iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2011 Fire Season

Started by Ron Scott, April 16, 2011, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

National Fire News

According to the National Interagency Fire Center, as of July 6, 10 states-Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Texas-are reporting large fires. The number of acres burned by active fires is 1,168,533.
For the latest national fire information, visit the NIFC website.

The E-Forester
~Ron

WDH

Heavy smoke pall here today and we are over 200 miles away from the big fire in the Okeefenokee Swamp.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

Arizona Wildfire Essentially Contained, but Concerns Shift to Flooding

The Associated Press, July 5th
With the largest wildfire in Arizona history all but contained, specialized units pulled out of eastern Arizona on Tuesday leaving authorities at the heavily-scorched sites of blazes around the state to shift their focus to a new vulnerability -- water. To read more of this article link to: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/05/arizona-wildfire-essentially-contained-but-concerns-shift-to-flooding/#ixzz1RS6dTkvm

The E-Forester
~Ron

Ron Scott

Some monsoon moisture has moved into New Mexico but not enough to make a big difference yet. Tuesday is forecast to have the greatest chance of significant precipitation. After that we enter another drying spell through the end of the week.

Las Conchas is 50% contained. They will be scaling back to 2 Type 1 IMT's tomorrow.

MAFFS flew only 2 sorties to 2 new starts yesterday, one in AZ and one in NM.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Canadian fires bring smoke to the U.P.

July 19, 2011

The Daily News

MARQUETTE -A heavy layer of smoke covering the central and western Upper Peninsula is the result of forest fires burning in Ontario, Canada, according to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

Citizens across the affected area have been calling public safety officials with concerns about the smoke.

Michigan DNR spotter planes checked the area this morning for the source of the smoke. Pilots report that the smoke is coming from Canada and is blowing across Lake Superior and over the central and western Upper Peninsula.

There are no reports of any fires in the Upper Peninsula.

~Ron

chevytaHOE5674

Yep every now you can see and smell the smoke rolling across the lake.

woodtroll

The Whoop Up fire is rapping up here. Started last Monday am from lightning. I have been learning how to run a D7 on it. I will post pics when I get more time.
The firefighters have done real well and contained it at 9000 acres.

All that winter/spring moisture has grown the grass thick. Now it is dry and very flammable.

sawguy21

We have had a cool wet spring and and although sunny temps are still below seasonal averages. No fires to speak of here in B.C. First time in many years.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Destructive Toll of Texas's Bearing Fire Apparent from Aerial Tour

The Lufkin Daily News, Published by Jessica Cooley, July 18th
Spanning more than 20,000 acres, the Bearing Fire is now 100 percent contained but its destructive toll is clear and impressive from the air, according to local pilots. This week pilots Don Lymberry and Steve Reeves flew a Lufkin Daily News reporter and photographer over the fire ground, pointing out areas of importance inside the fire perimeter. To read more of this article link to: http://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article_59f0b374-b0a0-11e0-8c7b-001cc4c002e0.html

The E-Forester
~Ron

Ron Scott

National Fire News

According to the National Interagency Fire Center, as of July 27, 9 states-California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, and Wyoming-have reported large fires, and the number of acres burned by active fires totals 561,230.

For the latest national fire information, visit the NIFC website.

The E-Forester
~Ron

woodtroll

My prayers to the friends and family of this young man.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/latest/hot-springs-firefighter-killed-in-coal-canyon-fire/article_eb43a854-c48c-11e0-83d7-001cc4c002e0.html

The fire season is picking up here, lets stay extra alert, make sure the values protected are worth the risk.

Ron Scott

Mule train supplies firefighters at the Lion Fire on the Sequoia National Forest 

A pack train of 30 horses and mules is helping to supply firefighters who are working to contain the Lion Fire in the Golden Trout Wilderness, Sequoia National Forest.  The animals are hauling food and supplies into the Lion Meadow area where 55 firefighters are based.  Animals from seven national forests in California are part of the packing effort, which is being coordinated by the Forest Service's regional pack stock program.  Hauling approximately 1,200 pounds per trip, the pack train can supply a crew of 20 people for three days.

Chief's Newletter
~Ron

clww

We have the largest-ever fire burning for more than a week now in the Great Dismal Swamp. This is on the Eastern VA-NC border and so far has burned more than 6000 acres. Smoke has been blowing regularly into our area, about 50 miles away, depending on the wind direction. Due to the remote area and topography, only a hurricane is expected to extinguish it in the foreseeable future. :-\
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

woodtroll

http://wildfiretoday.com/2011/08/16/services-held-for-trampus-haskvitz/

There was an impressive showing for this young man.
We had to pull out off the procession just before it started, we had a fire call back at our home area, (go figure).
I hope I do not have to go to another one of these for a long time.

Be careful out there.

Ron Scott

A sad loss of a young firefighter.
~Ron

woodtroll

clww
I know an engine from here that went there, The Swamp Fire.
I leave at 5 for my next in state.

