iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I got for Christmas

Started by Jeff, December 24, 2003, 05:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Some of you know from my posts and pictures that I have a daughter named Stacy. Well, Stacy graduated this year, turned 18 and flew the nest "to be on her own". She now live near Big Rapids, about 45-50 miles away. She has been gone over a month, but stopped in briefly here and there to check in. Tonight she came home to stay the night and spend tomorrow morning with us. Not much has changed between Stacy and I. We just spent an hour debating on why we were not opening presents on Christmas Eve. As usual, Dad finally relented and we did. She got me one of those straight line laser tape measures.

What Stacy does not realize it that I got my gift by her being here and in our yearly ritual of debating when present time is. I will be sure to tell her before she leaves. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

EZ

Them lazer tools are nice, I need to get me some or one. Great gift ya got there Jeff.
EZ

Ed_K

Your greatest gift, was having your baby come home  8) 8) 8).
 An early present to me, was my youngest son and family are thinking of moving back from salt lake  8).
 Got a smiley with crossed fingers?
 Ed
Ed K

Neil_B

My baby sister ( she's 25 now) came home from BC for the holidays. Haven't seen her in over a year.  :)
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

David_c

Best gift in the world is your kids. i know mine is. laser tape aint bad either ;D.

AtLast

I can relate Jeff. Cept mine havent " flew the coop" yet...isnt it funny though how when they are younger....making snow angles..the walks and MILLION other thing YOU and your daughter shared...as they got older it seems like Dad isnt cool to " hang with " anymore. It rips at your heart yet you know its all just part of growing up. Than comes those " debates" or situations that MAKE you " lay down the law" and you almost ALWAYS feel like poo but kno in your heart that you THINK youre doing the right thing. Ive had COUNTLESS memorable times with my daughters and charish each and EVERY one of them. I guess I need to stop looking at what was and learn to better handle what " is"   YOure right about her being there as " THE" greatest gift of all....I would literally give my life for my kids...and I think they are well aware of how unconditional my love for them is.....but GEZZZZZZZZZZ its a hard thing to back off and "  let go" knowing they are just growing up....but Ill never let go of the memories and look forward to making  more of them with them and for them.

Bibbyman

My oldest son flew back home to nest with us - just until he could find another place to stay.  That's been over two years now.  He brought with him his two daughters.  

I just got up about 20 minutes ago to put wood in the stove.  As I walked past the girl's bedroom door (kept open because they are afraid of the dark),  Alex, in a little voice, calls out; "Grandpa.  Is it time to get up yet?"  I assured her it was only 3:00 am and to go back to sleep.  "But can't I just get up and wait on everyone else to get up too?"

Replay of life 30 years ago.  Only this time it's with two girls.

I'm too old to do this over again.

Merry Christmas all...   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norm

Pretty good gift ya got there Jeff, the tape measure's cool too. ;)

EZ

Our youngest daughter was my little princess, daddys little girl. She thought Arnold Schwarenegger was great, but I was the greatest. ;D When she got in her teen years she thought I was just a piece of dirt. My heart was broken, we were at each others throat every day. I even had the Preachor over her to talk to her, which didnt do any good. At 16 years old she got pregnant, thinking we would let her get married. We said no and her and her boy friend ran away and got married. Now its been five years and she is daddys little girl again, and my son-in-law(Matt) is the greatest thing that happen for her. I love all three of them dearly and so proud of them.
EZ

pappy

Jeff you are absolutely right about having your young ons' around.

We will be opening our gifts around noon time today cause our two girls and there hubby's have to swing by the in-laws first. Then it's our turn, can't wait cause both Stephanie and Jessica had baby girls this year.  Grammy and Pappy are just besides ourselves.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

When our girls were young they got us up real early on Christmas morning.... as the years went by we got them up real early.  This morning our youngest daughter called to wake us up as it was time!!!  
Our biggest and best gift this Christmas are the new babies who are our eternity.  We are now the grandparents and the children will keep our hearts young!

DanG this rain... I wanted to go sledding with the babies today!  :(  Guess we'll just have to wait a week or so.

Merry Christmas, Jeff and Tammy and all of you Forestry Forum members!

Gram and Pappy Hartt
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

karl

Monday we became grandparents for the third time- first girl!
Today my son called- he had not communicated for over three years, he thanked me for teaching him to use tools and that he loved me.
*DanG I've missed that boy!
the best gifts don't have ribbons and bows
and sometimes they make you cry.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

breederman

now you went and did it Karl. :'(I was sitting here thinking about the kids growing up,one is back from her first semester at college and the twins are starting to come around,(some times I'm not all that stupid to them), and then you went and did it!
 Merry christmas,We are so glad your son called!
Together we got this !

