard to tell with the loss of definition.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Norm

You sure can, anyone that flew those missions have my up most respect.

Did he fly in B-17's Jeff?

DanG

Jeff, that is the Air Medal that goes with the box.  It was awarded differently in WWII than in the Vietnam era.  It probably was awarded for some heroic deed or other significant act, such as shooting down an enemy plane.  IMHO, it was a more meaningful medal than it came to be in my time.  During Vietnam, they started awarding it for completing a certain number of missions, and I ended up with 23 of the things.  To me, that was a slap in the face of those predecessors of mine who earned theirs the hard way.  Downright embarrassing, really. :-[  They shoulda come up with a "Meritorious Bus Driving" medal or something. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

DanG, one of my college room mates spent 3 tours over there in the air, had a bunch of them as well, a star , too, you and he earned them.  Some of the REMF's probably didn't, perhaps, but flight crews did.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

wood monger

Jeff, I think that figurine is Jesus.

Jeff

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 19, 2011, 03:35:27 PM
The statue is the classic Mary, Immaculate  Heart.  Or of Jesus, Sacred Heart.  Hard to tell with the loss of definition.

I Sure don't think so. Here is another large image of it

https://forestryforum.com/saint2.jpg

https://forestryforum.com/saint3.jpg

I think its a patron saint or something. I really dont believe it to be Mary or Christ, but I suppose its possible.

Did anyone read the Bio of Clare Boothe Luce?  She was first married to a Brokaw! Not one I ever heard of, but it seems to be to much of a coincidence. This must be why she was talking with my Dad.

Jeff

Furby has noticed what looks like a word on the back of the statue. picture 3

wood monger

Looks like it might say france. Is that DSR on base.

Jeff

I'm about positive on the DSR, and I think you may very well be right on the word France!  8)  I don't know what this may tell us, but its pretty interesting. :)

Bandmill Bandit

The symbol on the chest of the figurine would lead me to look in an era much past Christ and Mary.

Joan of Arc comes to mind but the symbol isnt quite right for that. Need to find a place to match that symbol too or some one that is more knowledgeable then I am.

I am with Jeff on it being a patron saint. Question is which one?

Immaculate heart figurine may be right. loss of definition make it hard to tell.

links to currently available figurines I have found;
http://www.catholiccompany.com/immaculate-heart-statue-36-inch-p2007927/

Jeff is it possible that your dad was a member of one of the squadrons that the Tusgegee Airmen of WWII flew reconnaissance and defence for?

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Fla._Deadheader

That's not gold paint. It's Gilt, or Gilded Gold plating. It was very common on items shipped out of the New World, when the Spanish conquered the countries, and destroyed whole civilizations.

It's common to find at Spanish Shipwreck locations, dating from the late 1500's, to after the late 1700's.

It's some form of religious figure, and, could be French. Might have something to do with the woman's great grand parents, who would have lived in the 1800's ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fishpharmer

Almost looks like the Statue of Liberty Lady without a crown.  Just a guess.
Your dad was a hero, for sure.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

fishpharmer

Can I make a retraction?
Quote from: fishpharmer on April 19, 2011, 08:30:39 PM
Almost looks like the Statue of Liberty Lady without a crown.  Just a guess.

Now that I look at the photos on the large monitor, I think it does look like a Sacred Heart of Jesus miniature statue.
Looks like a heart between the hands.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

jamesamd, I think you are absolutely right!   I just wish I knew why and how dad might have been visiting with her and why she gave him the statue. Maybe she gave everyone she met one.  It could be like Tom was thinking while I was talking to him today. She was just somewhere where dad was and saw his last name on his flight suit or something, and since her first husband and her child was named Brokaw, she decided to talk to him. I still have thid feeling that it must been meaningful to him as he some how wore the plating off of that little statue.

I have related on the Forum before, how Dad had told god on one of his flights when they where they were really getting shot up, that if they made it back he would dedicate his life to him, which is what he did. He was a minister for over 40 years.  I know I have more material coming from my Dad's time in the service that is at my Oldest Sister's place. She said she was bringing it to me next time she came to visit.

Jeff

I found this on-line. Real close. jamesamd, thank you for getting that tattoo. :)

5quarter

Jeff,

That is a sacred heart of Jesus figure, although the rendering of the theme is grotesque. Notice the ribs on the chest and the heart displayed in the center. No fingers are visible because they are holding the ribcage open. at first I thought that the figure was pre-enlightenment period, possibly Italian or Russian in origin and that. DSR was probably Latin for something like Dominus______Regulus, but after seeing #3 photo, it is obviously French and definitely later period, maybe made for WWI soldiers.  it would seem given the time and circumstances, to be the most important gift your Dad could get. It may be that the figure was with one of Clares Loved ones during the war and it brought good luck. She may have thought it Just and fitting that another Brokaw have it.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jeff

This is an example of Dad's squadron patch. The 600th Bombardment Squadron. The one pictured is not his, but I have his along with some other things my sister will be bringing me. I think there is a lot of paper work, so I am excited to get a chance to go through it. :)

Jeff

Furby found the term "Pocket shrine" and I am now sure that is what this was. It should have had a small case at one point.  He found this example, which I think is mighty close.

fishpharmer

Could the letters on the base be "OSB"
Possibly meaning Order of St. Benedict? 

northwoods1

My grandmother gave me this, it is also made of lead. I keep it sitting here on my desk.

Thank You Sponsors!