Ron Scott

At Least 6 Fires Burning in Wyoming

The Houston Chronicle, August 24th
Six wildfires were burning in Wyoming on Tuesday, including one that has blackened about 8,500 acres of trees and grass 15 miles west of Wheatland. Authorities said the Wheatland fire destroyed a seasonal cabin and an outbuilding. The lightning-started fire is about 20 percent contained. About 200 personnel were on scene. A fire in the Gros Ventre Wilderness northeast of Jackson had burned about 3,600 acres by Tuesday. About 75 personnel were on the scene. Fire managers had not posted a containment figure. The lightning-caused fire was spotted on Saturday. To read more of this article link to: Link

~Ron

woodtroll

I just got back from a fire tour. Twelve days of fun...
Today is a red flag day for most of Wyoming so I will likely leave again.

I was on the fire near Wheatland, it ended up at 14400 acres and the cabin was not lost (out house was).
My crew put the line around it, county 6x6's did a good job of protecting it.

My lesson from this fire was a hint at the politics between federal agencies and the state and county (local) agencies.

After that we assisted one of the poorer less populated counties, they had around 20 different fires for a total of 12000 acres.

When I have breathing room I will up load pics.

Ron Scott

Wildfire Update

An Estimated 30,000 Acres Burned in Cass County

News-Journal.com, September 7th
Texas Forest Service officials estimated that as much as 30,000 acres of timber and pasture in Cass and Marion counties had been scorched by wildfires by Tuesday evening. Dozens of residents, along with weary firefighters, friends and onlookers gathered at various points along U.S. 59 and other roadways in the Linden area on Labor Day and into Tuesday. By Tuesday morning, the damage was estimated to be at least 7,000 acres - with zero containment. Estimates of the amount of damage in Cass County grew to 14,000 acres by noon Tuesday. To read more of this article link to:Link

Firefighting Plane's Use in Texas Wildfire Delayed

The Associated Press, September 8th
Firefighters can't use one of their biggest weapons against a devastating wildfire in Central Texas because they don't yet have the tanks and pipes to fill a converted jetliner with fire retardant nor a pilot to fly it over the blaze. The Texas Forest Service says the DC-10 arrived from California on Wednesday, but it won't be used until at least Friday to battle the fire that's destroyed nearly 1,400 homes. Agency spokeswoman Holly Huffman says the state doesn't have the equipment to fill the plane and is awaiting the shipment from California. To read more of this article link to: Link

The E-Forester
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Federal Government Grounded Half Its Firefighting Planes Just Weeks Before The Texas Wildfires

Business Insider, Published by Robert Johnson, September 7th
A fleet of P-3 Orions, vital to the nations ability to control forest fires, were put out of service by the Obama administration following a contract dispute just five weeks ago. According to Human Events, this leaves the federal government with only 11 tankers to battle the more than 50 large uncontrolled forest fires burning nationwide -- including the Texas fires that killed a mother and her child. This is 40 tankers less than was available to the Forest Service just 10 years ago. Aero Union, the largest supplier of heavy-duty air tanker support to the government had their contract cancelled after disagreements over their maintenance plan. Aero CEO Britt Gourley said he and his crews were prepared to fly and instead he was forced to put 60 people out of work with virtually no explanation. To read more of this article link to: http://www.businessinsider.com/grounded-firefighting-planes-texas-wildfires-2011-9#ixzz1XO3g07E0

The E-Forester
~Ron

Texas Ranger

Fires go on, no rain in the sights, at least two more weeks before there is any hope of significant rain.  Homes lost approaching 2000 along with other structures.  Bastrop fire still only 30% contained.  DC 10 on line, but limited, because of nature of the aircraft and crew, to one drop every two days.  Only 2 fields in Texas can handle the fully loaded aircraft, fortunately, one is San Antonia and less than an hours flight to Bastrop.   It can drop 11,000 gallons of retardant over an area a quarter mile long, and 500 feet wide, only slows, does not extinguish.  Don't know if the feds have released the Orions that were shut down due to contract disagreements, but, fed burro's seem to be slow and unresponsive to the need.  Obama did call it a disaster.

I said some where else, the old fire dog in me raises his head every now and then, and I have to pat him back down, this is a young man's job, and it is making old men out of them.  Long hours.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

I can not imagine all the miles of fire and the destruction the fire has left. I've been involved with 2 fires just about ½ miles from my home. They were both small fires,only burned about 5-10 acres.,no homes.I hope that relief is coming to your area soon. You all need it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

Bastrop fire supposedly 50% contained, at around 35,000 acres, Tri County fire supposedly 50% contained at around 25,000 acres. 

Idiots still burning debris and letting it out.

Multiple new fires daily.  This thing will take us well into winter.

Texas Ranger

Ron Scott

THE BWCA IS ON FIRE, AGAIN

Smoke from a large wildfire in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area can be smelled across much of the U.P. and the odor has been strong, at times, in Wisconsin's Fox Valley. 

Twin Cities Pioneer Press article from yesterday (Tuesday).  http://www.twincities.com/ci_18888969

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

PAGAMI CREEK FIRE, some numbers

80,000 size of the fire in acres Tuesday. It is still growing.
28 days the fire has been burning
1 structures burned
0 Injuries
200+ firefighters
11 Aircraft fighting

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!