iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Track wheels

Started by Hale87, April 16, 2011, 12:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

On my older Hudson, I have less than bearings for track wheels.
Thinking about doing a mod.
Do you think units that sit on top of the small inverted angle iron run up and down the track smoother than the ones that sit on top of the sharp narrow vertical edge of larger angle iron???
If there's a noticable difference I'll weld the smaller inverted angle iron on top of the large angle iron. My mill also runs on three pieces of spliced together angle iron so the small inverted angle iron would give me a seamless run.

Thoughts........
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

bandmiller2

Hale,I've had very good luck with "V" groove castor wheels on inverted angle ^    ^ those wheels are ment to cary heavy loads and have roller bearings.Endplay can be a problem I used washers and double nutted the threaded end of the axle, can be adjusted to "O" play yet turn free. I don't quite understand about welding to  your existing angle iron it would be tough to weld an inverted angle iron to the top of  the upright angle,the flat would be better.Whats wrong with your existing set up?? mayby new wheels would be the easiest fix. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hale87

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 16, 2011, 08:46:32 PM
Whats wrong with your existing set up?? mayby new wheels would be the easiest fix. Frank C.
I probably should just upgrade to better wheels. The crappy wheels that are on it now don't have bearings on the inside. It's not very smooth running up and down the track. On top of that, Hudson left a lot of "slop" in them, so the carriage vibrates around too much for my liking. In the end there's two things that could be helped. Take some of the vibration out of the head, plus make the carriage easier to push up and down the tracks.

On Cook's page they sell two kinds of rollers. The first one they recommend being used with the inverted angle iron on hydraulic mills, and the other kind of roller they sell be used for manual mills with the "L" type angle iron.
Meaning:
inverted=hydraulic
"L" type=manual

Thanks for the input. Now I just need to find a narrow wheel because there's not a lot of space between the track and the carriage which is lower than the top of the angle iron.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!