iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat screen tv???

Started by Woodhauler, April 17, 2011, 06:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

What one would be the best one for around 800-1000$$$ bucks?? Think its time i jump into the 21st century! :D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

D Hagens

We just bought a huge Toshiba flat screen for our bedroom for just under $1000.00 Canadian. We researched it and spent a bit more then the deals in the flyers but we're very happy with it. :)
The blue-ray is amazing plus we have internet on it, can hook the camera to it and D's ipod.
You need to look in to LCD if it's an everyday room where there's no great amounts of brightness, plasma if it's a dark room as you'll get some amazing colors, also with all of them look for a backlit option. 1080 dpi is great and a fast refresh rate is the way to go.
We found that the more you spent the better you'll get.

Harvey

We bought an LG about 5 years ago,  works great.

Harvey
For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

AvT

I really like my Sharp Aquious.  I think the newer LED ones are even better.  Just make sure you get 1080p res
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Texas Ranger

Go to a Sams or big box store and look what they have, we did, and ended up with a Sony.  Many out there just as good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brucer

Well, I didn't own a TV in the 20th century so I guess I can "not own" a fancier one in the 21st century :D.

Seriously, though, check out the energy consumption when you're shopping. My sister-in-law and her husband bought a flat screen plasma TV a couple of years ago. It was really marked down in price and they thought they'd got a bargain. It turns out to be a real energy hog -- keeps the air conditioner going from spring through fall.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

scsmith42

I've been very pleased with my Panasonic (6 years old). 

You might want to speak with the repair shops to find out what they work on the least (and most).  Back when I bought mine Panasonic had one of the best reputations amongst the repair guys (as did Sony).  Vizio actually had the worst reputation locally back then, but based on Doug and Jeff's comments they may have improved their quality.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

:D :D TV?? I think you guys need bigger book shelves and china cabinets. Amazing what people will spend on vices which encourage the least physical effort. :D  Of course you have to build the book shelves and cabinets to make that argument stick. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chris Burchfield

I have three of the Vizio.  Good picture quality and no problems over three years.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Jeff

QuoteYou might want to speak with the repair shops to find out what they work on the least (and most).

I didn't think there was such a thing as a T.V. repair guy any longer. Either they work or they don't. I've been under the impression that any type of repair service exceeds the cost of simply replacing the television.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
I think you are correct in that thinking. Fits mine as well.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

I do work on flat screens myself but they are medical grade ones used in OR rooms. Once past warranty they are expensive to repair and most places just replace them unless it's a cheap part needing replaced.

My current favorite maker is samsung.

Sprucegum

Last time I tried to get a TV repaired I was told it had been obsolete for 7 years already and the new models are changing so fast they are obsolete in 3 years.

doctorb

Anyone seen 3-D TV yet?  I am curious, but not looking past my Sony:  5 years - excellent product without problem so far.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Jeff on April 18, 2011, 10:56:22 AM
QuoteYou might want to speak with the repair shops to find out what they work on the least (and most).

I didn't think there was such a thing as a T.V. repair guy any longer. Either they work or they don't. I've been under the impression that any type of repair service exceeds the cost of simply replacing the television.

I just had a 32" LCD repaired. Bad power supply. Cost $185 to fix it. Wife said do it since a new one would be #350...

thecfarm

I have a big screen that came off the Mayflower. When it dies I will buy another screen with some size to it. Don't watch much TV but watch ALOT of movies when the weather keeps me inside. Also when we are using Wi and racing 4 cars need the space to see whats going on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

Quote from: Norm on April 18, 2011, 12:16:16 PM

My current favorite maker is samsung.

I cant tell ya how bad I've treated my SAMSUNG phones and other small items.   My CD/BOOM MOX was a 1994 Samsung that just recently lost it's power amp, It been playing non-stop over 3 years out in the barn as a Bird/Trespasser deterrent.

I picked up a 42" 3 years ago now that has run a LOT LCD and has lower refresh rate, similar ones now are 1/3 the cost.   REALLY nice though & also have a DVD/VHS up convert player that is also Samsung and works good.   It will record both ways if ya want to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Norm

Woodhauler if you have a walmart or sams club in your area they have very good prices on the flat screens. Amazon is pretty aggressive also with no sales tax but you have to mess with delivery from them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major makers but I have heard of some issues with the LED technology, most likely they will get ironed out but when I compared the LCD to the LED displays I couldn't really tell much difference.

I just bought a new blue ray player that upscales the normal dvd's to almost hi def. Really makes a difference on watching them.

Warbird

Our BluRay player upscales normal DVD video, too.  Our TV is old though, and only does 720p.  It'll have to do for now.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Jeff on April 17, 2011, 11:11:09 PM
Quote from: DouginUtah on April 17, 2011, 10:23:21 PM

I'd buy a Vizio again.
o
Same here
Well i'm heading sam's club to buy  the grand daddy of them all,a vizoi 55 inch tv! No more squinting for me!Lets hope the old woman agrees with my purchase when she gets home!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 19, 2011, 01:20:48 PM
Quote from: Jeff on April 17, 2011, 11:11:09 PM
Quote from: DouginUtah on April 17, 2011, 10:23:21 PM

I'd buy a Vizio again.
o
Same here
Well i'm heading sam's club to buy  the grand daddy of them all,a vizoi 55 inch tv! No more squinting for me!Lets hope the old woman agrees with my purchase when she gets home!

If she don't like it, tell her she's welcome to keep watching the 13" B&W set...

metalspinner

Woodhauler,

Installed yet?  Did you remember the special cable needed to get the best picture?  That always happens to me.  

Just last week I picked up a trolling motor at Bass Pro.  Thought it just connected straight to the battery. Nope.  It needs an outlet...back to BP. ::) Same thing with our big screen.  Special cable to get get the best picture quality. Back to Best Buy.  

QuoteI think you guys need bigger book shelves

Swamp Donkey,

He bought a 55" TV so he could build a monster bookcase around it. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Woodhauler

Quote from: metalspinner on April 20, 2011, 07:38:59 AM
Woodhauler,

Installed yet?  Did you remember the special cable needed to get the best picture?  That always happens to me.  

Just last week I picked up a trolling motor at Bass Pro.  Thought it just connected straight to the battery. Nope.  It needs an outlet...back to BP. ::) Same thing with our big screen.  Special cable to get get the best picture quality. Back to Best Buy.  

QuoteI think you guys need bigger book shelves

Swamp Donkey,

He bought a 55" TV so he could build a monster bookcase around it. ;)
Got it up and running,but need to update my satellite tv to hd to get the full use out of it! Had a falling out with dish network today! After10 years i wasn't qualified for any free upgrades!!!!!!! So i am a direct tv customer now! Same programing with 3 hd dvr hook ups installed for less money then i am paying now!

Thank You Sponsors!