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8) God blessed all us with children, then gives us grandkids to SPOIL.  and spoil we do,  huh??  Duane, there next Jeff :D ;D ;D ;D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

dan-l-b

Always amazes me that youngins like Jeff have adult children.  I bet we ain't so far apart in age Jeff and my guy is only 11 :o :o  Great gift Jeff and nice level too.
Karl, brought a tear to my eyes, Congradulations big time 8) 8)

shopteacher

I sat and watched my 20 yr. old daugther and 17 yr old son open there presents this morning. Could have swore they were only 3 and 1 for a second there.  Boy how I'd like to turn the clock back about now.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Texas Ranger

Yep, two girls, 28 and 25, and for a few hours yesterday my little girls were home, then the had to get back to work today, and back to school, and back to boy friends, but my little girls made me smile for another year.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bibbyman

My Dad has one standard gift for all the women folk in our family – a box of Whitman chocolate candies.  Always a welcomed gift.

Brooke has not stated to read yet but even the 'Grandma mean look' ain't going to convince her that the Whitman candy is not hers.
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

Karl, you went and did it to me too.   My oldest of two boys (33) went and sent me an e-mail yesterday (Friday).  first contact he has made in 1 1/2 years.   He wanted to let me know he still loved me and why he felt some of what he has felt over the last 25 years.   He left me a phone number to call him and as soon as I could find the phone and see the numbers I did so, for an hour.  

We can do the best we can with what we have at the time, in helping them grow and mature.  We can always let them know we are there for them no matter what.  But they still have to find their own way, I suppose.   With a compass. square, and plumb we can build most anything of material value, but it is love and devotion that sets the foundation for the other three to actually have success.  
Frank Pender

Norm

Well there isn't a dry eye in the house here. Glad to hear that both Karl and Frank got the best present you could ask for. I got some great gifts this year but the best one of all is this.

dan-l-b

Yea Haaa, 8)  Sounds like a banner year for homeecomings  8)Congrats again Karl , Jeff and Frank too. The Spirit of Christmas is alive and working ;D ;D

Haytrader

Add one more to the list.
Since thier mom and I divorced in 1992, my two oldest girls have had nothing to do with me. Thanks to my son and by the grace of God, the second one finally decided it was time. So my second best Christmas gift was haveing a conversation with my daughter.
The BEST present was holding her new born son, my first grandchild. What a feeling it is to see a grandchild smile back at you.
PTL
Haytrader

Bibbyman

I guess it must be different with fathers and daughters than it is with fathers and sons.

Mary and I gave our two sons a good stable home life and upbringing.  Upon graduation from high school,  they both chose to join the military.  This,  along with education benefits should have given them a chance to make it well in life.

Well,  not to be...  One works hard at being a professional bum (the short version of the story) and the other works hard at something for awhile and then changes his mind and tries something else.  Not that would be bad,  but he ends up loosing everything he has accumulated.  

They are both in their early thirties now and one has nothing NOTHING and the other has a poor paying job that about make the payments on an old truck and his rent.

The older is living with us and has a part time, low paying job that about keeps him in gas and cigarette money – and, oh yea,  his cell phone that won't work from our house so he has to make long distance calls on our dime.  Getting him to find time to help us at the mill is often more effort than he's worth.  He's a master at excuses.

The younger son, although pretty much self sufficient,  still thinks we are his commissary and supply post.  Comes right in,  puts his laundry in our machine,  makes a sandwich,  plops down in my chair and turns the Dish to the Hunting Channel. Always borrowing things without asking or even telling us he's got it.  Never brings them back.  I have to look all over the place until I give up and go up to the place he's renting and drag it back home.

Both are real good about asking for help or for favors – but when you need one from either of them,  its asking the impossible.

Yep,  they were both home for Christmas as they have been every year except a couple when they were in the military and didn't get leave.  Guess they wouldn't want all that cookin' Mary worked three days on to go to waist..

Check back in 10-15 years and maybe I'll have a different feeling about my granddaughters when they are old enough to leave home.   ::)
Sawing since '94

EZ

Kinda sounds like my son, Bibbyman. Accept he's the biggest theath there is. I have to keep everything lock up tied down, when he comes over my wife puts her purse in the safe. O-well hopefully he will change.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!