iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

steam operated mill

Started by grampt1, April 18, 2011, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampt1

I can't remember if I have seen this here or not ( at 79 I am lucky if I can remember my name half the time)

Steam powered sawmill - the last of its kind -

Lots of pictures so it may take some time to load for those on slower connections:

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htm 

Holmes

Thank you  grampt1 that is a great article.   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

captain_crunch

Hull-Oaks mill is 30 miles North of me. The steam engine came from R.A.Chambers mill which was located 2 miles South of me :) :) The fellow that built my mill with me owns the property where the Chambers mill was located. The slab where the engine set at the mill is still there
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Recipricating steam is ideal mill power very high torque and with the prices of fuel oil and electric going up very soon will be cost effective again, waste steam can heat buildings and kilns and generate electric. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

We still have a steam sawmill which operates on show days in my town of Gympie down here in Aus, it's a great thing to see, just boggles the mind
Always willing to help - Allan

Dave_

They say that the old steam engine has been more reliable than any other piece of equipment at the mill.  So reliable, in fact, that years ago, they wired the whole mill for AC power but have never switched over.  The old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  One interesting side note is that they lobbied the Fed Gov to allow them a steady supply of old growth timber because they are an "operating museum."  Conservation groups argued back that we don't let historic whaling vessels take whales under the guise of being a museum.  I thought it was a great angle that Hull-Oaks used to argue their point, but in the end, the Feds said, "not so much."

The real cool thing about this mill is the length of cuts they can make.  They specialize in super long goods.  They were able to cut a 120' timber for a sailing ship restoration.  80'+ are common cuts.

mad murdock

They are some great folks there at Hull-Oakes.  They give free tours of the mill operation.  It is really cool to see the "pond bronc" driving that little tug in the millpond.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!